Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2003, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah,one mooore thing,what species is the one that video?Mine is the same species just darker brown.
Old 12/26/2003, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I hope not! I wouldn't feed him anything for a couple of days if he ate 12 shrimp. When Dudley was 2 inches long he ate a small piece of frozen krill, squid, or silverside every other day. They don't know what full is so you have to be careful......
Old 12/27/2003, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

I think its a sargassum frogfish Histro hisrto is the scientific name I believe. they are less able to change their color and do well with lots of algae or caulerpa in the tank. They live on huge sargassum, seaweed, rafts. Very cool fish indeed.
Old 12/27/2003, 04:05 AM
Pods are food NOT FRIENDS

Does anyone know where you might find a "smallspot" frogfish? It is only supposed to get 2" long. Not sure if that name is right, I can't seem to find the article I read it in.
Old 12/27/2003, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

I think its also called a spot fin frogfish, Antennarius nummifer.
Old 12/27/2003, 11:32 AM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by mantisshrimp
Oh yeah,one mooore thing,what species is the one that video?Mine is the same species just darker brown.
If you mean the video I made, it was a striatus (sp).
Old 12/27/2003, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

thanks mine is the same-he is still alive moved around the tank.Are the supposed to go on the rocks?mine hangs out on the sand.
Old 12/29/2003, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Today, he threw up.All he ate came out-most was digested.
Old 01/05/2004, 03:56 AM
I'm Not Creative

these fish are too awesome. what is the smallest tank that they can stay comfortably in? would a five or ten gallon be way too small for the smaller frogfish?

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 01/05/2004, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Our LFS has 3" warty in a 10g Eclipse. He's the only inhabitant and he seems happy enough.
Old 01/05/2004, 08:40 AM
VILP

When I was researching frogfish before getting one, I found that the recommended size for one of the smaller species of frogfish, full grown, was 20-30 gallons. For the amount that they actually move around, it would certainly seem like a smaller tank was sufficient. I've had two (one died) - one in a 20-gallon tank and one currently in a 39-gallon tank. They both exhibit the same characteristic of sitting in one place for a few hours, then moving to a different spot and sitting for a while. If the tank was too small, they wouldn't be able to do much of that. I've never seen any study of how far their "range" is in the wild.

Cheri
Old 01/05/2004, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

well mine's in a 10 gallon.He's still alive but he won't accept frozen krill,or frozen shrimp from the supermarket.how do I acclimate him to frozen food?I tried using the feeding stick,but he's too smart.
Old 01/05/2004, 11:47 AM
I EAT FISH

I just had to move mine into my 54g reef tank because the light went out on my nano that he calls home. He really likes having the extra space I think. My clown fish are the only 2 fish that could possibly one day be a meal for him so I think they should be safe because they almost never leave there BTA. So I might just leave him in there.
Old 01/05/2004, 11:53 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by mantisshrimp
well mine's in a 10 gallon.He's still alive but he won't accept frozen krill,or frozen shrimp from the supermarket.how do I acclimate him to frozen food?I tried using the feeding stick,but he's too smart.
I haven't had any success with mine and a feeding stick either, though I know some people have. Fish have individual personalities. Scott Michael suggests the following technique, though I haven't tried it yet: Get a small net and get your frogfish used to taking his live food from inside the net. He'll come to associate net with food after a while. Then try one of your feeder fish freshly killed given to him in the net. If that works, try the frozen next.

Cheri
Old 01/05/2004, 12:01 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
I just had to move mine into my 54g reef tank because the light went out on my nano that he calls home. He really likes having the extra space I think. My clown fish are the only 2 fish that could possibly one day be a meal for him so I think they should be safe because they almost never leave there BTA. So I might just leave him in there.
Your frogfish wouldn't care that the light was out in the nano, but IMO you are playing with fire leaving the frogfish in a tank with your clownfish. I don't know just how big a difference there is in the size of your frogfish compared to the clownfish, but they have been known to attempt to eat fish twice their size - and it generally kills the frogfish. If your clownfish normally stay in their BTA, that means the frogfish will learn pretty quickly where to find them. I really don't think these are the brightest fish on earth and it wouldn't shock me to find out the frogfish ventured into the BTA to go after the smallest clownfish (your male I'll bet). He could get badly stung even if he doesn't try die trying to eat the larger fish. Most fish avoid anemones, but I have a Filiment wrasse that was stung because he tried to grab the piece of fish I'd just fed the BTA.

Just food for thought.
Cheri
Old 01/05/2004, 12:04 PM
I EAT FISH

Yes I am a little nervous about it and I would rather get the other tanks light fixed first but I would hope that these guys know how to survive in the wild and can figure out what to stay away from in regards to anemones. I'm going to try to keep him fed so that he doesn't have to do something drastic like go after a clown fish in his home.
Old 01/05/2004, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Keeping him well-fed won't matter......I kept Dudley well-fed and he still went after his tankmate an arc-eye hawfish. The result was disasterous (see pic)! That's why I'm still looking for a new frogfish right now. Take him out and let him sit in the dark until you can come up with a new lighting system.......

Fishy1
Old 01/05/2004, 04:19 PM
Bored Reefer

Frogfish are so cool. It would be good if they had their own forum, but I'm not sure their is enough frogfish owners.
Old 01/05/2004, 04:23 PM
VILP

That's why I've been loving this thread. I did all the research I could before buying mine and didn't find much. It is nice for those few of us that have them to exchange experiences and help each other out!

Cheri
Old 01/05/2004, 04:44 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

The LFS around the corner from me has one right now that's bigger than a softball. I'm going to venture over today and see about grabbing a few pics. Hopefully I'll post later tonight.
Old 01/05/2004, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Can't wait to see them Spanker Sure hope I can locate one soon......

Janey
Old 01/05/2004, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

If I'm not mistaken, a frogfish forum was requested a while back and denied......maybe someday there will be enough of us

Janey
Old 01/05/2004, 05:07 PM
I EAT FISH

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy1
Keeping him well-fed won't matter......I kept Dudley well-fed and he still went after his tankmate an arc-eye hawfish. The result was disasterous (see pic)! That's why I'm still looking for a new frogfish right now. Take him out and let him sit in the dark until you can come up with a new lighting system.......

Fishy1
Alright I'll take him out today. Don't want anything bad to happen to him or the clown fish.
Old 01/05/2004, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Glad you are going to take him out.......I wouldn't wish what happend to me/my frogfish on anybody. It's so tragic not being able to do anything about it after the deed is done.....your clown fish will sleep much better tonight!LOL!!

Fishy1
Old 01/06/2004, 02:17 AM
Professional somedays

Hey guys. I have a 7g nano and was looking at setting up some sort of frogfish or angler. My lfs has an angler in there tank, 6 months, and it's pretty cool. Have been wanting one since I saw it. But never thought of it until now b/c one of the guys there told me I could never afford one. So I was thinking $1000s. I mean I have seen fish upword of 500 dollars and this one was cooler so.... Reading this post and talking to the lfs I found that one's 50-120 bucks, depending on species.

Anyways I read all of your posts. I've got the basics. Question is which one to get? The frogfish can get to 11.8 inches right? So I would be stuck getting the angler? Or could I get the frogfish and switch him over in a yr, when I move. The frogfish look amazing with the little bait they put out for the fish. I really like that. Are they photo something so they will change colors? I have a really purple tank so would it go purp? That would be amazing! The angler can only go yellow/white right? Does anyone know the scientific name of both? Any recommended food for feeding? I have my carpet, another tank, on squid, silverslides, and shrimp. Could I just use this food on both? I love the pics from people!! If anyone has more pics to post that would help me make up my mind.