Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Sea Grass for my Lagoon

I have a 10x4x30" tall lagoon i built with a 6" sand bed. I would like to get some nice sea grasses and macro algea for my rays and sharks... is there one place that is better than others to order from???? any suggestions on the best type for reducing nitrates????

jarrod
Old 06/26/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Chaeto is your best bet for reducing nitrates, but if this is a display tank you way want to go with something a little more attractive. If you're not keeping corals, I'd say go with some caulerpa
Old 06/26/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

neither of those... i have a cheato ball.. but the tank is sea grass for sharks and rays... a look down tub. i dont want caulerpa or cheato really in there. would rather have some turtle grass... or shoal grass something to that effect. so what is the best place everyone has found to order from
Old 06/27/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

I think Florida Pets has some seagrass right now, at least they did last time I checked. It's gonna take a long time or a lot of grass to fill in a tank that size though. If it were me I'd still throw some caulerpa prolifera or feather caulerpa in addition to any seagrass, if you're looking down on it I think it would still look pretty nice. What sort of lighting do you have on this setup?
Old 06/27/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

shaving brush, mermaids fan, and maidens hair all look great if you give them enough room, which your tank would have, and they all lower nitrates and the first two live in the sand.
Old 06/27/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

lighting is just NO 6500k bulbs now.. might upgrade to t-5 when i can afford it... this broke the bank...lol
Old 06/27/2007, 09:10 PM
Sea cowgirl

I'm not sure seagrass is even the way to go to begin with. Rays often like to bury themselves in sand. While seagrass beds can be a natural habitat for many species of ray, they also can tear up seagrass areas through normal foraging. The sharks I dont know.

I would go with a seagrass look alike and experiment with it first before launching into seagrass itself. Caulerpa prolifera, which was already suggested, is hard to distinguish from seagrass - especially if this is a top down tank. Plus, its hardy, won't absolutely die if its ripped up from time to time, can exist on less light, and can be had fairly inexpensively (and often from the local club).

Just my thoughts.

>Sarah
Old 07/06/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

do i have to worry about the caulera prolifera going sexual like the rest of the caulerpa family? is there any better or worse caulerpa going sexual or not? lighitng is just 12 hours a day.. same as tank.. for the shakr and ray.. and will be a few NO lights 6500 and one 250 halide over the rock/reef structure..
Old 07/06/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I've had my prolifera have part of a blade go sexual but the rest of the plant will continue on just fine. I've personally never seen an entire section of it go sexual.
Old 07/06/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

so you just cut out whats bad then.... does this type of calurpa do a good job of nitrate reduction?