Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Emergency!!!! - Stung By Rabbitfish

Emergency!!!! - Venom From Rabbitfish
Not sure whom to get info from, but my husband was "stung" by our Foxface Rabbitfish. I've already talked to the family dr and Poison Control..... Not much info available.

I arrived home and he was SOUND asleep and difficult to wake up. He had altered mental status and didn't remember (still doesn't) laying down.

His mental status is better but he is slow to think of words and has over a 2 hr period that he doesn't remember at all! He has at least 3 puncture marks on his arm and the skin underneath is a little hard. He said that the wound is much better now.

He of course does not want to go to the hospital ER, because now he's "fine". He does have an autonomic nervous system disorder which may be playing into this.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Old 06/29/2007, 08:13 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Go to the ER!!! Better safe than sorry.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

As the wife, I totally agree!! However, my stubborn hubby begs to differ!!! The poison control just called to check on him...

Any advice for a DH??!!! We have a daughter and I tried the whole, you don't want to die and leave her without a dad thing to no avail.

I guess that's why I posted on RC to see if I could get any hard facts to throw in his face and "help" him to get to ER.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:26 PM
Girls Rule!

Goto the ER. Normally they will not cause problems, but he's obviously having some reaction if it's that bad. A bee sting won't kill you if it does not affect you. But if you are allergic to them, one sting could kill.

GOTO the ER and have him monitored. There is no info on RC that's going to help you other then this. He got stung, has had a bad reaction that's serious, GOTO THE ER!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope your family is okay and he's going to be okay!!!
Old 06/29/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Make sure your insurance premium is paid up.........
Old 06/29/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

hope they are on their way to get him checked out....
Old 06/29/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

well new to this not sure what to tell you other than good luck and ill pray (hope that dosent offend you or anyone else)
Old 06/29/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Why would you not take him to the ER with those symptoms? He's too stubborn, call an ambulance...
Old 06/29/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

I agree with the rest of you. It is easy to assume that there won't be a problem, but I'm not sure how many people get stung by a rabbit fish each year to make that assumption!...Plus you NEVER know what reaction he may be having that may be different from the norm. Medications he may be taking that you aren't thinking of, etc. It's probably o.k but I really wouldn't risk it. Blacking out and having trouble speaking and moving is nothing to be taken lightly! I hope the best for you!
Old 06/29/2007, 10:18 PM
Zoanthid collector

I was stung by one a while back, but it only made the area a bit tingly, so it just sounds like he is having a worse reaction.
Old 06/29/2007, 10:22 PM
Phyto tank master

If the familly doctor said nothing...

I would go to clean the wound, but here ER is free here, with 8-12 hours of waiting.

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 06/29/2007, 10:35 PM
Team RC Member

Try providing him an image of what the ER will do, like give him either a shot of Medrol or a dosepack of Medrol. It's a lot like a fiddleback bite, and can cause tissue necrosis [blackening and dying of tissue in an area. I've seen a guy with a thumb that looked like advanced frostbite, totally black. Tell him [on the analogy with fiddlebacks] that skin grafts are no fun, and the longer he delays this the harder it's going to be to treat. If you have a GP you can call, you may be able to get him a dosepack from the pharmacy if you absolutely can't get him to go. I'm going to google up the type of venom, and see if I can get some answer for you.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/29/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Keep some smelling salts in the home for next time just in case.
A defibrillator is also wise...

Try to squeeze any poison out of the wound, if the atrophy or pain isn't stopping you...

Milk might be wise too, might not hurt to see if that soothes it

You really should go to the ER though... take a stand and throw him in the car
Old 06/29/2007, 10:41 PM
ummmmmm yeah

Any news ons this?? Did he go? Is he alright? I hope so....
Old 06/29/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
well new to this not sure what to tell you other than good luck and ill pray (hope that dosent offend you or anyone else)
You should never have to apologize for something like that. Whether that is inline with this person's beliefs or anyone else's beliefs who happens to post here. No one should take offense to your good intentions (whether religious or otherwise) when the bottom line is you are expressing a genuine concern for someone else's troubles and are doing something you think could be of help to them.

That said, reefallen, I hope you have been to or are at the ER or doctor, as it sounds like a pretty serious reaction to a sting.
Old 06/29/2007, 10:54 PM
Team RC Member

sovereign remedy for marine stings is hot water. HOWEVER: no article I could locate identifies the exact toxin or classifies it...it is said to be less painful than a lionfish, worse than a catfish, at least in pain: catfish toxin is really bad stuff. SECOND HOWEVER: if you have an allergic reaction to a marine toxin, all bets are off about the severity of the reaction, and a doctor should be involved asap.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I think you have to pee on him.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

If you have any Bendryl lying around, give him some of that. If it truly is an allergic rxn, that'll help block it somewhat. Whenever someone comes into the pharmacy with an allergic rxn to something, its Benadryl for them. Good luck!
Old 06/29/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmf507
Why would you not take him to the ER with those symptoms? He's too stubborn, call an ambulance...
that was the best reply i saw and exactly the approach i suggest
i hope all turns out well
Old 06/29/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

To see a doctor in the ER, you might have to shoot him first as a gunshot wound would get a higher priority. The wait in an ER is horrible.

I'd get him there ASAP.

My wife's med books say to immobilize and soak affected area in nonscalding hot water and get medical attention ASAP.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

If he wont go to the ER see if you have a 24 hour urgent care in your area. It's more like a regular doctor visit, and usually alot faster. Good luck, I hope everything is ok!!!!
Old 06/30/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

If you came in by ambulance or even walked into most ERs (read: even large, urban academic centers and county hospitals) having an allergic/anaphylactoid/anaphylactic reaction, they would not make you wait in the waiting room. Even if they were "full" they would likely pull up a chair or stretcher to get you started...IV steroids, diphenhydramine, and probably famotidine/ranitidine, etc... and they would want to keep a close eye on you.

Hope that you are doing better.
Old 06/30/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

I have to concur, take him to the ER! Whether he wants to go or not. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06/30/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

reefallen, i hope everything turns out ok and your husband is back to 100% SOON. i find it utterly wierd that this post of how do I save my husband's life is right next to what do I feed my tangs... it puts things into perspective.

God bless.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Yep, it really puts things in perspective.

I don't think the venom from a rabbitfish is any more toxic than from a honeybee's, unless you're body has a reaction to it and one goes into anaphylactic shock. This is similar to the threads we read here about a small cut on your hand turning into a life threatening infection after cleaning the tank.