Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/01/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Tank Running Hot

My tank is finished it's cycle but is running hot. I hae a Gen-X pump that adds heat (to be replaced by Eheim in a week) as well as my home does not have air conditioning as yet. I will get AC in probably 3 weeks and the temperature outside will drop drastically next week.

My tank temperature (no livestock) is 83 - 86 degrees. Would it be safe to add my two percula clowns this weekend in these tempuratures?
Old 06/01/2007, 09:15 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Ever thought of getting a small chiller?

" Charles V "
Old 06/01/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I would position a fan so it blows over your sump, you would be amazed just how much that will help.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:19 AM
Team RC Member

No. Wait for a/c. The temp is too hot. The tank will not be healthy until it is running in the zone. Too-warm water is oxygen depleted, and not good for anything.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: Tank Running Hot

Quote:
Originally posted by gummi
My tank is finished it's cycle but is running hot. I hae a Gen-X pump that adds heat (to be replaced by Eheim in a week) as well as my home does not have air conditioning as yet. I will get AC in probably 3 weeks and the temperature outside will drop drastically next week.

My tank temperature (no livestock) is 83 - 86 degrees. Would it be safe to add my two percula clowns this weekend in these tempuratures?
I dont understand that??? where are your two clowns in right now? another tank I asume? and whats the temp in that one?
Old 06/01/2007, 09:47 AM
Soul of a Sailor

The temperature is absolutely fine and completely natural for the animals. The water isn't oxygen depleted.

The only worry I would have would be that the temp would continue to climb as the summer goes on and get to potentially dangerous levels. Hopefully your a/c will fix that.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

To clarify:

The tank is new. There is no livestock. The two clowns I want to add I want to buy on Saturday as a LFS has a big shipment and great prices.

I'm not worried about the oxygen level. Since I have 1580 GPH flowing through it there should be plenty of aeriation. This pump will be downgraded to a lower flow Eheim in a week that will require 50 watts less power and will generate way less heat. Also, the temperatures outside drop on Saturday.

I certainly can place a fan towards the tank - not a problem.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Unregistered Member

You want to have the fan blowing at the surface of the water. Sump is probably a good place to have the fan.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Don't add any livestock. I recommend that you first check your heater to see at what temperature it is set. If it's set at 83 degrees F then the only thing your heater will do when you get the A/C is try to heat up the tank, thus, wasting energy and increasing your electrical bill. Personally, I use a small fan that is meant to be clipped onto the head board of your bed, but it works fine for my tank. Last summer I was fortunate enough not to have to use it, but with my tank temp reaching 81.5 degrees F yesterday NIGHT, I figured put the fan back on before it's too late. My tank usually stays between 79.3 and 80.5 degrees F, so you can see why I was concerned.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

I failed to mention that my fan blows air into my sump water, not the tank.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

The heaters (Eheim Jager) are set to 79 degrees and are calibrated...
Old 06/02/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

If I were you, I would use a fan if I couldn't afford a decent chiller. One downside to a fan is increased evaporation. Another is if the fan guard is made of metal, it will rust over time.
Old 06/02/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member.

i agree drop a fan over the sump...will lower temps