Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

sun coral

hi

well i have my sun coral in my tank for about 2 months now and i was wonder y its tentacle are not as long as some of the other pics i see online

heres an image of the sun coral right before feeding

here are some image of it while feeding

does the sun coral look healthy and happy? i feed it once every two days, what i do is feed my tank with brime and cyclops-ezzes first, that will allow my sun coral to open up and i feed it like 30 mins laters

thanks
Orbit

should i be feeding everyday? im afraid that by feeding everyday i ended up overfeeding my tank and i dont want to do that
Old 01/11/2008, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I see some parts of the skeloton. how are you feeding it? I fed mine mysis shrimp everyother day before i had to give it up to a friend who was home more often. I fed mine in a medium sized bowl of tank water using a syringe to direct inject the food.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Here is a photo of mine to compare it to.

I feed mine misis shrimp every day.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

yea when i first bought it, it was like that but nothing opening up,

billhig1: wow thats a beautiful looking coral, how long have u had it in your tank?

cpl40475: i feed it mysis shrimp as well, some times i take the sun coral out and put him in a container, and spot feed it there and sometimes i feed it in the tank with now maxijet on and use a "god" stick to prevent the shrimps from stealing its food

when its in the tank i use a small syringe with a blue straw(pic 3) so i can feed it without getting my hands wet
Old 01/11/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I have had mine for 3 months now. I had to train it to eat.
I turn off all my pumps and use a turkey baster to feed each mouth for five minuts and then turn on all the pumps again. I also have a problem with the shrimps, so as I feed the coral I shoot some food at the shrimps.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

heres mine

i dont se much difference between them all

sana
Old 01/11/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

yea i tried feeding the shrimp and fish on the opposite end of the tank but for some reason the shrimp wont eat or dont want to, they rather steal from the sun lol

the difference im asking about is the length of the tentacle lol, the fist pic i post is the longest ive seen em, sometimes i try to look late at night and they are all closed up well most of em,

i guess i will continue spot feeding em and hope they glow longer,
Old 01/11/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

maybe you should put a dish over the coral while it eats
Old 01/11/2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Get an empty 2liter bottle and cut the bottom off put it over the coral and then blast the insides of it and the food will stay in there and keep other inhabitants from eating the food.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

When I first got my sun coral the tentacles were as long as the ones in the first photo. After a while they seemed to get longer maybe my lighting or maybe cause I feed every day.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

They dont look to bad.I see some smaller ones coming up. They like to be fead daily and if they feed during the day your lucky as most as mine feed only at night. Mix the diet up. Marine cusine , cyclops is great and brine. They also like medium to higher flow and as long as they feed with pumps on no reason to turn them off.
I have a few coral i target feed and the ony way to keep the other fish and crabs from stealing there food is cover them with a plastic bowl.I drill a hole on top to insert targeting device and a few holes on the sides for a little movement. Lighting if to high can actually be bad for them.
Heres a coral care site that may help.GL.

http://www.asira.org/caresheets
Old 01/11/2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

scowiii: yea i tried the bottle method, didnt work so well for me LOL, the shrimps (peppermint and cleaner) tried to go under the cut and get the food out that way ROFL , no matter what i do the shrimp will always be near the sun during feeding time,

as for lighting i have 150W MH under em, but i heard that they dont need that much lighting, so i cut out a rectangle board and place it on the rim of the tank, that way the sun coral doesnt have direct light, that's the only way i can getsun coral will open up.
is their something wrong with the cardboard this way?or should i just not use the cardboard
Old 01/11/2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

o yea i looked through that site before, it has great coral info,

i feed them mysis every time LOL,

i do put cyclops in the tank before i feed em just to get em to open up
Old 01/12/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Try placing in the shadows as 150 under a 20 is alot.And not a bottle but an oversized bowl The holes help it fill wil water and use a frag or something to wiegh it down . Leave it covered for a few hours and remove whene they are done eating.