Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/02/2008, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

Hi Donna, I have had similar issues with the RSM stock substrate. When I vacume the substrate, I now put a kink in the hose as I hold it and when I see the substrate raise too high in the pipe I kink the tube to stop the flow untill the substrate drops back down. Hope you know what I mean.

LaurentSeattle - I love your yellow zoa's (middle left of piclure). What type are they? Sorry if they arnt yellow, I'm a bit colour blind
Old 01/02/2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Brent, Nice job. I am really interested how you plumbed a sump into your RSM. How does the water get from the tank into the sump? And you explained the return but could you do it again. Some pictures from the back, if possible, would be appreciated.

Marty

Marty, Here's the pictures from the back with the hood on

Here's the view inside the skimmer lid

Here's what the Overflow and drain line look like. You can also see the top of the protein skimmer in this shot

and here's an overhead shot
Old 01/02/2008, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Gigs; I do this too, but still, lose sand ... up the tube. I am not using the RSM stock substrate, but that doesn't make any difference.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Happy New Year Morning All! Sorry - I didn't stay up till midnight to welcome the new year. I figured it would arrive without me being awake Last day of my 11 days away from work - waaaah! At least it's a 3 day work week, so that part will help with the readjustment of working again. I was able to do my water change yesterday, without messing with anything in the tank, and knocking anything loose - a major achievement for me! Today I'll get some water testing done.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I think you may have ordered the Dekalit water jugs the other day? I got a shipping notice from US Plastics that my order "has been shipped partial." Based on their website something is on backorder, but logging in I can't tell what - the 3 or 5 gallon jugs. If you ordered the same day I did - did you get a partial shipping notice?
Happy New Year Reefmack-

No problem or email sent about my order of 6 - 5gal. Dekalit jugs.

r/Kent
Old 01/02/2008, 08:21 AM
Genuine reef addict

good job with the pics Donna and Laurent! Sorry you couldn't see the video Rue - you didn't miss a lot LOL.

Donna - I finally got rid of the diatom, but yes - if I got the siphon too close I'd suck some substrate up. I went back to a smaller diameter siphon & it's wasn't as bad, but that one barely pulls anything up. Maybe someone has a good recommendation.

NaCl+H2O Fish - maybe they haven't even shipped any of your order yet? Maybe it's the 5g they're out of. I assume you would have gotten a standard "shipment sent" email if anything has gone yet.

BrentF - nice job, but way beyond my expertise!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

This one works pretty good. I got mine from Petsmart (Link to the product )

The product description says: "Quick-start feature gets the siphon going. Nozzle is designed to easily reach into corners. Features a bucket clip, non-kink hosing and an exclusive gravel guard feature."
And it works as described. No substrate gets sucked up. The bucket clip is very handy (no more acrobatics holding one end of the tubing in the bucket with one hand and the vacuuming with the other.). The bucket clip can also be used to restrict the flow a little so the water flows slower.

Michael
MAXreefer

Old 01/02/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I'll be getting myself one of those cleaners! The bucket clip will be a handy item ... I seem to get engrossed in what I'm doing inside the tank ... only to realize that I'm missing the bucket at the other end, ... now if only they'd invent an alarm that warns me when I should stop and empty the pail, too!
Old 01/02/2008, 11:33 AM
Genuine reef addict

MAXreefer - how does the "easy start" work on that siphon? It is by filling the big portion and lifting it up to get the water to drain and the siphon started?

I'm starting to see siphons showing up again with a squeeze bulb starter on the drain end to get the siphon started. I had this type years ago and really liked it. I've even recently seen just the squeeze bulb section sold - use your own tubing. I'll probably try this type soon - to make it easier to get a siphon started to suck up all the grit and junk that settles in the back compartment of the RSM. In this case I want it to suck up as much as possible.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
MAXreefer - how does the "easy start" work on that siphon? It is by filling the big portion and lifting it up to get the water to drain and the siphon started?
Yes... It goes very easily. Just a few up and down movements and it starts...

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/02/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

donna53w most of the pictures are taken with the 18-55mm 2.8 lense that came with the camera only one is taken with a 70-300mm 5.6 macro lense and about eight feet from the tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks abyall. Your photos are really great to look at & enjoy! I don't have extra lenses with my digital camera so I'll really have to get at experimenting and learning how to take good shots.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Hagen Gravel Vacuum

Quote:
Originally posted by MAXreefer
Yes... It goes very easily. Just a few up and down movements and it starts...

Michael
MAXreefer
Thank You Michael a.k.a. MAXreefer!

- I never cease to be amazed with what I learn on the "RSM Owners Club" forum!
Quick question: The Hagen Gravel Vacuum comes in small, medium and large... What size are you using for your RSM?

It is 57 F in Hollywood, FL today... Please DO NOT offer any sympathy for me! I know it is A LOT WORSE & MUCH COLDER for most of you as I write this post!

The majority of the year, my homes ambient temperature is 78 F and I feel confident I am going to need a chiller for my RSM using the stock hood and fans!

I would greatly appreciate personal reviews and opinions on brands of chillers and sizes you all may be using.....

Happy New Year,
Kent

P.S. - Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my RO/DI...
http://filterdirect.com/catalog/prod...products_id=29
Maybe a week away from the birth of my RSM! Yeah! Meanwhile I keep learning and getting great ideas! Thanks!
Old 01/02/2008, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- I am in Phoenix and im freezing my a$$ off! It's been in the 50's for weeks and down in the 30's at night! In the summer time its 110+ here for months on end and I have been wondering the same thing!
Old 01/02/2008, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
NaCl+H2O Fish -- I am in Phoenix and im freezing my a$$ off! It's been in the 50's for weeks and down in the 30's at night! In the summer time its 110+ here for months on end and I have been wondering the same thing!
I feel sooooo sorry for you guys. Come and live here...we have now -2.

Back to business:
I have the Current USA 1/15 HP Prime Mini Chiller - Dual Stage - (2680)
Good deal here .
Works great for about a year now. Almost no noise. Great thing is you can also plug in the heater into the chiller. This way the chiller controls the cooler and the heater. Never gets to cold or to warm.

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/02/2008, 04:34 PM
Genuine reef addict

31 here in NC at 4:25pm with the teens tonight. Michael is in a colder place, and I'll bet the Canadians are pretty darn cool! I used to always have to travel to International Falls (America's Icebox), Minnesota in January or February. The last time I was there the air temp. was 50 below zero, and the wind chill 80 below. Even growing up in northern Illinois I was never that cold. That was the first time I'd seen spit freeze before it could hit the ground. My condolences to Michael in Minnesota

As Michael posted I've found that it's always good to check prices at petmountain.com. They don't have everything, but their price is often the best you'll find if they have what you want.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Been Their, Lived Their! Don't Care to Again!

Ever heard of Gunnison, Colorado Reefmack? About a 90 minute drive east along Highway 50 from my hometown of Montrose, CO.
I remember when it was always a mid-winter competition between International Falls, MN & Gunnison, CO for the COLDEST spots in the US!!!

I'm sure BrentF, our newest friend is laughing right now.... He told me after his first photo post that it was 14 F in Calgary! Hmmm - Where does an Ironman Triathlete Train in the winter?

All of our Canadian and Minnesota friends would laugh at me and Y-DesygnGuy, bundled up because of a 30 - 50 F cold snap!

MAXreefer- Thanks as always for the info on the Current USA 1/15 HP model 2680... and the link to petmountain.com! I like the idea of QUIET!

As several of you have upgraded to MORE powerful lighting, are you seeing the need for a chiller? Even in more northerly climates?

WOW! Starting to realize that my just under $ 600.00 RSM and starter kit is becoming expensive!
RO/DI $ 120.00
DEKALIT JUGS (6 x 5gals.) $ 78.00
MY Custom RSM Pedestal materials ~ $ 50.00
GFI outlet $ 25.00
Live Rock ~ $ 125.00 local, OR+ $ 75.00 shipped!
Current Chiller 2680 just under $ 300.00

I have another $ 700.00 into this before my CUC and other livestock!
Oh Well! In for a penny in for a pound.....

Love the idea of owning a mini-reef!!!!
Old 01/02/2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Yeah BRRR! We are not used to it being cold like this, I had to wear long sleeves!!!
Of course im still in flip flops, but I am wearing long sleeves with my shorts!

I do feel for all you in the really cold places, it will switch when we its summer time you will be laughing at us. We had 100 degree plus days from April to late November early December this year. The heat can be brutal like the cold, I love spring and fall though, makes it all worth it!

I finally got an up date on the 250 mh light fixture i ordered a week and half ago!! They gave me some bs about UPS not shipping until after the holidays... Do they think I am new here to planet earth or what. UPS stopped on Christmas and New Years but ever day in between was normal business. So hopefully I will have it by Friday, its coming from Northern Cal. to Phoenix shouldn't be to bad. I will most defiantly post pics and comments on what I think of it. I still think its to good to be true, but I have read over 120 pages of posts on the fixture and most people are happy. Of course they were happy once they changed the ballast and bulb, but happy non the less.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Live Rock ~ $ 125.00 local, OR+ $ 75.00 shipped!

Thats a great deal, I think I paid around $375 for all the live rock I have in my tank. I think I have around 42-43 lbs of live rock. The money adds up fast doesn't it I try to not add the bills up and be happy with it. I started to add up the costs between the 14 gallon and the RSM and its some where around $2500.00
Old 01/02/2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy

Yeah my desert brother.... I'm sitting here in a long sleeved T-shirt, shorts, athletic socks, New Balance 621's and a Ball Cap at a current 51 F. temp.!

We are such acclimatized 'wusses' in this cold(?) weather!

With your 250 MH lights are you going to need a chiller?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:45 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - about the same here - upper 90s & 100s for a few months & now alternating cold and warm days. At times heat in the am, AC in the evening.

NaCl+H2O Fish - sure I've heard of Gunnison! I'll stay here in the south - I hate the summer but as long as it doesn't rain ice or snow I like the colder weather hee in the winter.

I totally agree with Y-DesygnGuy - don't attempt to add up what you spend on the tank - just realize it'll end up being as much as a Porsche or BMW! I don't want to know as when my wife asks me how much I've spent on the tank I can honestly say I don't know. In this case being dumb is the best solution.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

what do you other red sea max owners have in terms of water flow? i currently have the hydor flo as well as a koraillia 1 in my tank. do you think i need anything else? i dont have any corals in there yet, but i do have a few fish. any suggestions on what my first coral should be?
thanks!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:30 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi akuracls. I don't think you've been in here before so welcome to the RSM club! For myself I just have the Korallia 1 and one Hydor Flo on one of the RSM powerheads. For me it's enough, and I have a lot of corals and too many fish. On first corals I suppose some zoanthids and/or mushroom types. If your cycle is completed, your water quality is good, and you're past any possible hair algae outbreaks, you could probably add most anything, but I'd avoid any SPS types till the tank has aged a bit. Just my own opinions and hopefully you'll get some more from others in here. How long has the tank been up & running? What fish have you gotten? Great to see another RSM member in here!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

well my clown does has ich. how do i do a garlic and selcon treatment? and i also picked up a canary blenny.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- hehe I hear ya, I went to the zoo on News Year Eve and it was like 53 out side, I had a long sleeve t-shirt with a short sleeve t-shirt on over that and a sorta jacket (Arizona Type Jacket) on over the t-shirts and I was freezing!

As far a chiller goes, im hoping not to if I can swing it. Once summer starts to roll around and temps get up there, I was going to slowly start changing the lighting cycle to come on at night instead of the day. I keep my place between 77-78 in the summer but I am hoping the lights being on at night will help with the day time temps.

akuracls -- I pretty much have what Reefmack has. I have a Hydro Flo (newly working ) on one of the stock RSM power heads. I have a Korilia 1 in the "sturman" postion, basically on the back wall of the tank in the upper right corner. I also have a Korilia nano in the lower right of the tank facing to the left to blow behind the rocks. I have lots of water movement plenty!

I agree mushrooms, zoa's, xenia things like that. Slowly build on them as the tank matures. Good luck with things and welcome to the RSM club

stephensturman -- I was hoping that wouldn't happen to you. I had a feeling it might though we got the clowns close to the same time and mine died in days. Their tanks are f-ed up down there. I have the store credit and im sure they the new clowns in I could get. But I still don't trust his set up. I didn't want to bash him to bad over in the AZ section, but selling fish to people when your tanks are polluted like that is BS if you ask me. The cost it puts on you and the possible loss of other creatures in the tank is unacceptable if you ask me. I hope things work out for the best, I wish you would of taken them back to him right away and got credit. I feel for your other fish and the hassles your going to have to go through because of this.

Oh and before the split when I was talking about my Naked Clowns I want to say Rue posted a link to "Reef safe" ich remover, you might take a look for it.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

ya i think its early enough that i can garlic the food. he has very faint white spots u have to look really hard to be able to see any sign of them. and there not cysts. so i think it is very early!