Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)

Old 08/11/2006, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Here I thought this forum was about sharing a common interest in a fun an interesting hobby, now i'm going to feel like i'm taking an english exam.

Why all the fuss? Can't we all just talk about frags again
Old 08/11/2006, 09:58 AM
Set it up

O/T Chris your new Avator is great looking!
Old 08/11/2006, 10:06 AM
My Boys

example # 1

If yu rucagnize te wurd, nd kan cmprehand th intendud meening of teh aurther, then is the splleeng really that impartent...?

I read fast: it says

If you can reconize the word, and can comprehend the intended meaning of the author, the is spelling really that impartent?

The more you think you know about keeping a healthy reef, the better your understanding of how much there is still to learn

imight justpostareplylikethistogivethematasteoftheirownmedicine

Same thing I read this just as fast.. it says

I might just post a reply like this to give them a taste of their own medicine.

and so far it was easyer for me to pick up on those 2 and read them. so I please just listen.. I make every effort to accomodate you so you can understand me. and I am not asking anyone to make any effort to make it so I understand them. so if I have errors in what I am tring to convey give me a break.

I do have to agree that some people are just lazy...and others just don't want to learn how....I feel that in order to comunicate with others one must put effort behind it. here is what my posts would look like........

any fish one have advise on?

now if you can understand that or this

I fish have that sick are....anyone can help me?

mind you this is how I put words together.

the top post says ...

anyone have advise on fish?

and the bottom post says

I have fish that are sick, can anyone help me?

and yet the way I put it seems forgien. I accept that.
but to me I understand it.

I just wanted to point out the differences in things.

not wanting to make anyone feel bad. just a good note on what goes on with people with disablities.

no hard feelings ryan
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 08/11/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 08/11/2006, 11:43 AM
Mindless Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by minitrucker
This topic is crap. Pure crap.................

JOSH
I disagree completely. This is a GREAT topic, because it illustrates that we are all individuals, and that the responisibility is on us as individuals to make sure our points are going to be comprehended by the reader, otherwise the failure is ours, not the readers.

Ryan, I appreciate the effort that you put into your posts to screen them and edit them so that they can be read and understood by the reader. It probably isn't fair that other people don't have to expend that energy....

but is it more important for you to understand what you are saying, or is it more important for the reader that you are trying to get advice from to understand what you are saying?

See my point? this thread isn't about learning disabilities, and it isn't about discrimination. It is about how difficult it is for someone to put an idea on paper, have someone else read it, and have their understanding of what they read match up with your understanding of what you wrote.

Tolerance and patience on the part of the reader is extremely important, but the ownership of any written idea is the author's, not the readers. If the reader does not understand, then it can not be the reader's fault.

That's my point.

Oh, and the reefers for Jesus story was something that came to mind when Chris mentioned religion, it had nothing to do with the policy he quoted. I just thought it was a funny story, and was right in line with the topic we are discussing: mis-interpretation...

If you didn't get the humor, then I'm sorry about that, but I assure you, it was funny....

And I will remind everyone again that posting in this thread is not required. Reading this thread isn't even required if you don't want to. AJ had a right to make the original post in this thread, regardless of whether anyone agrees or disagrees.

If you don't like the topic, then you have all the power to take any of the following actions:

1) Unsubscribe
2) Set any member that offends you on ignore
3) Just stop reading the replies

It's not an English lesson, it's just a bunch of folks posting opinions.

When someone posts an opinion that you don't like, and at the same time you can't figure out why they don't like your opinion either, then nobody is making any progress to understand the other person.... which brings us right back to the first post in this thread....

Peace out.
Old 08/11/2006, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Robert, peace to you brother reefer.

Last edited by trentula77; 08/11/2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08/11/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

One comment about grammar....AzDesertRat, who's to say the people with poor grammar in this forum are the young generation that have been victims of this declining education system? Maybe the people with the poor grammar are the same ones you went to school with. No hard feelings......just food for thought.

Taking this topic in a little bit of a different route.........

What really gets me when reading threads, are when people post when they have no advice or "solid" contribution to the topic. I can understand people adding humor or a funny comment to the thread........some of that is needed, but many posts should not be posted IMO. It makes it difficult for the reader to find the intelligent answers/advice in a timely manner. There are also many back and forth conversations in threads that could perhaps be done over PM or email.

Ficticious Example: Does anybody have any experience with programming an aquacontroller?

Ficticious Reply: I don't really know about programming aquacontrollers, but I've heard they are cool.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this post, but I thought I'd put it out there.
Old 08/11/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I think something important has been left out .......

This is RC a place to learn and share with others . With that in mind when you post a problem ,question or experience others are using the search feature to find threads that can help them .

A thread thats all mispelled has 20 and's in a row and abunch of jibber jabber thats hard to understand its not helping anyone eles when they go to do a search for simular problems or experiences.

JMO
Old 08/11/2006, 12:32 PM
Set it up

You never know this thread has the possibility of making thread of the month.

We all should put every effort within our capabilities to make our comments understandable.

I also have a very bad dyslexia problem and it is very difficult for me to read and write.
But I can run circles around many people in math, science and art.

I hit the spell check button and corrected 6 words hope this helps
Old 08/11/2006, 12:54 PM
Team RC Member

I have the opposite, widefx: I can do letters, no problem, but the Arabic numeral system just screws me up something awful. Possibly it was a second-grade teacher who used to stalk the class with a ruler and whack the slower students without warning, but I back the digits around something fierce when I work math, and always have. Astrophysics? No problem. Heck, one of my projects for a while was galactic mapping, and I was able to find a math typo in the Encyclopedia Americana.

But when I took a college chemistry final and one of the questions was about gasses, I was mortally embarrassed at a surprise call to turn in scratch sheets: mine was covered with the sets of 2's I had to break the math into in order to check my calculations. A simple question ran on for 3 pages of addition of 2's, my one reliable trick. I got the question right, however. In fact, I aced the test.

And in my years of teaching---that moment of embarrassment taught me something: that there are work-arounds for most situations, and if I could show a kid a work-around for his particular problem, it would work a sea-change on attitude and his future attack on problems. In a notable few cases I think I did some good.
And I still have to break problems down into 2's, unless I'm using a computer.
So it's not smarts, in most instances, it's skill, and phonics is a system, just like math. There are about 30 or so basic rules, and it can be learned even after school. If somebody wants to try it, look in the fine-print front pages of the Webster International, and you've got it: a crash course.

Intelligence is more accurately measured by problem-solving than by recitation, imho. And some of us have to come at a problem from different angles. But thank goodness for computers.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/11/2006, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

ouw k letc git aluong i hev a graphic design degree and i mak mistakces all the time
Old 08/11/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

I am surprised I haven't seen any piglatin yet
Old 08/11/2006, 01:29 PM
Team RC Member

sk8r, I think I had that same teacher!
The whole idea of this thread was to help us help you. Some of us have been doing the saltwater and reef thing for a long long time, 25+ years fish and 16 years reef in my case, and are more than willing to share our experiences, both good and bad, with others. A good number of you in this thread have even been to my home and/or have some of my corals in your tanks and vice versa. I am more than willing to help others and mostly do it for the pure enjoyment. If you happen to have something to trade thats good but more times than I can count I have sent people home with lots of good stuff and asked nothing in return other than "keep me in mind when you do have something I might be interested in". Sometimes I get something back, sometimes I don't, no big deal.
Again, I hope everyone takes this thread for what its worth and moves on without getting on the defensive or being hurt by it. That was never intended on my part.
Old 08/11/2006, 01:42 PM
Team RC Member

DesertRat, total agreement here.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/11/2006, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

I lived the party in HS and so although I had a great time, I didn't learn very much. When I went to college I decided to get serious. My first written assignment was for a history class. I slaved to write out a five page report (pre-computer days). I turned it in and was really proud of my effort.

It came back marked: "F - I highly suggest you take a course in English grammar"

I was stunned and fumed. I went to the professor and I said, "Does that mean I got the same grade as someone who turned nothing in??" He nodded.

I was so mad, but I made a determination in that moment that grammar would become a strength. I worked really hard at improving my writing skills and during my Senior year I actually had people bringing me papers to proofread before they submitted them. The first time that happened was one of the truly proud moments of my life because I had turned a weakness into a strength. And so I spell check. In fact I spell checked this post and found two spelling errors which I corrected prior to posting.

RYAN - Very enlightening post on how words appear to you. You have done quite well in your writing for I would not have picked up on the level of your disability.

Now I know that someone is probably going to say "get off the damn high horse with the grammer and spelling. I have yet to see something hard to read on this forum," and that will probably be someone who uses English as a second language and who has worked hard to learn English. I can just see that happening.

Last edited by ZoeReef; 08/11/2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08/11/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

get off the damn high horse with the grammer and spelling. I have yet to see something hard to read on this forum, maybe on other forums but not the FRAG one. Now I realize why people don't like each other, sorry poeple can't be a perfect as all of the great writers on this site. english is my second language so I actually know how hard it is to have to learn a new set of rules and do's and don'ts. ( not sure about that one.) but come stop being jack ***'s about it.
Old 08/11/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/11/2006, 05:39 PM
My Boys

<<<<<< tarded jack a**... just kidding
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 08/11/2006, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Moore_RB - "is it more important for you to understand what you are saying, or is it more important for the reader that you are trying to get advice from to understand what you are saying?"

Great point!

Clkwrk - "This is RC a place to learn and share with others . With that in mind when you post a problem ,question or experience others are using the search feature to find threads that can help them .

A thread thats all mispelled has 20 and's in a row and abunch of jibber jabber thats hard to understand its not helping anyone eles when they go to do a search for simular problems or experiences."

Great point!

truthdesigns - "ouw k letc git aluong i hev a graphic design degree and i mak mistakces all the time"

Huh?
Old 08/11/2006, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

****Oh no you didn't!********
I spy: a post arguing for better grammar and spelling that provided some totally reasonable logic about why these problems matter. I agree with the posters points 100%. BUT in this reasonable and sensible post can be found: 9! (NINE) [nueve] grammar and spelling mistakes!!!!
THANK YOU, thank you spelling/grammar thread from AzDesert Rat!!!! That is beyond irony--I have not giggled so hard since Talladega Nights. I'm still catching my breath.
Old 08/11/2006, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Oh no I didn't! I'm razzing a poster who corrected other posters, and my post has grammar mistakes! I'm giggling even more now!
Old 08/11/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by random_ryan
<<<<<< tarded jack a**... just kidding
Looks like your occupation
Old 08/11/2006, 07:12 PM
My Boys

lol.... I work hard at it too... dang hard at it.... lol......
Old 08/11/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/11/2006, 07:44 PM
GO BEARS!!

Wow this thread sure is accomplishing the goal. I guess name calling is on the way?

Ryan