Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/05/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

aarrgggghhhh!!! More hitch hikers

I found a few new things.... Good, bad, ugly??............

These are about the size of a pencil lead.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unknown Star is as big as a thumb tack
[IMG][/IMG]
He is about the size of a dime.
[IMG][/IMG]

Name these critters GAME!!!!!!!!!
TIA!!!
Old 03/05/2006, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

white cerith snail. Asterina star. Mitrax or maybe gorilla crab. Can't tell whether or not he is fuzzy if so he is probably bad.

Hope this helps
Old 03/05/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. I think that is just his molt so I am not sure if he is fuzzy. I haven't seen him, just his molts. I will keep an eye out for him. Thanks again.
Old 03/05/2006, 04:15 PM
Non-smoker

Cerith, Good.
Astrina, undecided, I personally leave them alone.
Mithrax Crab - get'em out and throw'em in a sump.
Old 03/05/2006, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

I think hitchhikers are an interesting part of the hobby.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

I agree with dela to a point. If it's something that will harm what I already have then it's to the sump for it.

That crab looks like it could be Teadybear crab, But I'm no expert just going off of the teadybear crab that I got when I bought my first batch of LR. Both the gorrilla & teadybear look alot a like. Either way find him and sump him as letmegrow stated.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 03/05/2006, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

I just meant it's OK to keep individual questionable critters if you keep an eye on them. If they become a problem, then fix the problem.

This is coming from someone who's nuked his tanks repeatedly!
Old 03/05/2006, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

So how sure are we that the snail and the star are what they say are? The star is kinda blue and he doesn't look like he is going to get to big.
Old 03/06/2006, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

FYI, there are thousands of species of most of the things we find in our tanks. You need to be a biologist with a microscope to be able to tell half of them appart. Especially when it comes to the little critters. I have similar (not identical) stars. They have not bothered my corals except then they climb on them, and even then they don't really bother them.
Old 03/06/2006, 07:19 PM
Moved On

Have crab cakes with the crab. Keep the snails. Watch the star.
Old 03/06/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Well everyone thanks for all of the info. To my surprise the star has 6 legs! I thought I read something from Calfo about them being bad. I am looking on here to see if I can find more info on it.
Lost Marbles...... Thanks for your kind input. :-)
Old 03/06/2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

The starfish is reef safe. Don't worry.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 03/06/2006, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Well now that I know that it is reef safe I won't go looking to hard. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03/07/2006, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

How do you know this particular kind is reef safe?
Old 03/07/2006, 11:39 AM
Team RC Member

I had nothing but problems with them. Others have never had a problem with them but they tore up some sps (monti cap and yellow porites(sp?) on me and were trying to go for zo's.
Old 03/07/2006, 01:18 PM
Non-smoker

I've never in 6 years have had the stars bother anything.
This is coming from a guy who never nuked his tanks.

Why ask for a dinfinitive answer if you are just going to ask, well how do you know ? Seems counter productive.
If you don't get the answer you want, try and research.
Old 03/07/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Why is everyone saying to put the Mithrax Crab in the sump?

I have both green and pink Mithrax, and I don't have any problems with them, but I keep them well fed with a diet of hair algae...

The Green Mithrax AKA green emerald is reported to eat bubble algae, maybe they do or don't but I have never seen another hit of bubble algea since I added the green ones...

My wife loves the pink ones, and I HAD to buy her one lol

So far so good, I usually look for him and drop some Formula pellets near him to make sure he's well fed... I have read reports that they will catch and eat small fish if hungry, so you should watch out if you have any slow moving small fish (firefish, etc) Otherwise if that crab truely is a Mithrax Crab I personally wouldn't go tearing all your rock apart looking for it... Can you get a better picture of it?

I noticed in your pic's you seem to have HA like I do, and I've noticed that my crabs will eat it, about like kids with a plate full of brussle sprots will eat them.... They pick at it, eat some, but don't mow it down like they would mac n cheese
Old 03/07/2006, 01:38 PM
Non-smoker

The "emrald" crabs are the acception to the rule of Mithrax being reef safe. They are totally unique in their species.

Page 262, Pocket Expert Guide for Marine Invertebrates, Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

All of the LFS should be stocking it.
Old 03/07/2006, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

I would trash the star.... They will take over the tank they multiply very fast. I have seen tanks that have hundreds on the front glass.
I pull them out as soon as I see then, I get about 2 per week in my 2 year old reef.

IMHO
Todd
Old 03/07/2006, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Why don't I come by and take these guys off your hand? I'll put them in my tank and if there are any problems I'll let you know.

Just kidding.. although I would take them if you wanted to get rid of them. So I gues I'm not kidding!

Wait.. you are in rolla. That's too far to drive...
Old 03/07/2006, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I think I am just going to keep all of them in the tanks. No problems yet and if problems occur then I will look for them first. Now if Zo's come up missing I know to find the star, he usually stays on the same rock, well he has been for the last couple of days. The tank is only a 7 gal so not to much rock to tear down.
Old 03/08/2006, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

The asterina won't touch the zoos. They eat algae.

If you're lucky enough to have them breed in your tank, you can usually share them with fellow reefers as they are usually quite desirable.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 03/08/2006, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Something to consider when removing these stars is that they are feeding on something.

If they are feeding on your corals, which I have read has happened but have no personal experience with, then taking them out will save your corals.

If they are feeding on something else (which is most likely diatoms ), what will eat the food that they are now consuming? Removing them from your tank can possibly upset the balance of your tank.

Unless you are absolutely positive that they are harming something in your tank I would let them be.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 03/08/2006, 03:21 AM
XenMaster

Crabs in the sump, everything else in the refugium. Only way to main tank, is via return pump..muhahaha.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.