Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 12/17/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy 2 problems and 2 ID's

I have 2 things spreading in my tank. The first pics are of this stuff that is spreading over the sandbad and rock.

the last pic is of a dark brown leafy thing that grows on the rock. It layers over the rock like it is painted on and will choke out the coralline; hard to remove since it has to be scrubbed off.

What are they and how do I get rid of them? Thank you!

Old 12/17/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

holy crap! looks to me like you have a flat worm infestation. Second one looks like Padina. Try a google on that one.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

yeah those are brown flat worms . They wiped out my coral tank when they did a major die off one night . Get some flat worm exit , sphion them up as they die and do a LARGE water change right after. Trust me those are really bad news.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Holy Flat worms!! Yeah dude....you gotta problem there.....
Old 12/19/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

two other ways, besides flatworm exit, to help eradicate them are lowering your light and lowering temperature. they're a PITA, I know first hand.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scapes
two other ways, besides flatworm exit, to help eradicate them are lowering your light and lowering temperature. they're a PITA, I know first hand.
lowering photoperiod? to what?

And, to what temp will help?

thanks!

I am looking into wrasses at the moment. I figure that if I get a bunch of them that will eat these guys, I have a free food source for quite a while!
Old 12/20/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

You seem to have a very bad infestation from the photos. Flatworm exit works but when these things die they give off harmfull toxins and you have many. Siphoning up as many as you can before treatment and after treatment will be important. I used and overtheside filter and put the carbon in after the dosing period and caught many dead ones in the filter pads. Perhaps if you started at half the recommended dose to kill some and siphon them out and do a partial water change and then redose with a full dose and then on the third or fouth day if need be a 150% dose,you might be able to eliminate them without putting off too much toxin at one time.
I'm sure certain wrasses will eat htem. Green spotted mandarins(Sinchiropus picturatus) generally serve as reliable predators.