Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 01:12 PM
Retired Reefer

Tunze Wavebox vs. Vortech

Money is limited. Any suggestions?
Old 12/16/2007, 07:57 PM
Retired Reefer

??
Old 12/16/2007, 08:06 PM

whats the tanks dimensions?

Ive played with both, and IMO the wavebox properly setup on the right tank is way more flow.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Imo if you have the room and your tank is long I would go with the wavebox

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 12/16/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

can you put a vortech on both ends of a 86" tank with a wavebox on one end also? or does this kinda defeat the purpose of the wave box?

Lucky
Old 12/16/2007, 10:37 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

I have both on my 215 and the VorTech does nothing to interfere with the effects of the wavebox. Great combo IMO.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 12/16/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Good... I have a vortech in each end but would like the wish-wash effect of the wavebox as well. I just hate to spend the money on a wavebox if they dont get along.(way too much money to get it wrong..lol)
Thanks,

Lucky
Old 12/16/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

The guys at Aquatek in Austin (distributer) said you don't really want any powerheads pushing flow at the wavebox. I have a wavebox on my 225 and love it. I have a 6080 pointing the same direction as the wavebox and I think it contributes nicely.

Lee
Old 12/17/2007, 08:31 PM
Retired Reefer

Im looking at a 180 or 210. Do you guys think the wavebox is too much of an eyesore? I was thinking of having a custom tank built to hide it, but too much $$...
Old 12/17/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

They are two separate types of devices. The Wavebox is designed purely to generate a back and forth wave resonance wave motion. It does not provide good circulation of water, which is what a Vortech does. With the controller, the Vortech can reproduce this resonance wave motion and still circulate the water well. So, I'd probably go with the Vortech as it does both. It also is quite a bit less of an eyesore. The only real advantage of the Wavebox is that it may provide a larger wave, but I'm not even sure if that is the case when stacked against the Vortech.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:12 AM

huh?

Just adjust the pulse on the wavebox to not make a wave now it also does both.

As to the look my tank sets is a corner so to do the vortechs on both ends Id have to stare at the dry side on one of the viewing panels. That and the noise issues Ive seen with a few made me stick with the wavebox. If the look bothers you cover it with coral. Ive been saying I was going to attach some zoas, but never have.

Like I said I've played with both on several tank sizes. The wavebox will serve you very well in a 180/210. You will likely need some additional flow with the wavebox to get things moving to the overflow, but my experience has been it provides enough flow to keep coral happy anywhere in the tank.

Last edited by scottfarcuz; 12/18/2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

? Ok now I have a question? Vortech noisy? Mine are fairly quiet?
Does this mean I'm lucky or is something wrong with them?
Old 12/18/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I have the wavebox in my 180 with a 6060 and my corals are happy.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky-rc
? Ok now I have a question? Vortech noisy? Mine are fairly quiet?
Does this mean I'm lucky or is something wrong with them?
I've seen some silent, and some not. Actually only seen 2 I would consider unacceptable in my living room, and both I played around a bit with alignment. If you look around RC you will see a few similar cases.

I'm not saying the pump is trash by any means. Two vortechs with controller is a lot more investment, and in a lot of cases would be no less of an eyesore.

Last edited by scottfarcuz; 12/18/2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

also consider that the vortechs have been known to cause damage (crazing) to acrylic tanks due to the high heat the motor produces.

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 12/18/2007, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Iv'e heard that Wavebox's are not recommended for glass tanks because of the stress that they put on them is this correct? If not would it be O.K. to use it on a 155 bow front? and I have a 1,600 gph CPR external overflow, will this create a draining issue? Sorry if I HiJacked.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:14 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrassemeister
also consider that the vortechs have been known to cause damage (crazing) to acrylic tanks due to the high heat the motor produces.
I think there's only been one so far and I think there were other circumstances involved?
Old 12/18/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
They are two separate types of devices. The Wavebox is designed purely to generate a back and forth wave resonance wave motion. It does not provide good circulation of water, which is what a Vortech does. With the controller, the Vortech can reproduce this resonance wave motion and still circulate the water well. So, I'd probably go with the Vortech as it does both. It also is quite a bit less of an eyesore. The only real advantage of the Wavebox is that it may provide a larger wave, but I'm not even sure if that is the case when stacked against the Vortech.
I couldn't disagree with this more, have you ever seen a wave box working properly. Not only does it create he back and fourth wave movement but it generates a circular flow pattern in the tank. You can see the entire water column from top to bottom of the tank moving everytime the wave pulses. The wave box move a massive amount of water and keeps anything from settling on the bottom of the tank
Old 12/18/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

i have owned both and have to admit once dialed in the wavebox cant be beat...I admit i was a tunze basher when i had my vortec...Best deal i have made trading my wireless vortec for the wavebox
Old 12/18/2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
Iv'e heard that Wavebox's are not recommended for glass tanks because of the stress that they put on them is this correct? If not would it be O.K. to use it on a 155 bow front? and I have a 1,600 gph CPR external overflow, will this create a draining issue? Sorry if I HiJacked.
Tunze itself claims the wave action could shorten the life of a glass tank by as much as 10%. I've ran mine non-stop for over 2 years now. I've seen a lot of old glass tanks still around. If the tank only lasts 18 years compared to 20 I can deal with it. I'm sure to be upgrading, or quitting the hobby long before then anyways.

Kind of obvious, but using 2 vortechs to make the same resonance wave will cause the same tank stress.

To me it all boils down to what you like, want, and want to spend. I've had issues with my tunze pumps in the past also. I've known several with issues with vortechs. Both have awesome service, and will go way out of the way to keep you happy.

Your HOB overflow very well could be an issue. If you can center it in the tank it will have less effect of the wave action, and when the wavebox is tuned right the water line doesn't move up and down like it does at each end of the tank.

I always thought a sumpless 125 FOWLR with a wavebox on one end, and a tunze skimmer hanging in the center would be awesome tank. You can make huge waves in narrow tank without a lot of overflows or rocks to disrupt the flow.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuyatwo
i have owned both and have to admit once dialed in the wavebox cant be beat...I admit i was a tunze basher when i had my vortec...Best deal i have made trading my wireless vortec for the wavebox
I dont think I would trade my wavebox for 2 vortechs. I actually have my wave turned down just a bit in a 210 AGA with way too much rock.

LFS has 2 boxes in a 675g I'd guess its rocking at least 3" waves. It wasn't tuned right upon setup, and I got a chance to play with it last week. Everyone thats seen it since has been shocked. I mentioned to the owner maybe seeing what 1 box would do.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanks.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:38 PM
Retired Reefer

Sounds like im going with the wavebox then... I want to devote this tank to mostly softies and LPS, so im thinking the wavebox, plus one or two wavesea's or seaswirls on the returns should be enough.

What do you guys think? No closed loop, and if I find I need more flow I could put a vortech on the side... btw the return pump would be pushing around 3k gph I would think, so I would have some of the overflow drain right back into the pump area of the sump, a sort of mini-closed loop...

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12/18/2007, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

You should see the action my wavebox with a 6080 right next too it generates. I am not sure where the idea above about a wavebox not moving water, but you should see what it does in my new 225 gallon tank.

Love it. I considered both, but for the price of one vortech you have a wavebox and Tunze's customer service is the best.

With closed loops and drilled holes you have more potential for leaks etc. Wavebox is easy to clean, and no more an eyesore than any other powerhead. Shoot, glue some zoa's to the box and just keep top open (which is out of water anyway) and pump intake open).

Lee
Old 12/18/2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefEze
Sounds like im going with the wavebox then... I want to devote this tank to mostly softies and LPS, so im thinking the wavebox, plus one or two wavesea's or seaswirls on the returns should be enough.

What do you guys think? No closed loop, and if I find I need more flow I could put a vortech on the side... btw the return pump would be pushing around 3k gph I would think, so I would have some of the overflow drain right back into the pump area of the sump, a sort of mini-closed loop...

Thanks for your help guys!
This should work well. I have around 2400gph return on 2-1" sea swirls in my 210. Its mostly SPS and bare bottom so I also use a few 6080's, but I think the return, and wavebox will work great for a 180/210g softie and LPS tank....