Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Koran Angel

I have a koran angel in the juvenile stage of its life cycle. It is considered to be reef safe until pre-adulthood (starting to change colors) and adulthood (fully changed). Has anyone had a pre-adult or an adult koran angel that was reef safe (or any other similar large angels)?

The juvenile (about 3-4 inches) does a great job at eating aiptasia, but it does not touch my clams, horn coral, or inverts. I would hate to have to get rid of the angel in its later stages of development. I'm hoping that if I feed it well, i might be able to keep it through adulthood.

Last edited by ShilohPSU; 01/07/2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

I have a koran, got it as a small juvinile, about 3-4in, and as it started changing color and into adulthood (now at about7-8in) it will pick at everything, even knocking rock over sometimes, and for a while would chase every other fish in the tank. But since i have added more fish over the past year it seems to have calmed down a little, still has the occasional chase, but not as fast or evil, and the picking seems to have slowed up alot. As long as they are fed well they (or at least mine) seems to be docile, but they are angels and can be mean somtimes.I do not have any coral in my tank so i cannot answer that one, but i would asume it would pick at them, I did have a small toadstool and a small brain coral from my old 55gal that i put in the 150gal with it once, and it did pick them both pretty bad now that i remember. This probally did not answer youre question, but i hope it helped a little
Old 01/07/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. It gives me a little bit of hope. I have had some pygmy angels in the past - flame, ebli, coral beauty and they were all fine except for the ebli angel. It loved to eat aiptasia, but also had a taste for horn coral and other sps coral. So the coral would close itself during the day and would come out at night. I still have that same piece and its doing well.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Hope your planning on a upgrade. Your gona run out of real estate real soon.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

Well the worst thing that will happen is that I trade it into my local pet store for something else. It'll be worth more $$$ if it gets to be that large anyways. I just love the coloration on the fish and it's definitely the one that everyone likes the best. I had an even smaller koran a while ago. It did great until my thermostat in the heater broke and heated the water to 90 degrees. My gold-banded maroon was the only fish that survived the water temp, along with some hermits. I got a full refund for the fish from the heater company, but it still sucked. Lost a koran angel, marine betta, algae blenny, and had a smelly room that day.