Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

aqua controller jr

I'am wondering how many people are using this controler and what you think of it I read a few posts guys were having problems with the x-10 controls I've also read that you can buy the x-10 modules at radio shack is this true and do they work also how is the dc8 or dc4 connected to the controller this is the one I'am looking at http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...oduct_ID=np-12

thanxs
O/M 4way with barracuda
mas cal reactor
tang,powder tang, clown, purple clown white goby, orangewrassel
Old 01/11/2007, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

If you are looking at controllers, seriously consider avoiding X10 modules. With Neptune, use the Direct Connect modules. People will tell you they've been successful with X10 for days, weeks and even years, but out of the blue it can start having problems. If you do go with X10, don't use it for mission critical items like heaters, fans, chiller, etc.

As for Neptune, check out their Sponsor forum. IMHO, they have incredible service and support. Specific to the ACJr, be sure to get one with a serial port.

-Doug
Old 01/11/2007, 02:50 AM
Moved On

Great unit. I have mine hooked up to both DC8 & DC4. Neptune provides a telephone cord for the connection.
Old 01/11/2007, 03:01 AM
reef obsessed

X-10 is old school. Too many problems that's why Neptune developed the dc4/dc8. Basically the dc8 an outlet panel that is controlled via the Aquacontroller (with the telephone cord stated above). Very stable. I absolutely love mine and would not run a reef without one again. Best of all, I can log in online and check my tank specs anywhere, anytime. Highly recommend.
Old 01/11/2007, 03:44 AM
Moved On

Drummereef I use thwe x10 moduels nothing but problems you suggest the dc4/dc8 why
Old 01/11/2007, 09:55 AM
Moved On

Logging on to check your tank is cool but what about changing your configuration over the network. And i dont care if it is over the www, I just want to be able to do it from a windows interface without having to learn some programing code.

Is that software extra, or is it even available, and is it proprietary to Neptune.
Old 01/11/2007, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmoneymaker
Drummereef I use thwe x10 moduels nothing but problems you suggest the dc4/dc8 why
The DC8, DC4, and DC4-HD are power strips that are directly controlled (hence the "DC") by the control panel. With the direct connection you don't get the problems you have with X-10, which is prone to issues with interference.
Old 01/11/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bergovoy
Logging on to check your tank is cool but what about changing your configuration over the network. And i dont care if it is over the www, I just want to be able to do it from a windows interface without having to learn some programing code.

Is that software extra, or is it even available, and is it proprietary to Neptune.
I believe you can do that (change settings over the network) using the free version of aquanotes. Aquanotes is proprietary to the neptune controllers. You'd have to double check the features on the free version vs the full version just to make sure. It is definitely something you can do with the full version. You have to have a neptune controller with a serial port or ethernet connection to use it.
Old 01/11/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

aquanotes lite is avalible for free from neptune, and you can program through that interface. It also has a embeded web server, and you assign it a IP. you can log on to it with your web browser, no software needed. You dont get the graphing fuctions that way, but its a easy way to program your aquacontroller.
Old 01/11/2007, 10:35 AM
Moved On

Is the programming doen with the line by line programming examples it shows in its product desctiption, or is it windows based where as you just click and highlight and enter the perameters you want in teh appropriate fields...

Thanks

Bill
Old 01/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Bill,

The Neptune controller code is line-by-line, but very powerful and easy to use with a little practice. You establish your timer names like MH1, MH2, VHO, etc and then reference them in your actual program. The interface is not click and highlight.

-Doug
Old 01/11/2007, 12:55 PM
Moved On

Is there an interface to the pc that is stupid simple?? And which one is it??

Thanks

Bill
Old 01/11/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

you have to set the IP on the unit, you have to tell the software what the IP is, you hook at network cable between the computer and the unit and its dont. The dificlulty level depends on how good you are with computers. The super simple way is to simply assign the unit a IP and then put the IP in the web browser. But you dont get the tracking and graphs like aquanotes provides.
Old 01/11/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

To change the code from a PC, all you need is a serial cable that you attach to your PC from the unit and the free Aquanotes program. To do it over the internet you need the IP setup. I just use a laptop and sit on the floor in front of my tank and download data/update the program.

It's not point and click, but if you can write an excel formula, you can write code

"If TEMP >80, HTR OFF" type of statements will get you 90% of what you need.
Old 01/11/2007, 02:35 PM
Moved On

I believe it to be no too difficult to program it, but fail to understand why it oculd not be setup witha windows interface. Certainly going the next step is not that big of an expense, considering how so many programs shareware, freeware and the like that do take advantage of stupid simple windows environment.

I think the biggest issue si that Neptune may not want to pay teh Micorsoft machine the money for develpoer rights and utilities.

And if they don't that does not explain why they dont use Unix...

Either way, it is not acceptable in this attempt to 'automate' to make the end-user work.

Just one more step to a simpler set up, that is all I ask.

And I have not heard if there are otehr controllers that do or dont have windows based software, or if the entire marine society is anti simplicity.

Certainly, if it came down to it, I would pay a few extra dollars for a simpler system, and one that fool-proof with error checking of course with the popularity of Windows, I dont thing I huge risk that developers take by going with a gui environment, as it is a tried and true technology...
Old 01/11/2007, 02:36 PM
Moved On

Also, there is the case of my typing skills, as witnessed in the 537 messages I have posted. I wonder what would be the outcome if I were to type htr to trh or hrt or any other combination of screwups
Old 01/11/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

I believe the Reefkeeper 2 is easier to use, but less flexible. Neptune is constantly adding functionality with firmware upgrades and my guess is their focus is on features, not on ease of use. If you program it directly on the unit it is idiotproof as you scroll through available outlets and commands but is restricted from complex logic. For that you need to use text statements.

Try http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/ and look at their aquatronica. Very slick GUI interface.
Old 01/11/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

I bought it, i've got it half hooked up, still need to figure out where i want to keep it as I can't put my Lights, pumps, heaters ect all on 1 fuse in my house. I think i need to buy a remote dc8 extension so I can connect everything I want.