Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/09/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Pictures of my tank

Thought I would share my tank (as others do) I know its not perfect, and that there are some issues, but I think for 10 months in I aren't doing to badly! Opinions welcomed x

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/09/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

beutiful tank, cute lil cleaner shrimp hanging from the power head to
Old 01/09/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Why is the water level so low? Looks great though!
Old 01/09/2008, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

The water level is that low because if it isn't I can't reach the bottom lol I know it sounds mad, but if something needs my attention at the bottom and I can't get to it I would panic lol I really MUST find a way of doing it, I've tried a net but I am soooo bad with it its ridiculous!

Old 01/09/2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Looks great! What is that giant red thing on the left?
Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Forgive me for the names (as I can rarely remember them) but its something like a red grape something or other because it looks like little red grapes lol

Old 01/09/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

is it macro? a coral? sponge?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Wow I can't believe that tank is only 10 months old! Beautiful job!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

nice tank!!! I am also interested in the name of that maroon coral on the left, and the blue one in the center, if you could get names that would be great
Old 01/09/2008, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

nice looking tank,good job.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

The blue one is a sponge and the maroon one is definitely a coral. I'll pop in my lfs today and ask him, he's got a good memory and I'm pretty sure I'm his best customer

Old 01/10/2008, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by auntynatal
The water level is that low because if it isn't I can't reach the bottom lol I know it sounds mad, but if something needs my attention at the bottom and I can't get to it I would panic lol I really MUST find a way of doing it, I've tried a net but I am soooo bad with it its ridiculous!
....but the depth still the same even if is empty, so what's the point?, very nice tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Very nice looking tank. The little bit of green algae in there would drive me nuts but I guess if isn't spreading and everything else seems to be thriving well then why try to fix it.

Oh yeah, the GBTA looks lonely without a host fish. Any plans for the future. I only ask cause I love clowns.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minispider
....but the depth still the same even if is empty, so what's the point?, very nice tank.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Gorgeous job, though. Just get some reef tweezers and top off the water level. LOL

Tracy
Old 01/10/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Yes its still the same depth, however, my armpits aren't dragging in the water when the level is a little lower lol underarm deoderant and reef tanks do not mix!

Old 01/10/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

hi auntynatal tank looks great, if your interested you can sort out that background by removing it smear a film of cooking oil over it useing a cloth than smooth it back on the back of the tank it will all be blue and greatly improve the look of your system sounds messy but its really easy to do
Old 01/10/2008, 04:14 PM
Girl Geek

Looking good! I like using tongs. Best to keep hands out of tank anyways.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Fantastic looking tank, auntynatal!! Your live rock has some beautiful structure. You have obviously done many things right.

The flame angel - is it bothering any of your corals? Mine has just decided to become a little jerk, after about 6 months. He won't let my small frag of pink zoanthids open any more (leaves the orange ones alone, for now)!

Anyway, again, good job!
Old 01/10/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

He's not bothering anything at all really, just nips at the algae here and there. He doesn't even bother the other fish and loves to be cleaned by the shrimps. I love watching him nip inbetween the rocks. Thank you for the comments on my rock structure. I recently (like tuesday of this week) replaced the substrate, so with what I had learned inbetween, completely reorganised the whole thing. I wish I had read here long before I set up. I made sure Nigel (the boxing shrimp) had a cave though as otherwise he gets very naffed off and snips off the cleaner shrimp's antennae things lol

I have to say, no matter what else I ever do in my life, I will never find anything as fascinating as I find this. It is a neverending journey of learning and I have found that winging it has paid off. I am very lucky though as I have never had a nitrate/nitrite problem apart from the spike when cycling and all my other levels seem to be just fine all the time. I take a water sample to my LFS periodically just in case my tests are useless lol and he said my water is better than his lol

I still have the odd issue but I have learnt not to overfeed (took a while) and I do seem to have a natural knack with corals etc and have just successfully separated a xenia that was growing up a rock so now I have 2 patches of them instead of one. Not rocket science I know, but to me its an achievement.

Reef keeping is not that common where I live and I don't know of another reef keeper in my area so I am kind of in this alone. My only other experience with fish has been a goldfish lol but the minute I saw a real live clownfish I was hooked. I know that Finding Nemo is a real bugbear with some members here, but it really is what set me off on this track. I just wanted a moorish idol. my tank is too small, I know that now, but I didn't then. I aim to upgrade in a couple of years, when I REALLY know what I am doing. I'm getting the floor re-inforced and having a 180g, but there is so much to learn inbetween.

I've never shared photo's before, so the comments on here have really made me feel like I am on the right track and that I can do this. When I first arrived, I read a thread which said most new reefers give up in the first 12 months due to the difficulty of getting a tank properly established. I was determined not to be one of those reefers, and no matter what I would keep on going until I had a lovely tank. I've lost fish, I've lost corals, I've lost anemones, but with eat loss I have learned and its not happened again. Ok, so I am £2000 down but its only money...

right?

Oh and as a double bonus, I got a delivery of 4 bottles of Joes juice today from the US (can't buy it here in the UK) and after just 3 mls there isn't one in sight. Another battle I am determined to win!

Old 01/10/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm glad you plan to stick it out for the long haul, auntynatal! I, too, have suffered some setbacks, but I think most can be overcome with research and patience.

I am beginning to have an algae issue after 6 months - I believe I could solve it with GFO (to absorb the phosphates), but I'm afraid if I do that I won't have enough algae to sustain my flame angel and cleanup crew. So, I am going to be patient, and try to find a good balance between herbivores, feeding, and nutrient export before I resort to the new media.

By the way, I'm hooked too. And STILL married!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

nice tank man!
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.