Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

Best Local Fish Store in OC and LA

Anybody knows the Best LFS in OC beside Tongs, Coral Oasis, Reef Pacific... And anyone know any wholesale or regular reef store in LA because I'll need to do shopping for my half cirle 144 gallons tank... Thanks in advance
Old 01/07/2008, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

reefermadness, reeferhotspot in LA
Old 01/07/2008, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

i went to reefermadness once... and they had alot of coral colonies and frags available...

i personally want to check out vivid aquarium... they have alot of frags on their online site...

is there anything you are looking for in partucular? stocking it? dry goods?i think most woudl say some have good points and bad points...
Old 01/07/2008, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

vivid just got that new 600 gallon tank up too...something to see...
Old 01/07/2008, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

wow... that is kinda big...

i forgot to post some places i go to:

i usually go to aim in fullerton (kinda closed for remodel)

went to ali's place a few times (make sure he isn't on a fish pick up cause he comes in late)

fish supply.com (forgot the store name, but same as website... they are on beach blvd) they always have lots of dry goods, and some times good fish variety...

coral oasis, they are splitting stores? anwyays, they have alot of fish and lots of live rocks... very nice display tanks...

those are the ones i usually hit up...

i want to try reefermadness again (corals and ZEOmag)

vivid aquariums (their website has alot of nice frags want to see them in person)
Old 01/07/2008, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by faded1004
wow... that is kinda big...

i forgot to post some places i go to:

i usually go to aim in fullerton (kinda closed for remodel)

went to ali's place a few times (make sure he isn't on a fish pick up cause he comes in late)

fish supply.com (forgot the store name, but same as website... they are on beach blvd) they always have lots of dry goods, and some times good fish variety...

coral oasis, they are splitting stores? anwyays, they have alot of fish and lots of live rocks... very nice display tanks...

those are the ones i usually hit up...

i want to try reefermadness again (corals and ZEOmag)

vivid aquariums (their website has alot of nice frags want to see them in person)
fish supply= seaside
Old 01/07/2008, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

I have been to most of the stores in LA and a few in the OC. Vivid has the most stock and some nice exotic stuff, bit pricey though but very nice shop all in all. Medusa is another one to look at, thats on Pico just before Bundy, some nice stuff again a great shop. Reefhotspot is good too, big warehouse with a good selection thats close to Medusa.

OC wise I have been to Eyecandy and Amazing Reefs (Ali's Shop), Amazing Reefs was great but he is still setting up so he doesnt have much in the way of fish stock, although what he has is very nice, loads of Mystery Wrasses and a trio of Flasher wrasses which are just amazing. His prices are very good and it was worth the drive. Eyecandy was great and very good for equipment especially the Zeovit stuff and Tunze. This is all in the last few days and all of them have the same problem bar vivid who frag on a massive scale and that is that they are waiting on stock and they are low on almost everything.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

any address to these wonderful places plz? , btw photobret i live near by eyecandy so i went there a few times but starting to realize they're being a rip off on most corals and bad customer service
Old 01/07/2008, 12:02 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
http://zoyzoy.com/aquarium/aquariumstoresmap.asp?zip=

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 01/07/2008, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Reef Hotspot: 2037 Pontius Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90025-5613

Medusa: 12003 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Phone: (310) 231-9191

Vivid Aquariums: 21126 Vanowen Street
Canoga Park, CA 91303
818-348-3288 (a drive for you but in my opinion worthwhile)

Amazing Reefs: 1842 N.Tustin Street, Orange, California, 92865
Old 01/07/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

the zoyzoy site is amazing! i have used it many times... i have been to alot of them... but now i just go to a few that are recommended by my local friends...

you should try to hit some up randomnly? you might find something you need? and it is always kinda nice to fish store hop if you have time... good to get an idea of what is around you incase of emergencies?
Old 01/07/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by derick2724
any address to these wonderful places plz? , btw photobret i live near by eyecandy so i went there a few times but starting to realize they're being a rip off on most corals and bad customer service
Wow! I found just the opposite. Most of the corals, polyps, etc. I see in his store are cheaper than most the other LFSs in the area. He has a few designer corals that are priced at a premium, but that's because he knows what he has.

I have always thought the service there was top notch. I don't need much help, but I have seen/heard Allan giving people all kinds of help.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Just come back from Medusa's and Reef Hot Spot, Medusa's had a nice Tyree Acro which I nabbed from them, otherwise not much else, few bits and pieces but some nice Clams and some cherry picked stuff. They have blue spotted Jawfish on sale for $89.

Reefhotspot are busy moving so their stock is a tad low..best to give them a call.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

My Choices

My favorite place to go is Vivid Aquariums, mostly for their cheaper nice frags, however, they can get pricey so shop around there and try to work out a deal with them, they usually accommodate. I haven't had much luck with Reef hot spot as far as livestock surviving, but they usually have a good selection and pricing (though if it always dies, its not worth much then obviously, just beware). I haven't been to Medusa, but will check it out soon.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phender
Wow! I found just the opposite. Most of the corals, polyps, etc. I see in his store are cheaper than most the other LFSs in the area. He has a few designer corals that are priced at a premium, but that's because he knows what he has.

I have always thought the service there was top notch. I don't need much help, but I have seen/heard Allan giving people all kinds of help.
i think allan has great customer service... he leaves you alone to do as you please and will help you out when you're ready. some corals are high priced, but he gets some nice stuff. this hobby isn't cheap. he's got good pricing on his frag tank...
Old 01/08/2008, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Reefhotspot are busy moving so their stock is a tad low..best to give them a call.
You mean they're moving out of their W. LA location? Or they're just moving stuff around?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Reef Hot Spots just got in 12 boxes of new stuff..Went down there and picked up a couple of nice Millis..a blue and a pink...got lucky!! from what I hear they will not be needing any of their hardware at their new place..so they are going to have a blowout sale on everything..not just hardware but livestock as well..so they can avoid moving them...
Old 01/08/2008, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Have I had bad timing with Reefermadness or has that place gone downhill since Chris left. I've been there 4 times over the last 6 months and the selection isn't as plentiful or healthy.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

FWIH..Reef Hot Spots new location will be by lax..
Old 01/08/2008, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

Re: My Choices

Again another odd event, I have aquired several fish and corals from them and have never had a problem. I even have a Rose Goniopora which are notoriously hard to keep which I aquired from them which is still very healthy 9 months later. Yuma's, Shrooms, SPS and LPS all going strong. Just one of those things I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mini_GBR
My favorite place to go is Vivid Aquariums, mostly for their cheaper nice frags, however, they can get pricey so shop around there and try to work out a deal with them, they usually accommodate. I haven't had much luck with Reef hot spot as far as livestock surviving, but they usually have a good selection and pricing (though if it always dies, its not worth much then obviously, just beware). I haven't been to Medusa, but will check it out soon.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:21 AM
Premium Member

Reefermadness is moving as well or at least that's what one of the guys told me last week...to El Segundo and Normandie if I recall.

Surprised no one has mentioned Fraggle Reef! Very reasonable prices and Miguel's a great guy.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

texsun, have you been there recently? how is his sps stock?
Old 01/08/2008, 03:28 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

as far as pricing goes though who has the best bang for the buck for sps?

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/08/2008, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by faded1004
texsun, have you been there recently? how is his sps stock?
I tried but the guy turned me away because they were in the middle of the move.

Pickings are getting slim here in the South Bay with Jeff/Oscar's closing shop and Reefermadness moving (although admittedly not that far).
Eat them up, yum!
Old 01/08/2008, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

for more bang for the buck, my vote is RHS..may have to wade through garbage to get that "one" but his prices are fair..