Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Question Looking for a Cheap R/O Unit

I am looking for a cheap RO unit and would like to know if anyone online here knows a good website to get one. I dont care if its a 2 stage?
Old 12/11/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Play fewer pay to play video games and spend more on a better RO unit, thats what i did ;c).
Old 12/11/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

You should check ebay, there is always someone selling an RO unit.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

lol..cant do that.. but I am still looking
Old 12/11/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/
http://www.spectrapure.com/

there's three to get ya started, i'm sure somebody will chime in with others
Old 12/11/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

ty-dwd
Old 12/11/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

yw HG. something to keep in mind is that RO alone is good, but RO/DI is best. look for those systems with both parts and package deals that come with handheld TDS meters are best. you want one of those (TDS meter) to monitor the efficiency of your system by testing your tap, then testing the water that the system produces. when all is said and done you want pure water, with a TDS of 0. 75gpd systems seem to be among the more efficient based on recommendations i have heard in the past.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

ty again!
Old 12/11/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

The Filter Guys. I think they are a good unit at a good price.Someone on here bought one from them today and was very pleased!!
Old 12/11/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

each of those links are to companies who are sponsors here at RC and they have forums on here as well. in the same order, those forums can be found at
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=439
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...e=&forumid=446
and
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=229

by reading through those you can get a feel for what people are liking/disliking about different products, customer service policies, etc... you can also ask questions directly to the manufacturers, which helps a lot.

BOOM! a trifecta!!
Old 12/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Team RC Member

You do not want to skimp on water quality. Water is the single largest ingredient in your system and everything in the reef depends on the quality of that water!

www.buckeyefieldsupply.com
www.thefilterguys.biz
www.melevsreef.com
www.spectrapure.com
www.airwaterice.com
www.purelyh2o.com

All are Reef Central sponsors and support both this forum and our hobby. None will sell you anything you don't need and all will be more than happy to speak with you without trying to strongarm you. Give each one a call or e-mail and ask questions. Before calling though it helps to find out a little about your tap water quality and how you intend to use the unit. Water quality information can usually be found on your City or water companies website, its public knowledge and must be published annually by law.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

i wrote the rave review about the filterguys and I say it again, there is no price on quality, 200 for a complete ro/di with tds meter and accessories is a great price. Don't waste 125 on a crappy corlife ro only and regret it.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

I can chime in as backup for airwaterice. Great service, Walter will not leave ya hangin.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone for the advise. I am going to look through the lists and see if there is something I could use! RC Rocks! Shadows all other forums!
Old 12/11/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Just had a great experience with the Filter Guys, they looked my municipalities water report online while I was talking to them, I wish I knew about them when I bought my unit. DI cardriges are less then half the cost of Drs F and S. and Marine Depot.
Bob
Old 12/11/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I play BF2 everyday and still got a nice unit from The Filter Guys lol.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:06 PM
Team RC Member

Everyone keeps making a big deal out of someone looking their water quality report up for them. Its simple! All public water systems in the US must publish their water quality reports annually by law, most post them on their websites for all to see. Its no problem at all to either link to the US EPA website that has another link to just about every report that is published online or just look up your City website. No big deal.

It is also Law that your water utility sends every registered mailing address a written copy of every year, you should already have the report yourself?

Any vendor can and will do this for you but why not do it yourself? I guess I'm strange but I keep a copy of the annual water quality report handy all the time.

A few very important things to remember though are that report only contains the things tested for and detected in that previous calendar year. It does not have to and probably won't contain things that were not tested that year. Not all contaminants are tested annually, some are every 3 or 4 years, some are not tested at all if they are considered "Aesthetics" like TDS or hardness.

The report is also "A snapshot in time", meaning it is representative of that moment the samples were taken. Water quality changes, especially in surface water systems. Storms come and go and treatment changes. Demands go up and other sources are added to meet needs. Blends and quality change.
Don't rely entirely on that report, its used as a guide only. If you look at it it actually gives you ranges. It shows the high and low levels detected for the samples taken and the maximum contaminant level if there is one. It is not a constant number and is subject to change at a moments notice. This is why we invest in high quality RO/DI units, to take that variable out of the equation.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreGamer
lol..cant do that.. but I am still looking
I hear ya man lol. Been hardcore for years. And AZ gave uber advice on the public reports of water quality. Mine changed bigtime come the winter months. Have an R/O unit but TDS unit can ensure that quality is stable in change of seasons when districts tend to change water qualities......
Old 12/11/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Go to premium Aquatics and look for Premium Reef brand.

They have lots of bang for the buck.

You will not be disappointed
Old 12/11/2007, 11:28 PM
Team RC Member

Premium Aquatics is not that good deal at all. For one they use a 100 GPD 90% rejection rate nano filter and not a 75 GPD 98% rejection rate RO membrane. They also use a 5 micron carbon block instead of a 1 or 0.5 micron which is much much better. No pressure gauge, no TDS meter, no RO bypass or flush valve. No autoshutoff valve or adjustable flow restrictor.
The only good thing is they do use a Spectrapure SilicaBuster DI cartridge which is great.

Not to bad mouth a sponsor but there are much better units available from vendors who deal strictly in water treatment. The $149 for the 50 GPD or $169 for the 100 looks good until you consider the extras you will need to buy.
Compare it to Buckeyes 75 GPD Premium at $161 which includes a 75 GPD 98% membrane, pressure gauge, TDS meter, 0.6 micron carbon block, flush valve, adjustable flow restrictor......
Other vendors have similar units in the same price range which include various pieces you will want and need.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

lol I am glad that everyone knows more than I do about the water %'s and dos and donts. Thanks again everyone.