Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/06/2008, 01:51 AM
Tank Collector

Just ordered 2 of those kits from protein-skimmer..... Thanks for the link Luke....

So far these skimmers look like they're going to do alright.... I cant wait to get mine on Monday.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:58 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by jokerjp
The bubble action shot!

The one instant flaw I saw with the thickness of the included airline tubing. It is simply too thin walled to not kink constantly. It was discarded and replaced with some extra tubing I had laying around. See kink below:

After a quick vinegar wipe down it was off to the break in tub. I dumped my last cup of skimmate into the tub so the skimmer has plenty of nasty stuff to work with.

In this pic the 1/2" restrictor was removed. Did you add it back in?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
In this pic the 1/2" restrictor was removed. Did you add it back in?
Yes the restrictor was installed before the pump was resubmerged, it fell out when I pulled the skimmer out of the water to take a pic of the kinked tubing. I have had the restrictor float out of the pump intake a couple of times after shutdown....noting a small dab of silicone won't solve.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:54 AM
One Good Friend

Have you remeasure the air pull? The 200's sicce was pulling 50scfh according to MS
Old 01/06/2008, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

A new day and a better running pump. The pump is no longer loud it's now very quiet. The reason I was hesitant to post "initial" air numbers earlier in the thread is because I expected to get much better numbers after the pump was running smooth.

Here is the new update after a minor tweak to the venturi position.

We'll see if I can improve more on that number in the upcoming days.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Have you remeasure the air pull? The 200's sicce was pulling 50scfh according to MS

I've measured the air pull three times scroll up.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:14 AM
DIY Junkie

joker
did you adjust the air nipple like i mentioned earlier? Is that where the air increase came from, or is it just typical mesh breakin?

What water level are you running it in?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Might have to get one of these after i start seeing feedback
Old 01/07/2008, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

That's what I'm waiting on... $300+ for a piece of equipment is NOT cheap.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
joker
did you adjust the air nipple like i mentioned earlier? Is that where the air increase came from, or is it just typical mesh breakin?

What water level are you running it in?
I did make several adjustments to the air intake piece, but I didn't see any major air increase upon doing so. What I did notice was a more steady air reading when I had it pulled back slightly where it was in my original picture. I'm open to suggestions on the best way to have the air intake mounted on the pump intake. I'll shoot a pic of how I have it currently later today.

I'm running in exactly 8" in all the pics I've posted, but I increased that to 9" last night to see what would happen.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Nice. Thanks for posting Joker I have a few Q's....can you please verify:

1) This is a genuine Sicce pump. Looks like the mesh & possibly venturi modded by M.S.?

2) Collection cup drilled for external waste collector. Is there a plug included for someone who doesn't use it?

Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagger
Nice. Thanks for posting Joker I have a few Q's....can you please verify:

1) This is a genuine Sicce pump. Looks like the mesh & possibly venturi modded by M.S.?

2) Collection cup drilled for external waste collector. Is there a plug included for someone who doesn't use it?

Thanks
As far as I can tell this is a genuine Sicce pump...I have no reason to think it's not. It looks and performs the same as my other Sicce pump. The mesh and venturi are being modded my Marine Solutions.

The collection cup is drilled nicely for an external waste collector. It does not include a plug...I used a vacuum line plug I had laying around in my garage.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I guess my question would be, how do you get these pumps to their optimal performance?

I guess time will tell... Thanks Joker!
Old 01/07/2008, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

I've been trying several different mesh configurations today and the best I've come up with is posted below. I think I'm going to stop messing with it now and just let it run a few days. The only thing different between yesterday's best #'s and today's best is that I used spiderwire fishing line to attach the mesh instead of zip ties on the last attempt.

If I remove the pump from the skimmer body I'm getting 45-50 SCFH, but with it attached this is the best I've been able to achieve.

You can see in the video a nice steady air draw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jokerjp/...38788698779138

On a side note I broke my first shaft today. Completely my fault as I was having startup issues with one of my configurations and snapped the ceramic shaft while trying to work on it while it was running...good thing I had an extra laying around
Old 01/07/2008, 03:56 PM
One Good Friend

Joker, what does the scfh do if you lower the water as low as it will go in the skimmmer? less head to test your theory, which is most likely correct. So the pump's do pull the air they are just being restricted somehow....hmmm. If thats the case then how would ati and orce be able to get the scfh out of the sicce's with teh same amount of head pressure. Whats the diameter of the output of the skimmer into the body? If the body taperes or restric's the flow it would be the problem. Thats a bummer to hear though.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Glad you tried spyderwire. I've always wonder why people used zipties to begin with... They are significantly bulkier and risk throwing off the balance of the wheel vs fishing line... Keep us posted Joker!

I can tell you are a tinker bunny! haha!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Joker, what does the scfh do if you lower the water as low as it will go in the skimmmer? less head to test your theory, which is most likely correct. So the pump's do pull the air they are just being restricted somehow....hmmm. If thats the case then how would ati and orce be able to get the scfh out of the sicce's with teh same amount of head pressure. Whats the diameter of the output of the skimmer into the body? If the body taperes or restric's the flow it would be the problem. Thats a bummer to hear though.
I've completely removed the mechanism to regulate water flow with this latest configuration so the water level is as low as it's going to get w/o altering the amount of water it's currently running in (8.5").

I'm getting very similar results on my ATI BM 160. I'm actually pulling about 5 SCFH more with the SWC unit, but I'm suspect that's due to my tweaking and not related to the skimmer body itself.

The pump's outflow into the skimmer body isn't restricted, but it does feed directly into a 90 degree elbow, which might be causing restriction, but is needed to direct the flow in a "swirl" before the bubble plate.

I'm going to let it run like this a few days then I may try lowering or raising the water level which is the last variable that i can think of.

I'm not bummed at all with these numbers. I honestly don't think I need > 30 SCFH to make this skimmer perform. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm not sure the constant quest for more air is always better. It depends on the skimmer body and a host of other factors IMO.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:13 PM
One Good Friend

I'd agree with you on the 160 but the 200 and 250 are just begging for more air than that ; ) I'd just like to see some more air figures with one of those two. As you would i'm sure as well. Great job with the posts btw
Old 01/07/2008, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Hopefully someone with one of the bigger skimmers will post their number soon. I'm interested to see what others are getting!
Old 01/07/2008, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by b16drag
That's what I'm waiting on... $300+ for a piece of equipment is NOT cheap.
I'm guessing you haven't bought much decent equipment then? I think it's a bargain
Old 01/07/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Nope, I'm a cheap ba$stard that just buys SPS's and Zoas!

I just think that if I am going to spend $300, it should work and work well! I'm not usually one to buy blindly... I'd like to think that I'm an informed consumer. And yes, I bought my odyssea skimmer knowingly.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:05 PM
See if you can pingaso it

"I'm guessing you haven't bought much decent equipment then? I think it's a bargain"

Depends ... you pay 350 for something and still have to tinker with it to perform well.... is that a bargain ?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

It's all relative. I've bought a $20 item that I've spent time and money on trying to mod/make better. Some just like to tinker and have better than average results that's all.

Brent
Old 01/07/2008, 08:25 PM
One Good Friend

My favorite skimmer pump is the odyssea wp1000. 39.99 and it will do 55+ scfh and never have restart problems.......I'm definately a cheapo
Old 01/07/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

do you have pics of the impellar tied with the spiderwire