Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/10/2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Well I got mine in today and it's breaking in right now. The bubbles are flowin so i'm glad the drain is on the cup. Too bad it's so tall that I have to take out one of my drawers! The other problem I have is that the pump won't turn if i fully push it in to connect it to the inlet so its pretty much barely connected around the o ring but it's working.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:28 PM
One Good Friend

Just got delivered today, so i'll have one fired up when i get home, can't wait to see it : )
Old 01/10/2008, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Thank You

Quote:
Originally posted by jokerjp
Put that in the pump intake with the thicker side facing out. That's the flow restrictor.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the clamness

Just got the baffle moved over and should be up and running tommorrow night.

Yeap coming off the corner like that there is noway the footprint is 7" x 9"
I wonder why they did it like that?

Quote:
I just remeasured and I agree that although the footprint is 7" by 7" square, with the outflow pipe being on the corner it looks like the workable footprint is 8" x 9" including the standpipe. I don't know how I missed this in my original measurement, and I apologize for the error. I wish I could modify my original post with the real footprint numbers to prevent issues by other RC members.

Please don't smash your skimmer, compared to other reef tasks sump baffles are easily moved.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:36 PM
g l a s s b o x

they should have made the plate like the BK Minis. if you can remove the elbow and "plug" the diffuser holes where the pump hits directly I would think it would help.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/11/2008, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

I have some good news and bad news.
Good: I finally have the pump spinning with the volute and pump notched and sealed plus it's starting to show some skimmate into the cup.
Bad: The shaft snapped while trying to adjust it. I put the two pieces back in and it works with the volute sealed and all. How do i replace the shaft and where? I can't find replacement parts anywhere and the place i did find them is a world supplier in new zealand! I read that sicce pumps run better without the shafts. Is this true?

One other question. What size tubing for the Cup?

Last edited by tsouth; 01/11/2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsouth
One other question. What size tubing for the Cup?
I bought new tubing the other day @ Lowe's. I think it was 3/8" ID. (but I do remember that the item Lowe's item # was 22272)
Old 01/11/2008, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, i looked at my impellar yesterday, and i thought the mesh mod was done pretty evenly. i will post some pics later.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

been following this was wondering what the word was? Is the 160 not that great?

I seem to see the mesh mod job is pretty shotty?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclops23
FWIW, i looked at my impellar yesterday, and i thought the mesh mod was done pretty evenly. i will post some pics later.

That's good news. The quality of mesh on my 160 was probably a learning curve issue along with a time crunch to satisfy customers. The power of RC is the problem has already been addressed by the vendor and apparently resolved. To me that's one of the greatest things about a community as large and influential as this one.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
they should have made the plate like the BK Minis. if you can remove the elbow and "plug" the diffuser holes where the pump hits directly I would think it would help.
I'll bite....what would have to be different to facilitate this on the SWC? The bubble plate is removable along with the elbow so I could in theory drop the elbow and plug the directly impacted holes, but as I've stated numerous times in this thread I really don't see the need for more air for the size of this skimmer.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I got mine fired up yesterday, I had to mess with the pump a little bit, but its now working. I plan on redoing the mesh.

I woke up this morning and saw some skimate. I'll post numbers once I get my airflow meter.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:17 PM
g l a s s b o x

Quote:
I'll bite....what would have to be different to facilitate this on the SWC? The bubble plate is removable along with the elbow so I could in theory drop the elbow and plug the directly impacted holes, but as I've stated numerous times in this thread I really don't see the need for more air for the size of this skimmer.
that was my thinking. but like you said, is it needed?

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/11/2008, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

When you got your first skimmate, did you leave the wedge pipe wide open? The first night I did as well ( leaving it wide open ) but now I struggle to get it create any to go into the cup without it being extremely watery. I know I have to redo the mesh though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Retzius
I got mine fired up yesterday, I had to mess with the pump a little bit, but its now working. I plan on redoing the mesh.

I woke up this morning and saw some skimate. I'll post numbers once I get my airflow meter.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I actually closed mine more and got dryer skimate. When I did this, the skimate started climbing up the neck but I never saw it go over the neck since I had to leave. I have to play with it once I get home but I think I should get it to go over the collection cup.

Also, I didnt want it to go over the cup because I was afraid of coming home to an overflowing cup. Hopefully it will be nice and dark when I get home.

I too need to redo the mesh on mine.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Why does the collection cup have a hole in the bottom of it?

Do we have to route that to our own homemade collection cup?

I don't get it.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CyboRob
Why does the collection cup have a hole in the bottom of it?

Do we have to route that to our own homemade collection cup?

I don't get it.
yes its a drain for the cup....you can use it....if not..there should be a plug that came with your skimmer.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

So i went out and got a CF shaft this morning and baby this thing is saweet! Yeah yeah first skimmer for me but hey it's badass for what its worth. It took a good 30 minutes to sand down the shaft to the right diameter but now it runs soo smoooth! Plus I'm having no problems turning it on and off. How do I run it for dry skimmate? Open or closed?
Old 01/12/2008, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
yes its a drain for the cup....you can use it....if not..there should be a plug that came with your skimmer.
Nope no plug.
Saw a picture in another thread with plastic and a rubber band around it, guess I'll do that too.

Thanks
Old 01/12/2008, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Hmm mine came with a plug also. It came in a clear baggie with the tubing and the volute nozzle the airline attatches to.