Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2006, 05:03 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Unhappy Understood!

I knew that when i got the piece , I've never had one last more than one year. Once a year i get one just to splurge, not very reef responsible agree!
Old 10/28/2006, 07:02 PM
TANK RAIDER!

we all die eventually

lol
Old 11/01/2006, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Sadly these things can actually "die" for 9 months or so. They just get smaller & smaller & might perk up from time to time or even reproduce as other's have said through fission which is misleading because it is only an attempt to shoot offspring into a more favorable location for food & flow. GARF.ORG has kept them successfully in a species tank.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: we all die eventually

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
lol
yeah, real funny.
Old 11/04/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

What are those species that Japanese reefers keep, that look simular to this but are photosynthetic?

maybe you should get one of those.
Old 11/04/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Smile

Your orange carnation is pretty.

I ordered on line what I thought would be one, but when it arrived yesterday, there were 5 corals on a really nice chunk of rock about 5"x4"x4". And there are some tiny ones coming up in various areas of the rock.

I had done a lot of research via my books and thought it would be not only pretty, but interesting to see if I had a "green thumb" in my 30 gallon tank like I do with my outdoor/indoor plants. I did read a lot that said these were difficult to keep alive

I have it sitting midway in my tank which has one 65 watt PC light with both white and blue actinic lighting. And now, over 24 hours later, it looks gorgeous! I have some pics and when I figure out how to upload them to this forum, I will post one.

Susie
Old 11/05/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

having a terrestrial GREEN thumb and an Aquatic BLUE thumb are by no means the same!
Old 11/05/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
What are those species that Japanese reefers keep, that look simular to this but are photosynthetic?

You might be referring to a species of lemnalia that are yellow and purple ish. Great looking corals and photosynthetic .
Old 11/05/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

I've heard that oyster eggs are a good food for these guys. I havn't been brave enough to try one myself yet...but I've done a bunch of research.
Old 11/06/2006, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:

I believe those are called Cup Corals, also Sun Corals, tubastrea spp., which are nonsymbiotic and are proven to be very hardy if fed regulary by some means. They do benefit from a DSB and additions of invertebrate foods and small meaty foods regulary. All that means "high maintenance" to me, which I don't want to get into, just yet.

I bought this orange carnation because it was pretty and on sale...you get what you pay for and Live and Learn!

I have already begun to notice the shrinking of these orange carnations and then a "regeneration".

Susie
You learn something new everday!
Old 11/06/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
having a terrestrial GREEN thumb and an Aquatic BLUE thumb are by no means the same!
I am not so sure that I agree with this statement. Green thumb plants require certain lighting, placement and feeding conditions, just as Blue thumb living organisms do.

Compare the wind and the damage that can be done to a green thumb plant to a blue thumb plant and the water current.

Also, water quality and feeding can cause a green thumb plant to either thrive or shrivle away. Green thumb plants take in nutrients by light and from the soil, food and temperature just like a blue thumb organism does via the water quality, food in the water and the lighting.

Also there is cross pollination of some green thumb plants which might be undesirable like the placement of blue thumb organisms which can emit "toxins" to other corals, etc...

That is my opinion...any further discussion would be highly interesting.

Susie
You learn something new everyday!
Old 11/06/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You might be referring to a species of lemnalia that are yellow and purple ish. Great looking corals and photosynthetic .
That or Nepthea?

Quote:
I believe those are called Cup Corals, also Sun Corals, tubastrea spp., which are nonsymbiotic and are proven to be very hardy if fed regulary by some means.
No that isn't what I am referring to... and what do you mean? Nonsymbiotic with what? Do you mean Nonphotosynthetic?

Quote:
I am not so sure that I agree with this statement.
yes, however, Plants don't require a proper pH in the air they reside in or they die. as far as we know.
I see your compairisons... and they do hold truth.
What I am just saying is that Corals require more "attention" to their surrounding environment than plants do IMO.
Old 11/06/2006, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Shawnts106

"having a terrestrial GREEN thumb and an Aquatic BLUE thumb are by no means the same!"

That is by far the best quote i have heard in a while...I like your stuff man.....Best of luck to ya....
Old 11/06/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

lol, well thanks!

ya' think I should list it as my quote?
Old 11/07/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shawnts106
[B]That or Nepthea?

No that isn't what I am referring to... and what do you mean? Nonsymbiotic with what? Do you mean Nonphotosynthetic?

Nonsymbiotic as in they don't carry zooxanthellae and are not dependent upon light so they can thrive under any lighting conditions, from high intensity to coplete darkness.

Susie
Old 11/07/2006, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLODEN53
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Shawnts106
[B]That or Nepthea?

"No that isn't what I am referring to..."

How about the orange polyp coral Tubastraea sp. which are in the Cnidarian family. These are bright orange and very pretty!

Or maybe Clathria mima, an encrusting sponge species from Fiji that sometimes appears on live rock. Bright orange and pretty too.

Susie
Old 11/09/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLODEN53
[B]
Quote:
That or Nepthea?
...thrive under any lighting conditions, from high intensity to complete darkness.
I just have to say that thriving is a term that probably doesn't apply to any aquarium husbandry regarding this Genus of corals. In the wild... ok...but in no means in an aquarium. I really don't think most get the scope of how little marine snow, particulate matter....whatever you want to call it, is in our tanks. It is highly unlikely most if any aquarium systems at the moment can sustain one of these corals long term. With that said, if they are sustaining, there's a long way between sustaining and thriving. These corals need a lot of food to survive, and without a dedicated tank, their long term survival is dismal. Sorry for the rant, just had to get this out there.
Aaron