Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2006, 07:11 AM
Moved On

I think my T-iso got contaminated... it is turning green. Ihave some more in the fridge that's still orange.
Old 08/07/2006, 01:29 PM
Moved On

Sounds like it did get contaminated Kathy...all 3 of my T-Iso's are still running orangish when newly started, quickly going deep brown when ready for harvest.

So, before I left for the office this morning the babies got another 8 basters of assorted live phytoplankton...Rotifer density is really high again. This evening maybe I'll get them back under the microscope...they look a LOT bigger than when I left Friday AM.

Matt
Old 08/07/2006, 10:22 PM
Moved On

More pics and vids this evening, 156 hours (6.5 days) post hatch - BTW, that's a new record on longevity of goby larvae.

Looking at them they all looked SKINNY, so I'm draining out some rotifers for enrichment PLUS I'm going to seive some of my L-Strain Rotifer cultures as well...maybe...we'll see.

Video at 200X - http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/GBG_156_8.avi

More soon.
Old 08/07/2006, 11:13 PM
Moved On

Alrighty, here's the lowdown on the maintenance. I removed 3 gallons worth of water and seived it for the SS rotifers that are now ultra-thick in the tank water. I removed an additional 1.5 gallons of water/rotifers and just dumped it - it's noteworth to mention that it rapidly FOAMED UP when agitated, so there's obviously a lot of nutrient buildup.

4 basters of phytoplankton went into the tank. I'm now dripping in 3 gallons worth of freshly mixed water. The collected rotifers are getting enriched with 5 drops of selcon...shouldn't take too long for them to clear the water out. Provided I don't SPILL THEM again, I'll get some enriched rotifers back into the tank in the next couple hours - the lights will stay on tonight to allow the larvae to continue to feed while those enriched rotifers are around.

That's pretty much the story on the larvae. The next batch of eggs are developing nicely, so I may have some extra larvae soon...I'm very tempted to just GET the 2nd 10 gallon tank and deal with the reprecussions later...afterall, if I make it over the hump there will be tons of Greenbanded Gobies to take care of!

Matt
Old 08/08/2006, 01:34 PM
Moved On

Another maintenance update. This morning I started a slow siphon and harvested another 2 gallons of Rotifers from the larval tank. I then strained that for enrichment. I also siphoned off about 1/2 of the total bottom, just doing some cleaning.

I've now mixed up 3 gallons of fresh water, added a liter of T-Iso to that + the last little bit of mixed phyto I had in the fridge (mostly the 2 Nanno types), and have it slowly filling back into the tank. The rotifers are still getting enriched, and will be added as soon as they clear the water of the Selcon.

I'd have to say, just giving a ballpark estimate, there are still 20-30 larvae.

Matt
Old 08/08/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

great work mwp! hats off for the effort and increasingly better survival rates. do keep us updated with your progress ya. its always nice to hear of breeding successes.

cheers,
ian
Old 08/08/2006, 10:52 PM
Moved On

Well, another round of pictures - it's now 7.5 days post hatch, 180 hours. Take a close look at the pics...in one it looks like there's actually an algae cell in there..not sure if it's T-Iso, Nannochloropsis or Tetraselmis. A couple shots have a SS Rotifer in the frame as well.

I'm getting concerned as the guts again don't look full despite there being abundant food...I'm going to do the L-Strain Rotifer Culture Addition tonight, seiving to 10 micron to include the copepods and other random stuff that are in there. Things in the larval tank are going to get much more diverse really quickly! FWIW, the 1 Liter addition of T-Iso has left the tank still heavily transluscent...I should probably stick to smaller dosings at this point.

MP
Old 08/09/2006, 12:23 AM
Moved On

BTW, the eggs that were laid last week have not hatched yet, so tomorrow is probably the day...probably in the AM!

Matt
Old 08/09/2006, 01:18 PM
Moved On

Well, things look about the same...I added 8 basters of mixed phytoplankton (all four types)...no hatch on the most recent batch yet.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 08/09/2006, 10:46 PM
Moved On

OK, so 8.5 days, 204 hours, and I pulled 4 larvae to photograph under the microscope. At first glance all looked robust, healthy and active. Within a minute of placing them under the scope they started DYING - Sudden Larval Death! I've heard of this happening in marine larvae, but I don't know the exact cause (but remember that low HUFA's may play a role). In any case, I think I will NOT be photographing larvae for a few days, or if I do, I will only grab ONE larvae!

Here's a couple pics:

Still looks like some larvae are no longer eating...

Matt
Old 08/09/2006, 11:44 PM
Moved On

Some more maintenance notes. This evening I've simply thrown away 2 gallons of the culture water, plus took out an additional 3 gallons which were seived for their rotifers. So the tank was brought down to just under 5 gallons of water again. 10 basters of phytoplankton went in (all types) and I'm currently doing a slow trickle of freshly mixed water into the tank.

I checked the salinity of the larval tank and found it to be a bit high, around 1.025, so the new water going in is 1.020.

The 3 gallons worth of rotifers I'm going to leave for selcon enrichment overnight...we'll see what they look like come morning. It sounds like I have as long as another week before I need to start thinking about hatching brine for these little buggers.

Matt
Old 08/10/2006, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwp
Yup, right you are. The mix is probably 1/4 Nannochloropsis. Now, here's the interesting thing...all the goby articles online point to using T-Iso exclusively in the tank...wierd in my opinion (however, they do also suggest selco / selcon enrichment, but they don't really state HOW since, if following the directions explicitly, you're only supposed to add rotifers at the beginning!)

Glad to hear all the cultures are going well Kathy! SS doing well?

Matt
I asked Todd about that.They used only T-ISO because they didn´t have the lab space and time to culture more than one species.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:14 AM
Moved On

HRM! Well I'm sure the selcon enrichment more than made up for any lackings of T-Iso..thanks for the info Luis!

Some last minute notes before I hit the hay; there are still 20-30 GBG larvae in there, possibly more but they're so darn hard to count. It's been a LONG time since I've seen a baby guppy, but in some respects some of the larvae already look that size...maybe I need to get the BBS going early

Another note on the larvae, they are still very heavily positively phototrophic...moving the flashlight around the tank, with all the lights off, in seconds there'd be at least 10 larvae running to the spot, and 20 or so would be there in probably less than a minute.

I obviously don't have much experience enriching rotifers, but the ammount I collected earlier this evening (around 11:00 maybe?) had already cleared out all 10 drops of Selcon, so I added another 10 drops. I guess they'll either be super enriched come morning...or dead...we'll see!

Matt
Old 08/10/2006, 10:27 AM
Moved On

So it's morning and I think the Rotifers have had their fill of Selcon...many were clumped together; 10 drops is probably a bit much for them. I strained them, got most of the clumps out, and fed them into the tank, along with 10 basters of mixed phytoplankton. We'll see how things are going this evening...I'm expecting a hatch of their younger siblings in the next hour or two

Matt
Old 08/10/2006, 11:16 AM
Moved On

So much for the hatch...it happened sometime between 1:00 AM and 9:00 AM this morning because there hasn't been a hatch yet, and a quick peak into the cave revealed that all the eggs are gone. GRRRRRRRRR!

Matt
Old 08/10/2006, 10:04 PM
Moved On

As per last night's comments, I'm going to skip the microscope shots on the larvae for tonight (and maybe a few more days). 4 more basters of the "mandarin mix" of phyto (T-Iso and Tetraselmis) were added to the tank around 9:30 PM...the rotifer population is doing a really good job of clearing the water QUICKLY now. I may do another water change this evening, but this time the purpose is expressly to dilute the rotifers.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 08/11/2006, 10:18 AM
Moved On

This morning it looks like I've had substantial losses...maybe only 10 larvae left? I'll check again later in the day when they're more concentrated. I added in 8 basters of the phyto-mix, and took out about 20 basters as I was literally to the top of the rim, about to flood if I didn't remove some water. The larvae that remain look healthy and have definitely grown a lot since hatching.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 08/12/2006, 01:42 AM
Moved On

Well, just another update...I kep the larvae up late tonight. 8 basters of phyto did squat earlier today, so I went back up to 10 just now...it's strange but as the water clears up, the larvae tend to congregate more on the immediate surface of the water. Adding in some phyto brings them down a bit and seems to get them feeding better. Maybe not strange if you consider one of the main theories of greenwater techniques and why they work.

Anyway, it's still quite hard to count the larvae...you think you found them all then there's a whole 2nd congregation you've missed off in the corner, but then that first group has scattered, or some are facing straight at you and easily get overlooked in the rotifer blizzard. I'm going to guess there are still 20-25 larvae...they've grown substantially now and I'm REALLY looking forward to "metamorphisis" in another 40-50 days.

Another note, looking at the remaining larvae they are now definitely showing some signs of feeding and "being fat". I think on the next batch I'll need to add in the L-Strain rotifers and copepods sooner in the process...those larvae that looked like they were starving (see prior microscope shots) suggest to me that they perhaps indeed were, looking for a food source larger than the SS-Strain. Just a thought...can't really think of anything else at this point.

I think if I can sell everything I raise at a roughly full retail price, it would possibly generate enough of a convincing monentary argument to justify that 2nd 10 gallon larval tank for the top of the wrought iron stand Looking at these guys I now have the "over the hump" feeling...I got through the rough early days, now I just have to not screw anything up (I'm somewhat dreading the brine shrimp switch..it's been a long time since I had to hatch and harvest nauplii, let alone try to enrich them!). Here's to hoping I can get them onto something prepared rather quickly (Cyclopeze?)

BTW, another nest was laid sometime today.

Surprisingly optimistic for a change...

Matt
Old 08/12/2006, 10:40 AM
Moved On

Hi Matt,
If you use just hatched brine shrimp it is best not to try to enrich them. They don't eat until at least a day after they hatch. For me with decapsulated eggs, it takes 24 hours to hatch at basement temperatures.

Cheers,
K
Old 08/12/2006, 12:08 PM
Moved On

Sounds like a plan Kathy. I was thinking of giving Dan's (Seahorsesource) decapsulated brine a shot...I freakin' hate the eggshells and had really poor results when I tried to decapsulate my own a few months back.

Another update on the GBG husbandry - the algae I added in this morning was cleared out within an hour or two! OK, there are DEFINITELY too many rotifers in there. 5 gallons (50%) of the water was removed, and FWIW it SMELLS...not badly, but there's definitely an odor. I'm adding in 2 gallons of freshly mixed water via a slow siphon, with about another 4 basters of the 'mandarin mix' (T-Iso and Tetraselmis).

The larvae are still overall lookin' good! I might actually be able to get some neat shots with the REGULAR camera if I'm patient!\

Matt
Old 08/12/2006, 03:42 PM
Moved On

3:30 PM - the water is clear AGAIN! 10 more basters of phytoplankton were added, a full mix.

Matt
Old 08/12/2006, 08:59 PM
Moved On

Got a rotifer sieve? If I were you, I would reduce that rotifer population right away. Scented water could mean a rotifer crash, and if that happens, the gobies crash too.

(Siphon half of the water thru the sieve into a bucket, and then add the filtered water back. Repeat as necessary.)

You do not need more than 15 rots per ml in the goby tank. Now that you have a microscope, the counting is easy.

As always, the best of luck to you!
K
Old 08/13/2006, 12:23 AM
Moved On

I'd say we're definitely around 20 rotifers per/ML. Kathy, yes the seive is a partial solution to keeping rotifer populations in check, but basically I'm using the rotifers from the larval tank that come out and feeding them to other tanks and getting rid of the water...it's keeping me on top of water changes/dilutions more than I probably would be otherwise.

I just tried a count on the larvae...got to 14 but darnit they are HARD to see when the main light is on...much easier to count when the flashlight is going 'cause they reflect light and rotifers don't, at least not to the same extent.

The water is AGAIN pretty much cleared out. I added another gallon of water I mixed up last night. I added 6 basters of mixed phyto from the fridge...I've gone through almost 3 gallons of phyto since harvesting just a few days ago! It's getting darn tough to keep the water even slightly tinged.

We're at 11.5 days now if my math is accurate!

Matt
Old 08/13/2006, 12:50 PM
Moved On

Well at 9:30 AM I added in another 1 1/4 gallons of clean (new) saltwater and the last of the phytoplankton, mostly T-Iso and Tetraselmis, that I had harvested just a few days ago! Things look OK, not much else to say other than we're past the 12 day mark now!

Matt
Old 08/14/2006, 01:22 AM
Moved On

I was out of phyto this evening so I set to harvesting Tetraselmis and T-Iso that was probably ready enough. 10 basters of the 50/50 mix went into the larval tank, where we still have plenty of GBG larvae to have fun with (we're past 12.5 days now...time to start considering setting up the brine shrimp hatchers!). We had a mandarin spawn this evening, and rather than just dump it I dumped it IN with the GBG larvae...at least the mandarins will have a fighting chance vs. 0 chance!

That's the news from the front!

Matt