Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 05/04/2006, 12:42 AM
Just another crazy

Very very cool, wish I had some feed back to give ya but I have never tried anything with eggs yet. I do hope to someday if my pair spawn so get er done . Thanks allot for posting all this great info and TONS OF LUCK to you.

Mike
Old 05/04/2006, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

WOW this thread is awesome! I hope everything works out and they hatch. Good luck!
Old 05/04/2006, 01:34 AM
Moved On

OK, so I'm kinda perturbed with myself for not checking back on something sooner Mai's article sights the hatch time as 72 hours for S. picturatus. I've found varying hatch times for S. splendidus ranging from 1-3 days as well.

HOWEVER, I just reread an article that I obtained entitled "Early Development of the mandarinfish, Synchiropus splendidus (Callionymidae), with notes on its fishery and potential for culture" by YVONNE SADOVY, GEORGE MITCHESON and MARIA B. RASOTTO- I believe Ed was kind enough to forward me on a copy (thanks again). Well, it turns out that the actual "HATCH" occurs between 12-16 hours after spawning (between 74 and 78.5 F respectively). SOOOOOO...by noon tomorrow I need to pull out some of those "eggs" and look at them under 10X to see what's really going on.

It also turns out that according to their observations, yolk absorption occurs within 36 hours. Settlement is supposed to occur within 14 days. In a nutshell, It sounds like I should start straining my rotifers and copepods through the 50 micron and on down to maybe 10 to provide some of the smallest foods possible starting as early as tomorrow.

Well, this is all just great, I'm supposed to leave for Iowa starting Friday afternoon and returning Sunday evening...hopefully I can get Renee and the new puppy to feed the Mandarin Babies in-between (if we're lucky enough to get some).

One last interesting observation for the evening - on this particular spawn I noticed a number of the eggs appeared to have air bubbles...most likely it was just air bubbles attached during the spawning event. None the less, I hadn't seen this before.

FWIW, my estimate of spawn size is definitely on the high side of 200-300 this time around. Some of the larger clusters of eggs had as many as 30 in them, with MANY (20+ clusters) having 4-5 eggs, + all the single ones). Maybe down the road I'll actually count them before incubating them sometime....

Matt
Old 05/04/2006, 11:20 AM
Moved On

OK, some pictures and some videos.

First the Kriesel - a full size shot 'cause you can see the eggs floating around in it if you look closely. This is exclusively air driven. Currently, most of the eggs are still circulating in the water column. The picture is HUGE, so I've linked to it vs. putting it inline here.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2040_big.jpg

Video of the Kriesel in action (about 4 mb, quicktime)
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2031.mov

Next, the new MiniJet Driven Incubator - in this one, the eggs all appear to be floating, although again you'll see that since there is so much bridal veil at the bottom I really couldn't see the eggs if they had sunk anyway. HMMMMMMMM. The eggs that are floating at the top are very gently circulating...it sounds like a similar situation to what RSMAN described with the propeller/lego stirrer setups.

And video of the stirrer in action:

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2032.mov

That's it for now...I guess in the next couple hours I should pull some samples to look at with the loop and see if we've had a "hatch" or not.

Matt
Old 05/04/2006, 12:12 PM
Moved On

Mandarin - Viable Eggs?

5-4-06, 11:55 PM - Took my first look at 10X - THE EGGS ARE DEFINITELY FERTILE!!!

Here's a picture of roughly 12.5 hours post spawn, 2 eggs (one looks good, the other I think is no good). These 2 are sitting on my desk for the rest of the day, I'll check in on them periodically to see what happens (afterall, this is supposed to be "hatch" time now). These 2 eggs were harvested from the Kriesel.

(FWIW, this egg photo was shot with a Nikon Coolpix 5700 in macro, hand-held, shutter speed around 60. The eggs are on a microscope slide resting on a LED flashlight....it's the closest setup I have to any kind of real microscope right now).

One last note, at 10X I can see tiny tiny tiny things swimming around (could be ciliates?). They're "microscopic" when compared to a rotifer. If I get a hatch, maybe the Mandarin larvae can eat THESE? IN any event, this evening I'm going to start seiving my cultures for small food.
Old 05/04/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Wow looking great mwp. Admire your dedication and enthusiasm!
Old 05/04/2006, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Matt,your thread is a thriller,we´re all breathless waiting for new developments!
I didn´t feed back cause I have no experience with pelagic eggs,other than two Centropyge species.I once had a S.splendidus pair making their spawn rise every evening in a reef tank,but could never see any egg,may be there weren´t any
But I´d like to contribute somehow with your project,which is in the edge of the mostly unexplored territory of breeding ornamental pelagic spawners.I think mandarins are the right entrance gate to this territory,since they have been raised on some occasions.
I have two comments:
1-You must be sure that you get fertile eggs.If you have a dissection scope,put some eggs in a tall petri dish and check them for early development.Pelagic eggs are fast developers,so you will know.If they´re not fertile,you don´t have to break your head with:
2-Incubation technique-I saw the description of W.Mai´s apparatus in the German book,and can´t understand the meaning/function of the propeller.Are the eggs supposed to be sucked halfway downwards in the whirlpool without being actually hit?
Again,I don´t have experience with pelagic eggs,but there is a large experience in commercial food fish aquaculture where all the eggs are pelagic.They don´t do anything special to them,other than keeping them in large aerated tanks...
Good luck with your mandarins!
Old 05/04/2006, 02:43 PM
Moved On

I looked at them at 1 and 2 pm, no change. 2:30 PM - WE HAVE A HATCH!

MP!!!!!
Old 05/04/2006, 02:49 PM
Moved On

OK, BTW, *** do I do NOW? These things are TINNNNNNNNY! Do I keep the Kriesel running? Do I dump everything into the tank?

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 02:50 PM
Moved On

WOW - I turned off the Kriesel and it's LOADED with larvae.

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 02:55 PM
Moved On

THEY'RE FREAKIN" SWIMMING! LITTLE CLEAR BLOBS WITH NO EYES JUST MOTORING AROUND!!! I WISH I could capture this on VIDEO but it's just not turning out!!!!!

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 03:15 PM
Moved On

Looked in the "Stirrer" - WE HAVE LARVAE THERE TOO! Well, so far that sums it up - BOTH the KRIESEL and the "STIRRER" I implemented DO WORK, at least for the first 24 hours. I wonder if my past spawns weren't fertile or if I just didn't noticed (because I wasn't expecting the hatch until day 3). Apparently by this time tomorrow they'll be feeding.....

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

That is simply awesome!

You might want to start jotting down a list like water parameters, lighting type, wattage, cycle, etc..., water temp, PH, other tank inhabitants, etc..., etc...

As soon as the rest of the forum catches wind of this, it could easily turn into a need to know all thread! With any luck on rearing the little tikes, quality of data kept, and overall interest, I can easily see this thread taking home the thread of the month.

Not too many ever get to be a part of mating mandarins. This is something special, indeed!

Good luck and I cannot wait to see the little devils.

PM me when you get a chance...

A reef just isn't for the ocean anymore.
Old 05/04/2006, 04:27 PM
Moved On

Mandarin Larvae

Ok, it's 4:20 PM, took some more shots of the larvae in the kriesel.

This first picture, the black bar is either part of the wrought iron stand (about 2" in front of the larvae) or less likely, it my be my black airline tubing....I honestly don't remember which. I took another look...i'm 99% sure that it's AIRTUBING on the outside of the kriesel (less than 1" in front of the larvae in the pic).

So far they're swimming upside down (which is apparently what they're supposed to do).

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 04:47 PM
Moved On

Tim, what kind of data would be helpful? Here's a quick rundown of the parent's tank:

24 Gallon Nano Cube, Reef Style, stock filtration with the addition of purigen, an airstone and live rock rubble in the middle chamber. A MiniJet 404 pump is set in the corner underneath the outflow and is on a wave timer - it typically runs in 15 minute bursts for a few hours in the afternoon and is running at night.

LIvestock in the tank (besides mandarins) currently includes:
2m/1f Hippocampus barbouri
6 or so Astrea sp.
6 or so Nerite sp.
6 or so Cerith sp.
6 or so Nassarius sp. (Tongans)
2 Pacific Conchs
Several Gorgonians both photo and non-photo
Cup Coral (Turbinaria) as a feeding station
Galaxea
Rhodactis scanthomae (spellling...I just added them).
2 Harlequin Serptent Stars
Xenia (silverbar)
An unknown Octocoral (like daisy / clove polyps but different)
A few misc Yellow Polyps
Caulerpa prolifera, racemosa, and 2 more species
Red Gracilaria
20 lbs. live sand
about 20 lbs. live rock (good cured stuff when added)

Typically water quality looks like this:

Temp - 75 to 80F
Salinity - 32-34 ppm
Specific Gravity - 1.024 - 1.026
pH - 8.0-8.1 usually
Alkalinity - 3 meq/L typically
Free Ammonia - usually 0ppm
Total Ammonia - typically 0.5 to 1.0 ppm
Nitrite - always 0.00 ppm
Nitrate - usually very low (coming out at 0.0 most times)
Phosphate - 0.5 ppm the last time I tested it (april 2)
Iodine - 0 (as it's supposed to be)
Iodide - I dose regularly and it always still tests out at 0.00 ppm
Silicate - 0
Iron - never detectable even though I dose
Calcium - last time I tested it, 360 ppm

Lighting - Stock Nano Cube 24 lighting (2 36 watt 50/50 Power Compacts) - typically on by 10:00 AM, typically off around 12:00 AM.

Food wise these fish get the same broad mix of frozen foods as my cardinalfish with the exception that they don't currently get Formula 1 or 2. So, basically Brine in the forms of SFB Spirulina Brine, Omega 3 Brine, and Hikari Enriched Brine. Mysis by Hikari, SFB and Piscene Energetics. "Plankton" from Hikari (big little shrimps like the PE Mysis). Cyclopeze. Foods are soaked in Selcon and/or Ocean Rider's Vibrance II.

That about sums it up. Water changes haven't really been necessary in this tank, although it did get a 5 gallon change last week when I used some of the water to refill the 10 gallon larval tank.

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 04:48 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

I have been lurking on this thread and following it closely. I have no knowledge to share but just a love for mandarins. Congratulations.

125g, (2) 250w 10,000k, (2) 110w VHO actinic, Sailfin Blenny, Coral Beauty, (2) False Percs, (3) Allen Damsels, and Support Staff

Check out the little red house (www)
Old 05/04/2006, 05:17 PM
Moved On

OH, some other notes on husbandry. I use Reef Crystals salt. I regularly dose Seachem's Reef Plus, Reef Complete, Reef Calcium, and Reef Iodide, as well as Reef Builder / Buffer (not as often as I should be doing lately..life is busy). I also utlize Kent's Marine Iron Supplement in this tank, but again on a very lose dosage (as I had it indirectly cause a perkinsus bloom in the clam tank that literally wiped out every bivalve).

I also forgot to mention that I've seeded this tank with Stomatellas from my other tanks - GREAT snails if you can get your hands on 'em! The reproduce relatively quickly to MEET the micro-algae growth in the tank, keeping things in relative check, and I've seen them going to town on Red Cyano (I have a touch of it in the Seahorse / Mandarin tank right now...mostly on the SEAHORSES and a couple of the gorgonians).

MP
Old 05/04/2006, 05:49 PM
Moved On

OK, something fun while we wait for the next 18 hours or so for the larvae to get their eyes...more "husbandry" notes. I described a couple pages ago how I trained these mandarins onto 100% frozen foods - I figured it might be neat to show the "Turbinaria" feeding station in action. To sum it up, I soak & defrost the foods in the fridge, then place the rigid 1" tubing down to the cup coral. I use forceps to pick the "meat" out of the soup and drop it into the top of the 1" tube, provided direct delivery down into the cup coral.

So here's some vids...they're big (15 MB or so, Quicktime format). The clicky-clak sound you hear is the camera refocusing...better to just turn the volume off (and I don't have time to convert these all into Flash and strip out the audio). They're uploading as I type this, so not every link will work right away...give it an hour if need be...

1. Food comes down and the two male barbouri fight over first dibs (as always). http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2079.MOV

2. While the males are off fighting (the smaller one snicks stuff out of the water column all the time, he's not so "tied" to the feeding station) the FEMALE comes up. She's still getting the hang of it (and is much more cautious). http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2080.MOV

3. Mrs. Mandarin makes her appearance at the buffet. http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2081.MOV

4. Mr. Mandarin always takes his sweet time. Usually, as it happens this time, Mrs. Mandarin comes back for a 2nd helping (gotta keep makin' babies afterall)! http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN2083.MOV

SOOOO....do I black out the sides of the larval tank? Thoughts?

Matt
Old 05/04/2006, 11:08 PM
Moved On

11:00 PM - so another quick update seeing as I'll be gone by 12:00 pm tomorrow! Tonight I worked out a feeding schedule with Renee. Basically, we're straining the rotifer/copepod co-cultures as well as the tiggerpod cultures through 120 micron and collecting the outflow with 10 micron sieves respectively. It looks good so far, mostly rotifers and little copepods (I'm assuming) and will probably be good enough to tide these guys over! I added some in tonight to show Renee how to do it; granted the fish won't be eating until this time tomorrow at the earliest.

Still, the same questions remain...do I "de-kriesel" the babies or leave them in, and do I darken the tank sides or not. There's no direct light, although the tank is next to my phyto/orchid culturing racks...a total of 10 40 watt flourescents close by.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Matt
Old 05/05/2006, 12:38 AM
Moved On

OK, this one is going to blow your mind. It's 12:25. This picture is a Mandarin larvae approximately 25 hours after spawning.

OK, so first things first, although I can't actually SEE any EYES, I can say that apparently their SENSES (lateral line?) are working...they swim away rather quickly when I put the pipette in to suck one out. Took about 5 minutes to gently get one for photographing.

To the naked eye under ambient light they're barely noticeable. When I take the flashlight to them, they appear a light transluscent olive green (of course you lose this when viewing them with such strong backlighting in the photograph). Anyway, WOW.

MP
Old 05/05/2006, 12:47 AM
Moved On

OK, so about 12 hours from now I'm gone and the Mandarins are going to be in Renee's charge I'm going to encourage her to post whatever she likes here, including any urgent needs for help so please be helpful in any way you can if she posts! I'll probably get two more larval photos up before I go...I'll have the camera so as long as we can collectively keep them alive through Sunday evening, I'll be able to get another set of pics then!!!

So here's my battle plan. I've seen NO mention of the sides being covered, but I will likely cover at least some of them before I go...still not sure on this.

With regards to feeding, the strategy is to feed 2X per day with rotifers/copepods that are seived first through 120 micron and then collected in via 10 micron...so the size range of any live foods offered should be 10-119 microns The cultures themselves are going to be feed TWICE per day with stored live phyto mix containing roughly equal parts Tetraselmis, Nannochloris, Nannochloropsis and 1/2 the Isocrysis (I'm still ramping up this culture). We're also going to add some (But not a lot) to the larval tank, more to keep the foods going vs. going a "greenwater" route. There's already a fair copepod population in this tank from prior feedings (I'll never be able to get rid of them without sterlizing it) and there is some "gunk" as well so hopefully things will work out.

I'm going to keep the larvae in the Kriesel but tonight (next 15 minutes or so) will be releasing the larvae from the "Stirrer" as there's no easy way to feed items that are in it and I have it turned off. Renee will try to feed both the main tank AND the kriesel.

That about sums up the battle plan. I PM'd RSMAN to get any additional info he might be able to provide (not sure if he CAN divulge info or not)...anyway...RSMAN, I know you've done it, so any help you CAN provide, by all means please do

Wish us (and especially those larvae) lots of luck! Sounds like if we can get them to 14 days we're GOLD...baby brine is EASY from that point!

MP
Old 05/05/2006, 11:32 AM
Moved On

5-5-06, 36 hours post spawn - Starting to look like a mandarin, sort of....

Well, I'm out! Wish us luck!

Matt
Old 05/05/2006, 12:26 PM
Moved On

OK, last post and I'm literally out the door. So the final phytomix has been skewed a wee bit more towards Isocrysis on the advice of RSMAN. The final mix is 50% T-Iso, 25% Tetraselmis and 25% Nannochloropsis.

I've added 4 basters of this mix to the tank and placed the rest in the fridge. I've also dosed with Reef Plus (1/2 cap)...can't hurt. So, starting this evening Renee will be seiving the rotifer/copepod/tiggerpod cultures and adding in another 4 basters...that will happen twice on Saturday and twice on Sunday.

I'm so very anxious...I can see a 1 CM baby mandarin swimming around at 2 months and I LOVE the idea

Wish us TONS of luck!

MP
Old 05/05/2006, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Matt,

I'm so glad the kreisel is working out...this is awesome man! My seahorse babies are doing very well, so you and Renee can have ALL of my luck!

With the little experience I have in raising clown and seahorses, I think the kreisel should be turned off. Being as the mandarins don't have fully developed eyes, I'm sure they hunt by tracking the tiny vibrations of the pods and rotifers. My thinking is that this will be easier for them in still water, but I don't KNOW anything about this.

My LFS got a wonderful looking pair of mandarins in, and I have them on hold. Not sure I'll ever get a spawn, but dangit I just HAVE to try now.

Congrats on an incredible thread/experience man!

Good luck Renee, we are all rooting for YOU now

Jason
Old 05/05/2006, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Excellent,Matt!
So it probably means eggs hatched in both incubators and you missed the larvae,so hard to see.
Don´t expect them to feed before the eggs got pigmented and the yolk sac is reabsorbed.
Good luck!