Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 02/21/2006, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dman
JHardman, thanks all the same but the guy you want to talk to regarding the coils is rsman, I've built three of them so far and all of them have been stunning failures. There is a guy building them, look for dragonslayer in the DIY forum.

rsman, I know, I know, but I really haven't had the time.
Are you sure its dragonslayer ?? When I look him up he joined back on 04/16/2005 but has never posted
Old 02/22/2006, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Just had to say most impressive. I breed african cichlids, similiar setups without all the extra filteration.

Am just getting into breeding a few SW species. Can't wait to see some pics on the whole thing running.
Old 02/23/2006, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

Actually some successful clown breeders were former FW angelfish breeders using basically the same set-up
Old 02/23/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Bah Angels! LOL

Am taggin this thread now can't wait to see all done.
Old 02/23/2006, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Actually some successful clown breeders were former FW angelfish breeders using basically the same set-up
Actually I used to bred angels and discus.

Sorry I haven't got more done this week. I've had a couple of tank installs to do and I just got finished recording a radio commercial. Now it's time to get back to work.

Bald Guys never have a bad hair day.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:43 AM
Moved On

Is it built yet?
Old 03/02/2006, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackOnyx
Is it built yet?
Sorry, I've been kind of busy and haven't got to finish it yet. I'm working on setting up some new tanks for customers and I have to work on them first.

I am getting to work on a new tank that I've not had the chance to work with yet. I'm starting work on a Oceanic "Half Circle" 144 gallon tank for a customer. It looks like this is going to be a really nice project. A nice size tank, a new shape, and no budget, just get what I want.

Old 03/02/2006, 01:09 PM
Moved On

business is always good.
Old 03/11/2006, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackOnyx
Is it built yet?
I know everyone thought I had forgot about this thread, but I haven't. It is now built and I'm leak testing it now. I have the bio filters cycling in another system and I will transfer them over to this system the first of the week.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to get feedback from the other members about the setup so I could make any changes I needed to make before everything was set up, and I made a lot of them. The main thing I did was split the system up into three seperate systems. One for the brood stock, one for larvae, and one for growout. What I have running now is the brood stock system. It now consists of twelve 20 gallon tanks and twelve 15 gallon tanks, and three 29 gallon tanks. This should be more than enough for me.

I should have the other systems ready in the next couple of weeks. Now that I've finished this one I've got a lot better idea of how everything goes together. The larvae tanks will consist of a series of 10 and 15 gallon tanks. The grow out system has six 29 gallon tanks, three thirty gallon tanks, and two 100 gallon tanks. There is also room at the end of this row to add more is I need it.

Now the really good new, my first fish will be here Wednesday. I've got three pair of Akindynos, two pair of Allardi, two pair of Clarks, and a pair of Orange Peel Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis tonozukai).

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get another camera. Someone decided they needed mine more than I did and lifted it.

Old 03/11/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Oh SNAP
Old 03/29/2006, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Bump. Great thread!
Old 03/29/2006, 06:18 PM
trying to raise cap clown

Holy Jesus! wow that's how to do it
Old 03/29/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

CaptiveMarine > waiting on more pics
pic whore #1 up the pictures
Old 03/30/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty late to this thread, but I do want to post one correction. In marine environments nitrate is actually more toxic than nitrite. The chloride salts in the effectively out compete the nitrite and prevent it from bonding to hemoglobin. This is why adding salt to the water is a standard treatment for nitrite toxicity in freshwater systems.

I'm rather impressed with you set up. Since coil denitrators don't seme reliable have you considered a sulfur denitrator? I agree nothing compares to regular water changes but I think you might save some $$ in the long run with such a system.
Old 03/30/2006, 07:48 PM
the cow flys at dawn

I wouldnt say nitrate is more toxic than nitrite even though it seems to be much less toxic than in FW and both are much less toxic than ammonia.

there is nothing especially unreliable with a well built coil denitrator, aside from it being a bio filter to begin with, (something we already have to rely on very significantly) the sulfur ones are no better or worse in this regard, just smaller, and more $$ in both initial cost and running costs
Old 03/30/2006, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Three words- Algael scubber array
Old 03/31/2006, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

I've never seen any scientific evidence that nitrate was, at all, toxic, and I have read a whole lot about water chemistry. Of course, no one wants it because with nitrate comes algae problems. Also, I think I read something about it possibly making the zooxanthellae in the corals multiply to disproportionate levels? Anyone?
Old 03/31/2006, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

brandonberry,
it is toxic, but much less so then ammonia
Old 03/31/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Siklid, Care to share your source for that info?
Old 03/31/2006, 12:02 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by brandonberry
Siklid, Care to share your source for that info?
I can give it to you from personal experience.

Having ammonia at >1.0ppm will wipe out your tank, everything. And having >100ppm nitrate will not bother your fish at all, but will cause problems with inverts.

Similarly nitrite at >1.0ppm will wipe out your livestock, while I have seen FO systems that are running great for years with >150ppm nitrate.

Nitrate in SW is not highly toxic, ammonia and nitrite is.
Old 03/31/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHardman
I can give it to you from personal experience.

Having ammonia at >1.0ppm will wipe out your tank, everything. And having >100ppm nitrate will not bother your fish at all, but will cause problems with inverts.

Similarly nitrite at >1.0ppm will wipe out your livestock, while I have seen FO systems that are running great for years with >150ppm nitrate.

Nitrate in SW is not highly toxic, ammonia and nitrite is.
yep yep, and if you disagree with these numbers try doing a search in the forums thats plenty of info on this site about it
Old 04/02/2006, 06:36 AM
Moved On

Just the same, a nitrate removal system would be great for a system this size. I am a firm believer in water changes, but it will get expensive on this scale. Think about it ; 500 gallons approximately for just the breeding system alone. If he does a 20% change once a week, that's 100 gallons, at 20 cents a gallon for water and salt, that's 20$/week, 80$+ a month, 1040$ a year. He's got three systems!
Old 04/02/2006, 06:42 AM
Moved On

But then, of course, he gets his salt at wholesale....
Old 04/02/2006, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Nitrite is now believed to be mostly harmless in SW systems.Check Randy's article in RC mag...
Old 04/02/2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

have a link for that article ? would love to read it