Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2005, 03:54 PM
Moved On

You may wish to try the rotifers. Order some from Reed mariculture, and some of their rotifer diet, follow the directions, and you will have lots of rotifers very easily. it is very easy to feed rotifers, and it is really an appropriate food for the newly hatched larvae.
Old 12/01/2005, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mako56
Trying the dry food for the fist couple times gota give it a chance. I don't really expect to get this for a while but I am not giving up till I do. After a few tries I will do the rot thing.
I agree with Edgar that the white tank will make hunting rots more difficult. What makes it even more difficult is the complete lack of rotifers all together.

Maroons are not a species I would suggest straying from rotifers. If anything you should be looking for S strain rotifers as maroons are one of the smallest fry and can be very difficult to feed. My money is on improper food being the #1 reason for die offs. Get the food issue taken care of and then see if the white container will work.
Old 12/01/2005, 06:12 PM
Just another crazy

WOW cool lots of imput THANKS. The tank is clouded because I got the acrylic thinking it was clear and when I got it home got ready to put it together to my surprise it was the cloudy type. I don't have anthing but time stuck in it so its no big deal to change it. They did spend allot of time on the sides. So the bottom should be white? I will just get some more acrylic and whip up another tank. Kinda looks lie the next hatch day will be when I am on night shift so chances are I will miss this one too. I gota come up with a piece of tile or something too. And I will be getting some rots maybe the dry food good when they get a little older.

Mike
Old 12/01/2005, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

i also had tried dry food(cyclopeeze)as first food for oc. clown but total loss.
then use newly hatched bbs as first food, 25% survivial.
but i think day 0 maroon baby's month is too small to accept newly hatched bbs.
Old 12/01/2005, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Studies have shown black or cardboard colored sides have a higher fry survival rate. White actually scored the worst as the rotifers were hard for the fry to spot against it.

Your dry food will be a great addition around day 14 or later. By then there should be a few large enough to take it. Make sure to practice hatching baby brine as they will be vital for at least a week.
Old 12/02/2005, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

Mike,

That is harsh about being on nights when the next lot hatch. How often are they spawning?

Steve
Old 12/02/2005, 12:52 PM
Just another crazy

Thanks for that Atticus I will make a new tank gota have the best chances I can. Wow day 14 not to good for day one then there are two sizes the small stuff says between 100 and 200 microns.

And for rots next week I will be trying them also what do you suggest Kathy the kit for $75.00?

Steve they lay eggs at least two time a month and sometimes three.

Mike
Old 12/02/2005, 01:01 PM
1 clown short of a circus

If you are looking for rots, you may want to check out aquaculturestore.com. They even have a very affordable kit with some needed materials (like a rot strainer) included. Nothing fancy, but it works for me. HTH
Old 12/16/2005, 05:42 PM
Just another crazy

Well I built a new tank and covered it with black plastic. Got the rot thing going (lots to learn about this yet).

Heres Ma and Pa with the eggs.

Mike
Old 12/16/2005, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

keep us posted on how it goes...i was also thinking of breeding maroon clowns
Old 12/16/2005, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, keep us posted this should be very interesting and I wish you good luck. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
Old 12/20/2005, 11:15 PM
Just another crazy

Well looks like tonight is the night again but I will have to fish out as many as I can because they didn't like my tile this time. I hope I have enough rots. When they first started I could see them really good under the microscope but now what I see are just tiny little dots moving around. I am thinking these are babies but I never did this before so I am not sure. Going to put some in with the baby clowns any way they should be small enough.

Mike
Old 12/21/2005, 03:46 AM
Just another crazy

Well they hatched and I caught about 50 or so I would guess took some more pics (like they wouldn't be the same) but I will check them out tomorrow and maybe post them. Now we will see how long these live.

Mike
Old 12/21/2005, 09:23 AM
Moved On

Good luck!
Old 12/21/2005, 11:09 AM
Just another crazy

Here are the pics for this batch.

Eggs just before hatching.

A little bigger.

Babies just hatched.

A little more from the side.

Mike
Old 12/21/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

good luck raising them dude.

Old 12/21/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Collecting Clownfish Fry

I had a question for everyone. I have been reading a lot of threads on raising clownfish and I've noticed that most, if not everyone waits until the fry hatch and then collect them. I was wondering why?

I had a pair of Maroon and a pair of Ocellaris clowns that were spawning in the same 55 gallon tank at the same time. I use to take the tile out that they would lay the eggs on and put it into a 10 gallon tank to hatch them (on the night of the hatch). I was wondering why more people don't do it this way. Which is the better way?
Old 12/21/2005, 03:15 PM
Just another crazy

Hey 1jared1 nice to meet ya, if and or when I can get them to lay there eggs on a tile I will this trying to fish them out of the tank is a hassel but I checked today and it looks like I did get allot more than 50.

Mike
Old 12/22/2005, 11:01 PM
Just another crazy

Well day two and there are still about thirty or so left here are some pics. Can you see any full bellies on these?

Mike
Old 12/22/2005, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

how about the length of newly hatched baby?
Old 12/23/2005, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

Mike,

Way to go.

Merry Christmas too.

1jared1, I think that everyone tries the tile process, but the clowns have a mind of their own, and might not like the tile provided.

Kathy, has success with this as her friends clowns are very accomodating and lay on the tile all the time. Such obedient fishes....!!!!

Steve
Old 12/23/2005, 01:56 PM
Moved On

More like well trained owners!
:0
Cheers
Old 12/23/2005, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mako56
Well day two and there are still about thirty or so left here are some pics. Can you see any full bellies on these?

Really amazing pictures! Wish I could take close-ups like that.

It's been a while since I raised larvae but I kinda remember that the stomach's looked bigger than the heads when they were full. When looking from above there should be a definite stomach bulge.
Old 12/23/2005, 10:42 PM
Just another crazy

WOW day three and there are still allot left. never made it this far yet.

Mike
Old 12/23/2005, 10:47 PM
Just another crazy

And they laid another batch of eggs today. Wish I could send them to you Kathy. And guess what not on the tile again but I guess these will be fish food anyway if these babies makes it that far.

Mike