Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 04/19/2005, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I've not taken any new pictures recently. All appears to be going well as far as I can tell. They are still alive, 11 days and counting.

I assume that they must be eating the brineshrimp nauplii now but I've never actually seen a larva capture one and I've spent a lot of time looking in the tank.

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/19/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP
I assume that they must be eating the brineshrimp nauplii now but I've never actually seen a larva capture one and I've spent a lot of time looking in the tank.

Regards

Lisa
Well, if they are still alive after 11 days they must be eating something ...are you supplying them each day with BBS?
How many are you feeding?
Old 04/19/2005, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Yes they are getting newly hatched brineshrimp every morning.

I think that there are about 15 left out of the 25 that I removed from the nano tank. I'm quite attached to the tiny little things now.

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/19/2005, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

You should be getting a new spawn any day now! Or have you allready? How does your female look like? Is she carrying eggs?
Good luck
Old 04/19/2005, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

How many sexys did you have and how long did you have them before they spawned?? I'm thinking of starting to breed these guys
Old 04/19/2005, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

ohhh and one more thing did you notice of the larvae were attracted to light like peppermint shrimp fry per chance...thanks, just wondering if the larval collector would work for these
Old 04/20/2005, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Purplehaze,

Yes one of the females is carrying eggs again. Now that I have a better grasp of what to do I will attempt to raise a larger amount when she next releases. Although it's still early days with this first lot I suppose, they've still got some growing to do.

PeejFish,

I have 3 Sexy shrimps, two are noticeably larger than the third. I'd had them for 2 months before I noticed one of the females carrying eggs and yes the larvae are definitely attracted to the light.

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/20/2005, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

ah thanks for the reply LisaP, I was also under the impression you could keep any amount of them aslong as its odd numbered? such as 3 5 7 and so on?
Old 04/20/2005, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I have heard the 'odd numbers' rule mentioned before but I don't know how true it actually is. 3 just seemed like a good number for my small tank.

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/20/2005, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Hallo PeejFish

Bei mir leben 2 Frauen 1 Mann und ca 40 Kinder in einen Becken
welches mit an den Hauptbehälter angeschlossen ist.

@Lisa

Du wirst noch merken das die kleinen nach der Umwandlung dort besser wachsen als in einen Zuchtbecken.

MfG Sylvio
Old 04/20/2005, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Japanese please!
Old 04/20/2005, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ruck'n'reefer
Japanese please!
Old 04/20/2005, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

2 Ž?1 ?l‚Æapprox ?B40 ?l‚ÌŽq‹Ÿ‚Ã??ô–ÊÅ*Ã*‚É‚±‚ñ‚É‚¿‚Ã? Ž„‚Æ‚ÌPeejFish ?Z‚ñ‚Å‚¢‚é‚Ü‚½Žå—v‚È—eÅ*Ã*‚É•t‚·?B@Lisa ‚_‚È‚½ ‚Ã?•iŽÃ*?ô–ÊÅ*Ã*‚Å‚æ‚è‚»‚±‚Ɉç‚‚½‚ß‚É‚»‚Ì’Ê’m†šÃ°â€¢Ã?Å’`‚ÌŒã‚Ì?¬‚³ ‚¢‚Ì‚æ‚_?Â߂é?B

MfG Sylvio

Old 04/20/2005, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanx, that's much better )
Old 04/25/2005, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I still have baby shrimp.

They are 17 days old today and look like this:

They are noticably larger than when they were first released and a darker orange colour too. I think that I have at least 14 left but there maybe more lurking in there. They are increasingly difficult to spot as they tend to stick to the sides of the aquarium and only occasionally make brief trips out in to the water column. The sides of the tank are covered in a thin layer of algae which helps them to blend in almost completely. I don't expect that they will be ready to settle out for a while yet.

I have just finished reading April Kirkendoll's helpful and entertaining book 'How To Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shimp'. She states that she got somewhere between 10 to 20% survivorship of her shrimp. Is that what you have all found too?

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/25/2005, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Hallo Lisa
Herzlichen Glückwunsch .

Wenn du noch Tips für die (wurdemanni) brauchst?
Die habe ich auch schon nachgezogen.

MfG Sylvio
Old 04/25/2005, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP
. She states that she got somewhere between 10 to 20% survivorship of her shrimp. Is that what you have all found too?
Not me,may be the pros!
My current best # of shrimp setting is:

L.wurdemanni-10
R.durbanensis-1
L.amboinensis-0
L.debelius-0
S.hispidus-0

Lisa,you´re doing great! Larvae are nicely colored,they still don´t have pleopods,do they?.
So how you solved the uneaten bs removal problem?
Good luck,you´re almost there!
Old 04/25/2005, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Hallo Sylvio,

Ich habe kein Lysmata wurdemanni. Ich wollte gerade erlernen, wie sie angehoben wurden.

Wieviele für Sie überlebten? Wenn nur 10% meiner Garnele dann überleben, habe ich nur 2 oder 3. Ich sollte mit mehr begonnen haben.

MfG

Lisa
Old 04/25/2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Luis,

Ah, so that's 10 Peppermints in total. Hmm, so I could actually end up with less than 2 or 3 shrimps then..... that's assuming I'm really lucky of course.

I'm not sure if they have any pleopods yet, when I take one out again I'll try to take a good look at it under the microscope. Assuming it stays still for long enough for me to do that. I definitely couldn't see what April refers to as the 'spear legs'. Do all species of shrimp develop those?

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/25/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I forgot to answer your other question. I have been performing 22% water changes first thing every morning. During which time I hoover the bottom of the tank and also try to remove as many of the larger brineshrimp as I can. After that's done I add in the fresh newly hatched baby brine.

Regards

Lisa
Old 04/25/2005, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Hallo Lisa

Den Erfolg bei den Thor kommt beim 2. mal

Benutze einen konischen Behälter am Anfang.

Ich habe 80 Thor von einen Wurf gezogen.

Berichte über Wurdemanni (glasrosenfressende Garnlen)
findest du in unseren Forum.

MfG Sylvio
Old 04/25/2005, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Don´t rely on statistics,anything can happen.Play the game

You need to look from the side to see pleopods,perhaps in the rearing tank with a mag.glass?

Spear (or paddle,or oar) legs belong to Lymata.Peppermints have 1 pair (pp5th) while amboinensis and debelius have 3 (pp 3rd,4th and 5th).
Old 04/25/2005, 10:30 PM
Reefer

Luis
I see buds,

Lisa,
Can you post a high res link or a zoom on the abdomen. Ant. are bifurcated as well, antennular scale looks very developed.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 04/26/2005, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

are you going to sell these sexy shrimp when they are grown and amazingly beautiful creatures
Old 04/26/2005, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Breakn, I have my fingers crossed that some make it to settlement but I'm trying not to think too hard of what I will do with them after that. I have the perfect spot for them to grow on if I am fortunate to keep a few, but after that I don't know. I guess I'll pass them on to other reefers. I definitely cannot put them in my big display tank as my Scarlet Hawkfish would eat them for sure. Still, I mustn't get ahead of myself as things could all still go horribly wrong.

Luis/Spawner, I have been studying them with a magnifying glass all morning but I can hardly make out the legs so I doubt that I will be able to really see if there are tiny pleopods present. It's definitely a job for the microscope. I have uploaded a bigger view of the picture above though I'm not sure it will help that much.

See it here

Regards

Lisa