Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Question Drip Dry Snails???

I got an order of snails that were shipped dry (except for a moist piece of paper towel). I've read that snails are especially sensitive to changes in salinity and should be drip acclimated if possible to avoid internal damage that can kill them weeks later. So here's the question: If they were shipped in water I would drip the bag to gradually match my water, but with no water in the shipping bag, drip acclimation doesn't sound like it would really help - what is the right way to introduce these guys?

Thanks
Hoss
Old 01/10/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

I would look at as high tide and slowly add water till they are covered in water just do it slow. When i brought back snails and crabs from Mex i didnt put any water in w/ them and just threw them in the tank when i got home about 13 hrs later. Hope this helps!
Old 01/10/2008, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

I have never used a drip on my snails. Seems to work ok but thats just me.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Do you have the make to noise of the waves that come with the tide? (joking)

Seriously though, at this site http://www.reeftopia.com/guarantee.htm
, at the bottom section “HOW TO ACCLIMATE MARINE FISH AND INVERTEBRATES” it basically says what CHARLIE AGUILAR recommends.

Step 4: Cut each bag open just below the metal clip, rubber band or heat seal. Using a 1-oz measuring device, (a shot glass works well), pour 1 ounce of aquarium water into each bag. Repeat this every 5 minutes until you have doubled the original amount of water. It is a good idea to stabilize the bags during this process by placing them upright in a tray or other device. Coffee cups or a casserole dish work well. Be sure to use a stable platform during this process.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

I just dripped mine it worked great! Take a five gallon bucket and let it drip until 3/4 full. Place snails in your aquarium.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I have some conch shell thats as close as i can get u to the real thing
Old 01/10/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I like to drip mine for at least 3 hours. I've read before that Dr. Ron Shimek suggests 5-10 hours of drip.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

I guess if the exposed flesh is only 1/4 or 1/2 covered in water it may be easier to adjust than if the whole thing was covered, but once it is I don't see any benefit to continued dripping. I have to assume that most drip instructions assume you have the original water in the bag and you are slowly diluting it with the new water.