Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/11/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay,

Can you post the findings on the Giesman bulbs? Did you ever test the xm 10k's in 400w? I am considering switching 2 of my 250's over to 400, but the ppfd figures just don't make it worthwhile.

thanks!
Old 02/12/2007, 12:10 AM
El Jefe de WRS

skriz, did you look in the reef lighting info web page? All of that info is there.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

Also, this thread is supposed to be about Sanjay's new tank. If you have lighting related questions, maybe you should post them in the Lighting website updates thread stuck at the top of this forum.
Old 02/12/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
F&S seems unable to help you. You might try here and be able to find someone locally.

http://www.aquavets.com/

A few days ago this site was referenced. I had a pressing question about a dying fish several months ago and emailed 6 or 7 vets on the list in our state. Not one response... I was a little disappointed... Has anyone else had a better experience?

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Just curious.
Geoff
Old 02/12/2007, 01:46 AM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by gws294
A few days ago this site was referenced. I had a pressing question about a dying fish several months ago and emailed 6 or 7 vets on the list in our state. Not one response... I was a little disappointed... Has anyone else had a better experience?

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Just curious.
Geoff
I've never had to use them but one of the Vets on the list is right down the street from me.

Kind of rhetorical but as a Prosthodontist, you've studied many years for your specialty, how many free consultations do you do by email?

Just curious
Old 02/12/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Well, I am back home after a really nice weekend in Denver area, and speaking at thier mini conference.

What a great bunch of people !! They really have some awesome reefs there, wish I had more time to see more of them.

Came home with a bunch of nice frags ;-)

Will post some pics once I have them mounted. Right now they are sitting in the overflow box.

sanjay.
Old 02/12/2007, 02:23 PM
Moved back in!

Sanjay,

...and what a great conference it was! I am still trying to "digest" all the info I collected from the presentations by Jake, Mitch and yourself.

I missed you guys yesterday...wish you had time to stop by. Definitely next time!

It was great to meet you,

Luis
Old 02/12/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/12/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

oops! I hate that!

hahnmeister - I only posted about the geisman lamps because Sanjay mentioned it in this thread. I had just read this entire thread (both sections) and didn't even think about the lighting update thread. Looks like I have a LOT more reading to do.

Didn't mean to ruin the flow of your thread Sanjay.
Old 02/13/2007, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Ok.. here are just a few pics of the corals I got from visit to Denver last weekend.

Some of the zooanthids...

I always wanted to find out what the big deal is with these purple people eaters... I think some of the other ones I got are much nicer than these. No idea what the others are being called by the fancy names. They just seemed to have the sparkling personality of the owner ;-)

Now this green leather was the most impressive green I have ever seen in the leather corals. Just neon green !!! I was amazed at how much this coral is all over Denver. I had to get it.. so I could spread it out in Central PA.

This one is the pink polyp montipora cap. If the polyps start to extend out more it will look quite impressive.. I hope they do.

The other pics sucked so I will to try to take some more later.

sanjay.
Old 02/14/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Well, one of my dispar anthias went carpet surfing today. Found him dead on the floor. there were 2 of them squabbling quite a bit lately.. it might have been morphing into a male and got into it with the other male... I guess even a 500g tank was not enough for both of them

Oh well.. I may have start looking for more anthias. Wonder if I can mix dispars with bartletts ? or I would be flirting with disaster there.

sanjay.
Old 02/14/2007, 08:57 PM

bummer Sanjay. That's happened a couple times to me and I always get upset. Especially when one of my Golden Rhomboid wrasses did a fishstick. The two had been fighting so I moved one to a different tank, and the one in QT still jumped.
Old 02/14/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Sanjay,

Go ahead and add more anthias. I had dispars, bartletts, smithvanzis, and evansis, all mixed in together. You will always have one as a top dog (male). But, it's nice to see such a mix.
Old 02/14/2007, 10:02 PM
El Jefe de WRS

How about sunburst anthias? I was thinking about a group of them for my new tank.
Old 02/14/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Sunburst Anthias are solitary fish they do not form shoals. People have tried in the past; they wound up with one on each side of their aquarium. They do best one to a tank.
Old 02/15/2007, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

PPE's look dull compared to the 'purple death' palys. never did see the big deal with them
Old 02/15/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

I don't see the big deal with many of these "named to extract more money" corals with pictures taken with macro lenses at extreme closeup. That is not how I usually look at my corals

If I don't see the color standing 2 ft away, then for all practical purposes that color does not not mean much to me. Some corals in my tank are almost 3 ft from the front glass !!!

sanjay.
Old 02/15/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Another strong factor in looking at pictures is color balance. No camera film or digital has the perfect color balance to what an individuals eye sees. How often are comercial photos run through various software programs to increase color, increase contrast, or even shift colors?

I have seen some pictures of individuals selling bright green and red leathers. However when I saw these corals in person they basicly looked brown with just a little green or pink tint that you would notice if they were not next to each other.

No all photos are not modified to look super but a large percentage of the comercial ones are simply edited to help sell the product and get the maximium price for the product. They can always say your lighting is different if you complain about the color.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
I don't see the big deal with many of these "named to extract more money" corals with pictures taken with macro lenses at extreme closeup. That is not how I usually look at my corals

If I don't see the color standing 2 ft away, then for all practical purposes that color does not not mean much to me. Some corals in my tank are almost 3 ft from the front glass !!!

sanjay.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I am with you on that Sanjay!
Old 02/15/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Ok, a treat for you picture lovers.. I was playing with the camera today.. trying to improve my picture skills.

Rainbow Monti

Superman Monti
Old 02/15/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Some more

Old 02/16/2007, 12:57 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Sanjay, what is that second to last coral you posted... the red w/ green polyps? I have some of that, but never knew what to call it... red bonsai maybe?
Old 02/16/2007, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Sanjay, what is that second to last coral you posted... the red w/ green polyps? I have some of that, but never knew what to call it... red bonsai maybe?
Red ? That coral is a dark shade of brown with bright green polyps. The contrast is what makes it very striking.

Its been going around the trade as montipora hispida (at least that is what Paletta called it when he gave me a frag several years ago).

sanjay.
Old 02/16/2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Sanjay,

the colors look good and more importantly the corals look very healthy.

I have been trying to shoot coral pictures in manual mode with a high f stop to maximize depth of field and been playing with the lighting because it seems that the colors are off otherwise.

Some of those monti's look good, instead of using zoos in my new tank I am thinking of using encrusting monti's as they are not as invasive.

When you come back we will visit some other tanks and get you some more frags to take home. Although not sure where you will put them. :-)

Kip
Old 02/16/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay,

Looking good - my superman frag is famous now

just for your history, I can trace the superman frag back to COPPS

Here is an older shot of my colony from last fall. Started as size of thumbnail. Now close to 3x4. You got the 1st cut off of it.

and info. from copps on the history of where he got his frag from.

Quote:
There's an excellent thread I bumped on RC here, and I also found the original for sale thread on RC from almost five years ago here.

Kind of a neat read on the history of the most famous montipora that originated from one colony

Copps

Allegheny College 1990 Div. III National Champs - Football (I was starting Left OT)
Old 02/16/2007, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Craig:

All your frags are doing great. The others are a little difficult to take pics of given thier location, but they are doing well.

sanjay.