Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2006, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Eel food

Needing some advice. I have 3 eels- zebra, golden brazilian, and white ribbion- trying to come up with a great diet. Right now they eat mysis shrimp and tiger shrimp. I live in the mid-west so fresh food in out of the question. Does anyone have any suggestions on what other foods to give them? I have tried scallops. Turned their noses up really quick. So any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 06/15/2006, 12:18 PM
Moved On

I like to know of this golden brazilian eel for many names are changed around and I an idea of the eel you have but not totally sure because in how often species names are becoming more and more a mixer for just like the goldentail moray, you would find things like Golden Yellow Moray or yellowtail moray and Fire Coral Eel and none of those are the true name.

So maybe you can provide a location with picture of this golden brazilian eel?

Zebra morays feed on, xanthid crabs, shrimps and mollusks (shelled invertebrates) (crustaceans), as well as sea urchins, shrimp and snails.

The white ribbon eel feeds on small fishes and crustaceans, here is an article you can read and the Ribbon eel likes to be buried in the sand.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2004/fish.htm

Buddy ><{{{{">
Old 06/15/2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Im sorry. Im not much of a computer wiz, really new to this kinda of stuff. The sci. name for the brazilian is- gymnothorax miliaris. Really havent had alot of luck finding out much about them. The one I have is solid yellow with only 4 small black spots on his body. Im just wanting to give them all a really good diet and variety. Im a little concerned about the coloring of the brazilian. I was told that it is what I am feeding. The white ribbon was a gift. He got his bottom jaw half way bitten off but still eats mysis shrimp. He is a little special. Any kind of urchin will be okay. My zebra is a little lazy. He doesnt even come out when he is hungry. I went two weeks without food and never came out. Thank you for your reply.
Old 06/15/2006, 01:37 PM
Moved On

Quote:
gymnothorax miliaris
In that case your a goldentail there, it will feed just the same on fish and crustaceans.

http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/Summary/Spec...ry.php?id=1103

But the description you give is not the goldentail but also not all goldentails have the same color tone variations.

I hurried this reply to see if this is the type of eel you have.
Old 06/15/2006, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the rush. I went to the site and that is not what I have. But I am told that is the right name. I also found a pic on justrarefish.com. It is under banana eel.
Old 06/15/2006, 02:17 PM
Moved On

Ok, so it is the babana eel, isn`t it? In which case feed on the same for it grows 2' max

Also there be to many eels today with the same common or scientific name in which is why you can find nothing, you get up all the time the goldentail right? And then sometimes depending on how you type in your word search, you get as well the dwarf golden moray.
Old 06/15/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Frustrating as hell. That is why I came here. Thanks for all of your help and advice. I will keep you in mind if I run into any more problems with and of eels and future eels(dragon is on list)
Old 06/15/2006, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Yasha,

Head down to chiantown grocery near the River Market in downtown KC. They have all kind of frozen fish, squid, etc. My eels like shrimp, squid, cuttlefish heads, apple snail meat, calm, octopus and oyster. I got it all down there pretty cheap.
Old 06/15/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Really I had no idea that KC had anything like that. I am from Dallas TX. The River Market is it by Union Station? I have never really been down that way
Old 06/15/2006, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

River Market is about 2nd and Grand. Union Station is about 18th and Main, so they aren't really all that close.

The address is 202 Grand, KC MO if you want to map it out.

Go down there on Saturday mornings about 10:00ish, get some seafood and check out the market area... it is pretty neat. There is not too much traffic down there on Sat morning either.
Old 06/15/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks alot. I will be going down this weekend. Do they pack it in ice?
Old 06/15/2006, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

You can get fresh and you can get some stuff frozen. Just take it home, chop it all up and then freeze it in thin sheets so that you can break it off.

It is just for fish. It will be cold enough for a ride home.
Old 06/15/2006, 03:25 PM
Moved On

Also Yasha, you can type into search for fresh sea food markets in your area, you not find anything if you not let your fingers do the walking for you
Old 06/16/2006, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Yeah your discription sounds like a Banana/Golden Dwarf eel. I'm thinking of getting one of those. Beautiful animal, fish eatter I think. Post some pics if you get a chance to show then off.
Old 06/16/2006, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

When you find one you need to jump on it fast. I paid 350 for mine, thats with a good friend discount. I will post pics when I figure out how. Not a big computer person,until now. Learning as I go.