Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 03:27 AM
Premium Member

starphire vs acrylic

I'm looking to buy a brand new 120 and I find myself debating between the two. I was told acrylic might be a good choice because of Earthquakes, due to the fact that I live in Southern California.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

well acrylic scratches MUCH easier. But starphire will be more expensive but have similar clarity to acrylic with acyrlic edging out on top in terms of clarity.

I'd Personally go with a Starphire just so i wouldnt have to worry about scratches, but if you can be a saint about not scratching the tank ever. then def go acrylic.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Glass, glass,glass !!! My first tank was acrylic and I swore to myself I would never get another one. Just scrapping the coraline algae off presented to be a big headache which scratches. There are people on this forum who like their acrylic tanks and have minimal issues. It all comes down to personal choice.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

I have an acrylic and if I could do it again would do starphire. I have so many scratches on my tank from the cleaning magnet.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:17 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
acrylic is better but you have to know how to care for it, some people let the tank go for weeks and then use a razor blade to clean it.. you cant do that with acrylic.. and also sand is not your friend when you have an acrylic tank.. so again i went barebottom to further avoid scratches...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/16/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

you learn as you go...ive had a few acrylic tanks...you just become more careful when cleaning
Old 12/16/2007, 12:27 PM
TRC Leader

Another vote for glass! I love my 3 sided starphire tank.

Acrylic is safer, but it's only a matter of time before I would destroy it with scratches.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/16/2007, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Starphire is softer than regular glass and does scratch but not quite as easy as acrylic.

At least with acrylic you can buff out the scratches very well. Scratches in starphire they are permanent. Acrylic is lighter and stronger also.

Either one, it's best to use a credit card to remove the film and coraline.

My vote is for acrylic and I would do it again.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
acrylic is better but you have to know how to care for it, some people let the tank go for weeks and then use a razor blade to clean it.. you cant do that with acrylic.. and also sand is not your friend when you have an acrylic tank.. so again i went barebottom to further avoid scratches...
even if you know how to care or it, over the years you WILL have well meaning houseguests that do not. and even if that happens, it is impossible to avoid the microcsraches which will within a few years turn your tank hazy... don't believe me? take a look at your acrylic tank, then go to the LFS and look at one in the showroom
Old 12/16/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Go with glass. I have acrylic i wish i didnt.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I have had them both and my vote is for glass I have starphire now and wouldnt go back to reg glass.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

I went with Starfire even though I had my hesitations about it. I thought that glass tanks looked like older technology.

I couldn't have been more wrong. After owning an acrylic tank, I was impressed how the starfire looked. Anothe thing is that it doesn't bow and flex under the pressure of the water.

Starfire is worth the money.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:59 PM
It's Domo-kun

I have had both glass and acrylic. For my current tank, I chose acrylic for three primary reasons: safety, weight, and ability to drill. As for appearance, acrylic needs a bit more upkeep. Scratches are inevitable, but they can be removed. Those on the inside are far less noticeable since water fills them, obscuring the scratch. Outside scratches can be easily removed with a micromesh kit.

Ability to drill was fairly important to me, since my tank is somewhat of an project. I occasionally change plumbing, add or remove stuff, and being able to drill can help. Can't do that with glass.

I have the same advice as many others: consider your priorities. If long-term appearance is most important, go with glass. If these other factors weigh in, you may want acrylic.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

thanks everyone i really appreciate the insight!!
Old 12/16/2007, 06:06 PM
20 & Over Club

like a lot of people I've had both......I'd do reg glass over acrylic.

FWIW, Starphire is a brand name for low iron glass and its also IMO, the clearest of the LI glass made (I'm not in the loop as much anymore so things might be different) Make sure your getting Starphire if that's what your paying for.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfish
like a lot of people I've had both......I'd do reg glass over acrylic.
Ditto. While new acrylic may look better initially after any period of time a standard glass will look better then any acrylic (given the wear and tear), IMHO. I will be going LI glass of some type (preferably Starphire) on my next tank.