Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Tropic Marin salt?

Does anybody know what the difference between Pro-Reef and regular Tropic Marin salt is? Thanks in advance.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

less filling.... tastes great...

no, oh I remember:

more money... less magnesium
Old 01/09/2008, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

the Pro use Tropic marin Pro
the Amateur use Tropic marin

:-)

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

i believe most of ppl that use TMP switched to something else... at least i know Loc and Ying is not using that anymore, and i used TMP for 5 months, now i'm using Redsea pro which is alot cheaper and better quality
Old 01/09/2008, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

I think I am going to use my leftovers to kill my neighbors lawn,, the guy is a jerk
Old 01/09/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

I'm not using TM anymore either. Switched to Red Sea Pro too.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:02 AM
Just an Average Joe

In a nutshell:
Use the Pro version if you are running a calcium reactor
Use the regular version if you are not

The difference is in the blending for alk
Old 01/09/2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

im using pro right now with decent results. not too crazy about mg ~ 1050 and dkh ~ 8.

how much lower is the mg on regular? alk is easily adjusted but raising mg is a pita.

I was shopping around due to the price increase in tmp, but I don't want to make too drastic of a change. might give tm reg a try.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:43 PM
Just an Average Joe

the dkh on TM "Pro" version is purposely low to compensate for calcium reactors (which tend to raise alkalinity) but not a detriment if you don't have one....'tiss still in an acceptable range. The only drawback is that it is a waste a money; best to buy regular TM if you are not fighting high alkalinity issues.

The Magnesium measurement though doesn't sound right.....it usually measures around 1250 for the Pro
I would try another test kit for a second reading
Old 01/09/2008, 01:47 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Isn't it best to get a salt that already has the parameters where you would like them to be.

If you are changing water with new water that has lower alkalinity, you will eventually end up with water that has lower alkalinity. The calcium reactor when tuned should only compensate for the alkalinity that is used up on a daily basis?

I was an unhappy camper using the TMP. I tested TMP with Elos kit and found that magnesium was below par. With a salt being that expensive, I'd expect them to elevate mag level to 1350 even, which as I understand isn't detrimental to coral health.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scissorhand
[B]Isn't it best to get a salt that already has the parameters where you would like them to be.
now that is just crazy talk... of course you want to buy salt that you havce to spend 1/2 hour testing and fixing
Old 01/09/2008, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

After starting with instant ocean... and using about 5 other different salt mixes... I went back to IO.

Considering how much salt I use..IO is 1/2 of what TM is. And I really didnt see much of a differnence after using a 200 gal bucket.

Seachem -- chalky some sps hated it.

Oceanpure.. -- sps loved it softies hated it.

TM -- all corals seemed to like it.. but too expensive for my tastes.

IO - -all corals seem to like it. -- cheap.