Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/01/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Question how to get calupera out of my tank

I have a lot of calupera growing in my 12gal nano. How do get control of it before it takes over my hole tank? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 08/01/2007, 08:55 AM
Team RC Member

Get new rock. Seriously.

The ONLY other solution is to set up a somewhat large refugium, and for a 12 g nano, that's a bit extreme.

On the other hand, you've got the nano, and caulerpa growing, and some live rock: you could use IT for the refugium, do nothing to it, move your specimens over to a connected 20g tank with clean live rock, and expand....

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Not appropriate for a nano, but the only solution that worked for me was a foxface. Normal tangs wouldn't cut it for the type I had. My rock looks perfectly clean but I know it is still lurking, hiding, waiting, for the demise of my foxface..... The marine equivalent of Kudzu.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:35 AM
Team RC Member

Yep, that's a problem: the stuff is toxic except to a handful of fishes in the tang and rabbitfish families, the tripneustes gracillis urchin, one of the larger urchins, and even survives rock cooking---it did on my rock. It roots deep into crevices, and can start reappearing in any return favorable conditions. It's not really good for a refugium, unless you have a good fine screen between refugium and tank, because any little fragment of it that gets into your display tank is going to start it all over again if it ever gets a root down. I've fought it for two years, and the presence of a large, highly competitive refugium is the only thing that's seriously checked it.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

I pulled it out manually and then got a fox face. He has kept it in check and it hasn't reappeared.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:42 AM
Team RC Member

And with a 12g nano, there's absolutely no fish and no invert that eats the stuff. It has to be manual removal and restriction of fertilizer [keeping nitrates and phosphates as close to 0 as possible---via skimming [which a lot of nanos don't have] and a refugium, [which is larger than most nanos.] This tank has a major problem, and the only honest fix is to pull the rock.

Old 08/01/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Can I put a foxface in a 12gal nano
Old 08/01/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

And what about a nubibranches? And if yes what kind?will they do well in a 12gal nano?
Old 08/01/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

No. IMO a small one would be ok for 55 to start out. I would say a 75 or bigger.

Quote:
Originally posted by clownfish45
Can I put a foxface in a 12gal nano