Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2006, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

pump question ???

I just finished filling my new 180 and plugged in the pump (reeflo Dart) and nothing happened.... any ideas? I was really hoping to start getting some water moving tonight!
Old 02/19/2006, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Did you prime it?
Old 02/19/2006, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

I got it working, just had a took a bit of time to prime.
Old 02/19/2006, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

good deal!
Old 02/19/2006, 10:11 PM
Anemone Rancher

Cool! You guys work fast!

Does the pump at least hum? If not, you may wnat to remove the volute (the cover over the "wet" end) and verify that the impeller rotates.

The Dart isn't a pressure-rated pump so it isn't ideal for pumping against head pressure (but great for a closed loop). It should, though, still be moving some water up four feet or so.

My first guess would be that the pump isn't primed. If it is dry, it won't "suck" water in. The ReeFlo pumps do not self prime though they usually start up with the intake fully submerged and at the same height as the pump. Can you verify there's no air in the pump...maybe pour some water down from the output line.

The return bulkhead on that sump was also 1" if I recall. Did you enlarge or replace it...the Dart really want that 2" of unrestricted supply. That could possibly cause cavitation which would reduce or possibly eliminate flow.
Old 02/19/2006, 10:12 PM
Anemone Rancher

Whoops...slow typing.
Old 02/20/2006, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

we did increase it to a 2". It is all up and running. We put T5's in the hood. It looks great! You will have to come by and check it out when you are in the area! I will be starting to transfer rock and livestock sometime within in the next few days, provided all goes well. FYI - also finished painting the kitchen and family room and finished the tile around the fireplace, yes it has been a busy week!

Initially the Dart made almost no sound at all, but tonight it has started to make a bit of a rattle. Hmmmm... I have no idea what is causing that but I liked it better before it started!
Old 02/21/2006, 12:07 AM
Anemone Rancher

Wow! I wish I could get any one of those projects done in a week, let alone all of them.

Yeah, the Dart really should silent from anything more than a foot or so away. Hmmmm is right. Is it connected with flex or rigid pipe? Is there any vibration padding under it? I wonder if it is cavitating. Do you have ball valves on the output lines? If so, try closing them just a tiny bit to see if the sound goes away.

By the way...Keesh LOVES the new cookies. I stopped by the shop (on Sunday) but at least I know where it is now.
Old 02/21/2006, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Rigid - PVC. Also noticed a small leak. Sooooo removed the pump and low and behold......... a small piece of plastic tubing in the pump! reconnected, started up......... ahhhhh nothing but a low hummmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02/21/2006, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

so glad Keesh liked the cookies!