Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:13 PM
addicted member

Genx pump problem

about 3 months ago i set up my 210g aga and purchased the genx gx-8500 pump as my return, well today while doing a water change i noticed when i picked up the pump from the sump that alot of orange fluid came out the back of the pump so after removing the plastic cover from the back i found what looks to be a metal plate that has rust building on it. It looks as if the plate was suppose to be completly submerged in the epoxy but was not aligned right. has anyone else had this problem?

here are some pics

tia john

Last edited by jcato; 01/05/2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Wow.. Get a poly filter running, It will attract all that crap. Carbon and water changes also.

If the pump is under warranty, contact them and tell them of all the lost coral that this caused.

I've had screws rust on pumps but nothing like that.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:37 PM
addicted member

actiualy i have a couple of corals that dont look good which is why i was doing a water change. maybe someone else will respond on how the rust would affect the corals.

i have contacted PCI and im waitng for a response but after some research i have found this to be a problem that has been around since 2005 wich in that post they (PCI) said they where making improvement to there pumps but as you can see the same thing that happend here in 2008. i will wait for the company's decision on what they are gonna do before i write them off.

here is the thread from 2005, take a look at the first pic in the post.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=genx+8500

tia john
Old 01/05/2008, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

good luck. i've had product problems with them in the past and have never been able to talk to a human or get an email response. they've already written you off, i'd suggest doing the same.

i'd run out and replace that pump immediately, i hope it's not back in your tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Do a search I think there is an old thread on same issue...
Old 01/07/2008, 03:53 PM
addicted member

anyone know how the rust will effect the corals? i stopped using the pump and have did 3 30g water changes but still have a couple corals that dont look good(both are softies).

john
Old 01/07/2008, 04:43 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

I wouldn't worry about the rust, it's just iron oxide (what Phosban is made of). If there's exposed copper wire inside there, you might be in for some trouble. It couldn't hurt to run some PolyFilter; look for bluish-green discoloration on the filter, that's indicative of copper.

PCX pumps are the cheapest things out there... It's true that you get what you pay for. Ocean Runner and Eheim pumps are great, IME.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:00 PM
Who dat?

A new one opened up.

Maybe they changed something or maybe yours is defective.

The PCI GX pumps are cheap (inexpensive if you prefer) and as things cost less quality is usually the thing that is sacrificed. They are certainly not the worst or the cheapest pumps out but as hyperfocal stated the Eheims are head and shoulders above the PCI GX pumps. Aqua Medic Ocean Runners are also better but they have their fair share of issues as well.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:21 PM
a Buffer fish

yep I have 4 of theese crappy loud gen-x pumps. All of which are rusted from the back.

Im sticking to external pumps.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:27 PM
addicted member

dave,
thanks for the response and thanks for taking care of this yourself, i also agree that there are alot worst pumps out there than this. this pump moves alot of water with no noticable heat in the tank and is alot quiter than the mag 12 and mag 18 i have had in the past. ill be in town tomorrow to exchange the pump.

thanks john
Old 01/07/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Are the gen x 4100 on the the Euro reef skimmers okay?

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/07/2008, 05:37 PM
addicted member

not sure as the last euroreef skimmer i had was powered by the sedra pump.

john
Old 01/07/2008, 05:38 PM
15 & Over Club

I had the same thing happen to one of their pumps.
just added it to the do not buy list.

Don't buy Rio, hydor, aquarium system heaters, genx submersable, almost everything by coralife, and dolphin pumps because I had aluminum housing type shatter that was never run dry.