Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 02/01/2005, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Attaching Xenia frags to rock

I have two xenia colonies that I want to frag. I would like to hear the different ways you attach the frags to rock rubble, shells, etc.
Old 02/01/2005, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

I have used a small rubber band around the stalk and the rock on larger peices. For smaller frags (or bigger ones) I like to use 2-4 lb fishing line, thread it through a small needle, stick it through the stalk, around the rock, and make a knot. When it has attached to the rock you can snip the line or leave it there. Good luck!
Jason
Old 02/02/2005, 10:19 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Another idea: Before you cut them, lean a piece of rubble up against the Xenia. It usually attaches to anything it is touching, especially if the new rock is above the original one it is attached to.

Sometimes Xenia is a royal PITA to handle as it seems to be somewhat the consistency of raw eggwhites, especially when it gets ticked off.

Another idea: this is what I used to do. I used to cut tops off of Xenias and let the tops settle onto a small gravelbed in low flow. They alway landed upside down, but I just left them alone and after like 2 days, they had inverted their polyps and attached to the gravel. THEN I superglued the gravel to snailshells, rubble, etc
Once again minimizing any handling of the Xenia.
Old 02/02/2005, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice. I wrapped netting around the two I cut already and attached to a small piece of rock (saw this on GARF's website). Sounds like Frick's idea may be simpler, although it will involve a little more waiting.
Old 02/04/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

I just cut mine and pinch the base between some lava-rock chunks, and by the next day the Xenia should attach no problem.
Old 02/07/2005, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Toothpick and two rubber bands on either side is really quick and easy for positioning the xenia to where you want it, or some people shove them into a halimeda patch and then rip off the halimeda after it attaches for superglue.
Old 02/08/2005, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I attached mine by using the fishing line technique described above. It worked perfectly. Before that I tried putting a rubberband around the base, but the Xenia always turned on it's side.
Old 02/09/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I cut off the tips of the xenia and let them settle into a clear container of rubble. This container is in a low flow area of the tank or sump. The xenia will attatch and then you simply place the new pieces whereever you want by glueing the rubble wherever you want it.
Old 02/11/2005, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I found an excellent alternative to the fishing line method: absorbable sutures I got 120 of them off Ebay for $12. They're sterile right out of the packaging, there's already a very sharp needle on the end of the line, and if some of the line happens to float away in the tank you don't have to worry; it'll be dissolved within a couple of weeks.
Old 02/15/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

I have had great success by "drying" the xenia cuttings on paper towel and the attaching with gel superglue. I do leave the cuttings in a bucket of tank water for a few hours to let them expand some prior to drying and glueing.
Old 03/04/2005, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I always rubber band them, they attach quickly and since they always stretch their polyps toward the light they don't stay sideways. You can cut the rubber band off once the xenia has attached. I've tried leaning another piece of rock against the xenia but it always just walks from one rock to another instead of spreading.
Old 03/04/2005, 02:06 AM
Tusken Reefer

Rubberband man here I've also had luck in the past with toothpicks.
Old 03/13/2005, 02:57 PM
Tusken Reefer

...and 9 days later (actually 7) it is attached with a death grip force. Rubberband removed.
Old 03/14/2005, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

I usually place them on a rock somwhere with Little to no flow and they attach next day.
Old 03/22/2005, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

I place a small piece of rock next to a long stem...seems like they usually elongate their stem when they're "looking" for a new place to attach. It eventually leans up against the rock then attaches itself, then I get a scalpel and cut it and give away the frag to a friend...
Old 04/15/2005, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I don't even cut mine... I just place another smaller size rock next to them not just touching but in it's way and it attaches and either splits on it's own or I move the new rock piece further and further away till it decides splitting would but less difficult than holding onto 2 rocks