Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/10/2005, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

PH drop

My PH has been riding a little low in my tank. Typically it is around 7.95 to 8.05. Everything has been healthy at this point, but this morning I awoke and the PH is reading 7.65. I am not completely sure what happen. We did loose power last night for about 30 minutes but other then that I am clueless.

Tank is a 240 penisula with a LOT of flow. Tank also incorporates a wavebox and an oceans motion 4 way with a blueline 70 pump powing it.

Total Water Volume is 380 gallons
Temp ranges from 81-83
Typical PH is 8.00
NH3 =0
N2 = 0
PO3 = 0
Nitrates < 1 ppm
ALk = 11 DHK
Cal = 420

Sump is a 150 rubbermaid half filled with Macro.

Two Side notes.

I changed my Rowaphos / Carbon fluidized bead media yesterday morning.

Checked Probe calibration. In fact used two different probes and two New buffer solutions.

Everything in the Tank looks healthy and not stressed.
Old 04/10/2005, 08:02 AM
Reef Chemist

The pH drop may be due to the release of organics into the water by a stressed organism during the power failure. These organics will decay,producing CO2 and lowering pH. It may also simply be due to excess CO2 buildup as the aeration reduced the CO2 export.

If it is either of these, the pH should be back to normal in a day or so.

It is also possible that the power failure altered the calibration of the pH meter, so you might check that.

In general, this article describes how to deal with low pH:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm
Old 04/10/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Randy. I recalibrated the Ph meters just to make sure. That was my first thought this morning. The calibration was fine.

PH is on its way up. When my sump fan kicked on it started to rise and is now about 7.77. I am amazed at how well the fan drives out CO2.

I also thought that maybe something got stressed but this morning everything looks fine.

I have a Kalk Reactor in the works. I guess I will finish it today.

Thanks for the article link. I already have it marked and have read through it a few times.

Thanks again

R
Old 04/10/2005, 12:44 PM
Reef Chemist

It sounds like things are back on track.

You're welcome and happy reefing.
Old 04/10/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Ron,

When I finished the wall in the room that my reef lives in, I noticed that the pH ran low (8.0) for several weeks. I couldn't figure it out. Everything tested normal. Finally, we were painting one day and had the house all opened up and much to my surprise, the pH was back up around 8.3. I put a fan directly on the sump and within two days it was averaging 8.45! Just as a test, I shut down my Calk reactor for a few days and just topped off with RO... the pH stayed at 8.45. Now I run a fan 24x7 even during the summer.

Now I guess we know why the wind always blows at sea

Tom Siler
Columbus, OH
Old 04/11/2005, 05:51 AM
Reef Chemist

and had the house all opened up and much to my surprise, the pH was back up around 8.3. I put a fan directly on the sump and within two days it was averaging 8.45!

The magic of CO2!

Thanks for the info.
Old 04/11/2005, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. If I think back my PH did drop about a point when I moved my Sump into my Basement. Since the weather is much nicer now here in the midwest and the temps are going up looks like the fan will run none stop.

Now I need to figure out the Temp rise problem. I am getting about 2 degress C rise during the day 81-83. I think I am going to need a few more fans.

R
Old 04/11/2005, 04:08 PM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

FWIW, I use cold tap water run through plastic tubing in my sump to cool my tank in the summer.

Good luck and happy reefing.
Old 04/11/2005, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

I thought about that but I have about 400 gallons to cool. The amount of water waste would be pretty bad.

I am going to add more fans and prehaps make a DIY chiller with a huge air conditioner. I am using a very small Pacific coast chiller now but it is like trying to cool the ocean.

With the addition of fans and a Kalk reactor attached to my makeup water is it possible to add to much kalk? I am sure it is. I have a decent load of SPS mixed with some LPS. I doubt they will take up the load.
Old 04/11/2005, 06:34 PM
Reef Chemist

I run the warmed water out to the yard to water plants.

With the addition of fans and a Kalk reactor attached to my makeup water is it possible to add to much kalk?

I'd monitor that the pH does not get too high.
Old 04/11/2005, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Randy.

RO/DI waste water is already plumbed to go to the outside plants

R
Old 04/11/2005, 08:22 PM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

Good luck.