Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 04/01/2005, 05:11 PM
Novice Expert

Fragging LARGE Corals

I have a very large F. speciosa that I'm attempting to frag into several pieces. It is oval shaped, with one end at approx 1"+ thick, and tapers to over 3"+ on the other end. The "skeleton" is comprised of many things, the actual coral skeleton, rocks, mollusk shells, etc. I had a very hard time geting through the thin end with a dremel, and wanted some suggestions on what I could try using next. I have thought about chisel/hammer, but feaf it would be too destructive. I have also thought about a thin cable saw.

Any ideas, especially from anyone that has fragged a large, thick coral such as this?

Marc
Old 04/03/2005, 10:57 AM
Moved On

you can use a bandsaw with a diamond coated bit like the $100 one from harbor frieght but you will have issues with the blade binding due to the hard substrate it is attached to. You can get around this by lubricating the cut with tank water often.

That being said, here's what I'd do:

Go to home depot and get one of those flat, chisel with a spike in the middle shaped drill bits, I think they are for drilling big holes in wood. The spike keeps the blade from skipping and mangling your favia. You just need to put it on the cement of your garage and chisel it with the drill bit and a small sledge or framing hammer. Don't be afraid, I have seen it done with lords and no bad effects, the half heads were even out the same night!
Old 04/03/2005, 11:09 AM
Novice Expert

bugsy-

I'll see what I can do. Th coral is 12" x 10" and several inches thick. I need to break it into 5 pieces.
Old 04/03/2005, 11:56 AM
Moved On

The drill bit trick works like a charm, especially on old calcium skeletons like you find many of these types of lps on. Did you get that piece from reefer madness? That was a magestic piece!
Old 04/03/2005, 05:28 PM
Novice Expert

Ya, it was the one at RM. The problem is that the skeleton is 1+ inches thick on one end, and tapers to over 3 inches thick on the other. It also has all sorts of stuff (rocks, mollusks, etc) within it and it isn't just the old skeleton.

I'm going to try scoring it on both sides with a fine dremel blade, and then use your trick in an attempt to split it.
Old 04/04/2005, 03:55 AM
Moved On

I agree, go all the way around and try to create a path for the break. Go as deep as you possibly can all around. Then try the drill bit trick. The drill bit will bore into calcium pretty well, much better than a chisel due to the spike leading point.

It's a shame to hear that colony is getting chopped, it belongs in a 1000 gallon show tank or something, maybe I should have bought it and granted a pardon to Tracy Grey's system hehe
Old 04/04/2005, 10:44 AM
Novice Expert

bugsy-

I agree that it is somewhat of a shame that it is getting pieced out. But, it isn't being pieced for resale. It's going into 6 healthy tanks where they will be enjoyed for years to come.
Old 04/09/2005, 05:52 AM
Moved On

Hey, I've parted a colony or two in my day, how did it work out for you?
Old 04/09/2005, 06:19 AM
Novice Expert

Worked fine. I scored it with the Dremel on both sides and then whacked it using the wood bit and it was an almost perfect cut.

So far we have taken 2 of the required six pieces from it. Figured we would do it slowly and minimize stress. We have a large frag swap coming Apr 16 and will split it four ways there, sort of as a demo.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04/09/2005, 04:59 PM
Moved On

right on!