Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

10k lighting

Has anyone run, or is running at the moment, XM 10k (or something comparable) without actinic/blue supplements? I am going to be setting up a frag tank and would like to use a 10k bulb (most likely XM 10k DE on an icecap ballast) for growth but am curious if there is much color loss and if supplemental lighting is suggested. I guess I could just wait and monitor to see if I need to supplement but I am interested in people's experiences with 10k bulbs. Thanks!
Old 10/29/2007, 12:24 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

It will be great for growth and coloration won't be bad, it just won't be as good as say.... a 14k or 20k. From my experience I just didn't like the way the 10k's made the water look... it almost looked like a 'pee' color. I know that's gross but it's true. I don't remember what brand I had, it's been a couple years back but if the actinics weren't on the tank just looked ugly.

If you haven't bought the light fixture yet you might want to look into T5's I've recently added them to one of my frag tanks and the coloration and growth are both very similar to MH.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

the xm10k's look fine without supplemental lighting, you wont loose any color but it wont be as vibrante as with actinics. With the XM 10k's the water will be a whitish blue, not like most other 10k's which are a yellow, or "pee" color...lol...i would deff recommend them for growth, i know a few people who use them on there main tanks with supplemental lighting and i am in the process of converting from t-5 to MH's with 10k's and VHO's.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Great - that is just what I wanted to hear! It is going to be in a rubbermaid stock tank so growth and the color of the corals is the ultimate goal (isn't it always). But I won't be looking at the color of the water so even if it is "pee color" I won't mind As long as the coral looks good.

I am thinking that MH will actually be more cost effective than going with T5's especially if I don't need the supplements. With the tank being about 30" front to back that would be a lot of bulbs to cover. My plan is to go with a lumenarc (full size) reflector and then once I outgrow it's spread on the tank get a light mover to cover the rest of the length instead of getting an additional MH. One bulb to replace and only one bulb to run on the electric bill. I hope my thinking is sound.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

im not sure about the electric bil being cheeper...lol...but it will be a less expesive inital cost. but i think it would work fine for your application. even with the one MH, yous should be able to grow out some softies or less light demanding LPS at the outer edges of the MH's reach.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

aquagurl, the Lumennarc full size covers 30" width very well. you basically can place corals any where in the tank. good choice. I'm using two as well.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Yes initial cost will be cheaper. The electric bill isn't a big deciding factor, more the initial cost, but when the time comes if I can run a light mover for the initial cost of $200 and only 5 watts instead of another 250w it might make a little difference...every little bit helps . So when it is time for more light I think the initial cost and running cost win when it comes to MH...for me anyway. The initial cost and being able to only use one lamp on +4 ft of tank will at least offset the other cube tank I am starting with the 250w halide over it - lol.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

It's good to know it has the coverage I am hoping for. That is the reason I am going with the lumenarcs. Since this will be tank #4 I am hoping to keep it as simple as possible. Like I mentioned if I can run one 10k bulb, get good growth and keep color that is what I am hoping for. I wanted to get a feel for other people's experiences to make sure I am not being too optimistic.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:46 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

aquagurl...... will you marry me...?

lol... sounds like you've got your bases covered! Gonna be a real nice setup!
Old 10/29/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

lol - I have seen a picture of your other half in your thread You have an awesome setup in your sun room rustybucket.

And thanks for the encouragement! I hope it will be successful. I would really like to get some nice frags growing for trade and such. I think part of what I am looking forward to setting this system up is no plumbing! I didn't always hate plumbing but for some reason it seriously hates me