Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Smy168,

Thank you for your post. You have totally reset the tone.

Firerock,
I e-mailed Ike Elgenbrode at Ike@current-usa.com
I received a response the very next morning. I believe DirkG called Current-USA and he may have the phone number.
Old 01/09/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone else tried to contact them? I called last week Friday, and dropped an email this morning....still no response as of yet.

FYI customer service # is 760 727 7011
Old 01/10/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

OK....i got this diagram to correct the issue from John at ichthythings.com. Really easy and seems to have corrected the issue for me.
Use at your own risk......

Old 01/10/2006, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

thanks Saliki, this is what this forum is all about!
Old 01/10/2006, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Are they UL listed/approved?
I hope so I can't stress that enough with all of the electrical products we use in our homes! And not just because I work for em'
Old 01/11/2006, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saliki
^^^
Again, if both plugs are plugged in to a powerstrip, what risk does someone truly face....or does anyone even care to speculate?

That is not the point. The point is the cord should not be hot when it is unplugged. The risk can to harmful for a child or even death.
Old 01/11/2006, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

I provided a number to call, as well as a solution to the issue....not sure what else you want?
Old 01/11/2006, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

really HappyClam, what is it that you're looking for? there are threads upon threads about this issue and it's either being resolved by Current USA or members of this forum...what is it that you want? The point has been made and most experienced reef keepers on this forum have seen things and products go wrong in the past, you get through it and move on, is there something you would like to say that you feel hasn't been said? If not, let's move on already...

peace
Old 01/11/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjoz
Freed,
The box says "Internal UL listed Electronic Ballast".

Answered
Old 01/11/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

FYI:

http://www.current-usa.com/products/safetyrecall.html

Some are being recalled. Kudos to Current for stepping up and doing a recall.
Old 01/11/2006, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

They stand by their product and that's good to know!
Old 01/12/2006, 12:12 AM
Who dat?

Exchange or repair kit.

So if you have one set up and don't want to take it down you can get the repair kit.

I just checked a half dozen of them tonight and they were all OK even though they have no serial number.
Old 01/12/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

They called me last night. I told them how I corrected the wires and they said that was fine and correct.....shouldnt burn my house down=P
Old 01/12/2006, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

I think Current just earned more customers than they lost with this move. Sent an email to Ike last night commending their efforts. I think it's more important that they have the right infrastructure in place to isolate the specific models that have problems more than just doing a recall. Knowing a company is built the right way from top to bottom make me more comfortable buying from them.

Good job doing the right thing.
Old 01/12/2006, 10:52 PM
Save me Jebus

Quote:
Originally posted by armagedon48
looks like an effective tazer or stun gun.. be careful, buy a dog, zap it to death then sue for a few million dollars because their poor wireing killed your best friend. just joking.

but do be careful

ROFLMAO
Old 01/14/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Ike from Current e-mailed me yesterday saying that a repair kit was sent out to my house. Sweet! I'm excited. Will this mean I can finally use regular timers?
Old 01/14/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

jap1,
Great news, because that means mine should be here soon as well. I believe I contacted Ike on the 5th and you did on the 6th. I called my retailer today to see about a replacement, but he did not have any new ones in stock yet. I will use the repair kit instead once it arrives. If, however my LFS calls to say he has a replacement tank before the repair kit comes from Ike as promised, I will have to do that instead. Keep us posted when you get yours.
Old 01/15/2006, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smy168
really HappyClam, what is it that you're looking for? there are threads upon threads about this issue and it's either being resolved by Current USA or members of this forum...what is it that you want? The point has been made and most experienced reef keepers on this forum have seen things and products go wrong in the past, you get through it and move on, is there something you would like to say that you feel hasn't been said? If not, let's move on already...

peace
What I really want? It already happened. The recall.
Old 01/15/2006, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I'd just like to say that Ike and current have been fantastic with me. I bought mine just before christmas(no serial number). I bought a fission skimmer from a local fish store here in the bay area with broken elbows and no instructions or suction cups. They have sent me everything I've needed. Very responsive. I'd buy another aquapod in a minute.
Old 01/20/2006, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone gotten a replacement Aquapod yet?
Just wondered if the replacement/good tanks are coming out very fast?
I did get an e-mail from Ike at Current USA regarding the recall and what I needed to do to get a replacemnet or a repair kit. I'm going for the replacement tank instead of the repair kit. My LFS has not gotten any tanks in yet, but it really hasn't been that long.

Jap1
Did you get your kit yet?
Old 01/21/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I spoke to Ike this week. And he also offered me a replacement tank or a repair kit.

Because I had already started cycling the tank, I thought this entire thing would be a hassle. But after viewing the electronic schematics previously posted, I figured it was much easier to repair. My only concern is that I don't drop any of the tiny screws whle trying to get to the wiring. I am planning on putting plastic wrap on the tank so they don't fall in.

I also asked Ike about the dangers of getting shocked. As long as all of the power cords are plugged in and not exposed there is no danger. Of course unplug everything before making the repair.

This is my first Marine Tank and I am looking forward to getting it all set up.

I have had the tank for over a two months and have been waiting on a stand. I have made a trip to the Monterey Bay aquarium in the meantime and am dying to start a mini reef.
Old 02/09/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

PuppPR, calling PuppyPR...

HOW did you get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????

(anybody???)

Craig
Old 02/10/2006, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 50cal
PuppPR, calling PuppyPR...

HOW did you get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????

(anybody???)

Craig
I never took the lid off....i did the repairs with it open. I jsut leaned the lid up against a wall so I didnt snap it off from the pressure of correcting the wiring issue.
HTH
Old 02/10/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Anybody know HOW to get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????
Old 02/10/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone received their replacement tank yet? I'm calling my LFS in the morning and hoping to hear that they have mine in. I'm getting quite anxious to move on along.