Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/04/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Should I get an anemone?

Hello, I just joined community here. My question has probably been beat to death before but if someone is willing to help a rookie I would appreciate it. I have a 37g with 130 pc, 30# lr, remora skimmer,. The tank so far has growing: xenia, medium toad leather mushroom, small colt, trachpyl brain coral, small branched frogspawn and two small ocellaris. I would really like to get an anemone for my clowns but the advice from all stores is "no". Reasons given are my tank is too small; anemone will outgrow, anemone will move and likely harm other corals, and anemone produce lots of waste requiring frquent water changes in the small tank. My tank is 30"L x 22"H. I tried the frogspawn as an alternative but they show no interest so far. My clowns are likely captive bred and don't know what they are missing so that's good. I know they don't require the host, but call me a sapp they seem bored. Carpets are evidently preferred but I'm told get too big. Perhaps a sand dwelling host, or one that remains small may work? Should I just accept what I'm being told or do I have hope of success if I add an anemone?
Old 07/04/2006, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I think a BTA would do fine in a 37g, how ever the "anemone will move and likely harm other corals" So if you want to risk it....
Old 07/04/2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

You dont have enough lighting for a carpet so dont even try that one. I would suggest BTA also. I only have 260 watts on my 90 and he loves it. Also, you could always try to induce a split by the anemone if it got to big even though thats easier said than done.
Old 07/04/2006, 11:11 AM
Here comes the Gators

I would get a small BTA, but be ready because if it wonders into your corals, it will win the war.

Like above mentioned, a carpet would need more light.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!