Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Propagated Corals & Tank Raised Livestock Selling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2003, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

FS/ft: 15" Sebae Anemone in MN

I need to sell my big Sebae anemone(H. Malu) that I've had for about 10 months now. I picked it up at a LFS and it was only 2" and bleached, since then it has quickly recovered and grown quickly. This is partially due to the clowns, which feed it a little every day. The anemone has a healthy zooxanthellae population with no blotchiness, and vibrant purple tips.

I'd like to get $75, but will take $ offers or trades. I would prefer to sell, but will take offers on colorful Lobophyllia, Blastomussa, Ricordia, orange/pink Montipora Dig. and Cap., or premium Zoanthids.

Anybody interested??
I live in Minnesota and my name is Joe.
Old 11/27/2003, 02:23 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Can you post a pic or e-mail me some pics of the critter? Thanks, Freed
Old 11/27/2003, 03:57 AM
Moved On

here is a pic
*this picture was taken maybe 5min after actnics were turned on*
Old 12/02/2003, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

*bump*
Old 12/03/2003, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Hey Hydro Im Interested do you by chance have any other corals you wanna sell? thanks PM me Adam
Old 12/03/2003, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Holy christ...that thing is massive!! I would have been interested if it were about half that size. But that thing is too much for me!
Old 12/03/2003, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

How about store credit at your LFS?
Old 12/03/2003, 05:58 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Soltaker
How about store credit at your LFS?
not a LFS close that has a tank big enough to hold this guy...lol!
Old 12/03/2003, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

that's understandable

I see that the clowns feed it a little, but do you do any kind of direct feeding? And if so, what do ya feed it?
Old 12/04/2003, 03:17 AM
Premium Member

Ha That's not a sebae anemone Or at least it's not a H. malu, which is what most people call a sebae anemone.
Old 12/04/2003, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

is it a condy!? They will get that big fast.
Old 12/04/2003, 01:46 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by BonsaiNut
Ha That's not a sebae anemone Or at least it's not a H. malu, which is what most people call a sebae anemone.
well what is it?
Old 12/04/2003, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

it's a condy, IMHO
Old 12/04/2003, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I don't believe it is a condy... Unfortunately, there are two anemone species that are commonly confused with the common name "sebae anemone". They are H. malu and H. crispa. Most "sebae anemones" are H. malu, and are sand anemones. Some anemones sold as "sebae anemones" are H. crispa, and can be found in rock or sand in the wild. The easiest way to tell them apart is tentacle length - H. malu has short stumpy tentacles 1" in length or shorter, often with blue or purple tips. H. crispa has the longest tentacles of any clown anemone and tentacles can often exceed 6" in length. Tentacles tend to be one color.
Old 12/05/2003, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JnS
well what is it?
It is certainly not a Condylactis.

It can be only one of three species. It is either H. magnifica, H. crispa, or E. quadricolor. We would need a clearer photo of the column or base to know for sure. If I had to guess right now, I would say H. crispa. It would be interesting to see what this anemone would look like under bright metal halide lighting.

If you know what verrucae are, you can probably identify it yourself. They are the little bumps or dots on the column of an anemone, and tend to be in rows around the oral disk on the upper half of the column. E. quadricolor doesn't have any verrucae, and the ones on H. magnifica are very obscure. However on H. crispa they are abundant and quite obvious.

H. crispa is somewhat uncommon in the trade, and would be more valuable than either of the other two species, in my opinion. A huge H. crispa is awesome - but you need a big tank for one.

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 12/05/2003 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12/08/2003, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

OK, thanks. I've been away for a while.

According to what BN said, it is a Heteractis Crispa. It has the bumps, and has stayed on the rocks in relatively the same spot for the entire 10 months I've had it.
I had identified it as Malu when it was sick and bleached, and then it only had 1/2" tentacles. My bad.
BTW, this anemone doesn't have much of a sting either. It will irritate my skin a bit with a rash if I brush into it, but will not snag fish. My Six Line darts thru it all the time, hitting tentacles.

Bonsai Nut: What do you think the anemone would look like under bright MHs, say, 400w Radiums and VHO?? The anemone does have a nice green sheen under actinics. Would it become brighter, or would the purple spread from the tip down??

Joe

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 12/08/2003 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12/08/2003, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Oya, Soltaker.
My LFS told me they'd give me $10-15. LOL Same dive that sells little bleached ones for $40-50.
The clowns feed it just a litte every othe rday when I feed, and I feed %75 Prime Reef and %25 Formula One.
I used to give the anemone a mix of PR, F1, and minced prawn and scallops about 3x a month to help it while the zoox regrew.

Joe

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 12/08/2003 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12/08/2003, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro Reefer
Bonsai Nut: What do you think the anemone would look like under bright MHs, say, 400w Radiums and VHO?? The anemone does have a nice green sheen under actinics. Would it become brighter, or would the purple spread from the tip down??
Under brighter light, the colored pigment should darken up and spread, while the brown will stay more or less the same color. H. crispa can have completely purple tentacles, though I don't know for sure if your individual is one of the ones that goes totally purple...

They are probably my second favorite anemone species. Hey, if we're not careful, this thread may get moved OUT of the selling forums! It would be a first

Old 12/09/2003, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

After I asked you that question, I went looking around for pics and saw that one. Awesome!
I found some more pics of neat H. crispa, both blue, pink, and purple tentacles.

As the anemone grew, the purple tips have spread down the tentacles a bit. It used to have just a dot, and now the purple is 1/2" long. I don't think it would spread much more IMO, FWIW.
I also found out that the H. crispa may split in captivity. I had thought it was almost unheard of.
I do like the green glow thw anemone has, and would like to keep it. I am planning on a well lit tank of colorful montipora dig and cap, nice zos, LPS, clams and MANY anemones like rose BTA, purple LTAs, and such, each complete with an anemone crab.

Well, thanks for th tips, BN. I need to sell this thing though, now.

Joe
Old 12/09/2003, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro Reefer
I found some more pics of neat H. crispa, both blue, pink, and purple tentacles.

I also found out that the H. crispa may split in captivity. I had thought it was almost unheard of.
Be cautious about anemone pics on the Internet. I am not exagerating when I say that at least 50% of them are incorrect (misidentified). For example, I have never seen a photo of a blue or pink H. crispa. Additionally, I don't know where you found the information about H. crispa splitting in captivity, but as far as I know it has never been reported. It has certainly never been reported in any of the anemone books that I own, and I have never seen it myself If you can show me the link where you saw that, I would love to check it out. I hope they have some photos - if it is really a H. crispa splitting that would be awesome.
Old 12/09/2003, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Hydro Reefer: What is your timeline on selling this and are you willing to ship?
Old 12/11/2003, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Hydro e-mail sent...
Old 12/17/2003, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

PM sent to you two. ^^
Old 12/18/2003, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Sent Reply.
Old 12/18/2003, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

How close are you to the Wisconsin border?