Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/22/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

I had to tear my tank down , BIG LEAK , bye bye 240

after 2-3 years , the tank sprung a leak today and I had to tear it down.

after we got it empty , cant find any cracks, or anything, and on the outsides edges of the tanks they are all dry ,

its unexplainable ,

I dont understand how it can start leaking and U cant find where it is ,e speically after , its been up and running for that long with no problesm

I know it wasnt the stand, my dad is a carpenter and a good one ,and he built me a good solid level stand ,

oh wel , i saved a few xenia corals, and my 15 inch eel , , lionfish , clownfish, sailfin tang ,a nd hyellow tang in my 55 gallon

which Im going to have to give everythign away cause thats too small a tank for all that

If you can pick me up southdown ill pay shipping and time please help me
email me
Old 04/22/2007, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

assuming you have a glass tank, I had one where the silicone gave way and when the pressure was off, I couldn't see where the adhesion had quit. I also had one with a pin-hole leak that came from a bubble (in the silicone) which finally lost integrity.
Old 04/22/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

i got all the water ect out , but i had to leave becuase i had a Visitation to go to , but , later in the week , after i get it good and clean , im going to go over the whole tank inch by inch and seee what was going on . I think its along the bottom seam.

do you think it would ever be safe again to re silicone it and try it again

I mean now that i have an apartment and im not in school anymore, setting it up back with saltwater isnt going to happen , but I could have ciclids or something

let me know what you think

it was leaking realoly bad , until we took about half of the water out , then it went from leaking out fast , in several differen spots under the stand , to hardly not leaking at all.

If you can pick me up southdown ill pay shipping and time please help me
email me