Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Frag Tank Lighting 24/7 ???

I put out a small 35 gallon frag tank for softies that I am lighting with 110 Watts of CF lighting with 50/50 lamps about 10-12" from coral to light fixture. I will be upgrading the lighting soon.My question is how many hours should I run these lights or should a frag tank be on 24/7 ? Thanks in advance for your input. Tim

AM- 0
Rite- 0
Rate- 0
Phos- 0
PH- 8.0
SG- 1.026
Cal- 420
KH- 8.0 dKH
Alk- 2.51 meg/L
Mag- 1350
Temp-78-80
Old 04/14/2007, 01:06 PM
Moved On

i don't think they lights should be on more than 10-12 hours. i see where you're going with this, you want to grow as fast as possible but i've never heard of anyone keeping frag tank light on 24-7, i think it would have an ill affect on the coral but im not 100% sure. hth.
jake
Old 04/18/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm gonna go with Jake on this one. I imagine b/c corals are animals, they need rest. Ever notice how they close up at night??
Old 04/18/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Algae is the key, not the fact corals are animals. I have done experiments on terrestrial plants in which daylight hours were extended- and there is notable changes in output with increased daylight. The key is balance- if the algae are over illuminated it will harm the coral- this is usually true due to wattage though as opposed to saturation over time. The key issue is that all plants need down time- amd the only way to tell is to experiment. Be forwarned though that not all corals will respond equally, it might do great for one at 24 on 12 off and might kill another at 15 on 8 off. I would stick to nature as it works, but if you want to push the envelope a frag tank is ideal. 99% of what is good in this hobby has come from such experimentation.
Old 04/20/2007, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

i have talked to a radation profeser adn he said corals are done with photosince at 4 to 6 hours in most things, i have a 250MH with a phx 14k i run 4.5 hours twice a day. duble days is what i call it that way dont burn the corals up ...

my my pc tank i have i was rung them 16 to 18 hour a day i work long days and stay up late i started to *#*# my tank so i backed off and they do beter ...
Old 04/20/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Interesting concept- shorter photoperiods and shorter nights- that equal more lighting hours per week might be the way to go. Would be an interesting concept in the field of clams also.