Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2006, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Ocean Water

I have a 120 gallon reef tank and I am struggling with red bubble slime algae because I have a well and do not have RO and use the well water for the tank. I live right on the Atlantic in FL (about 10 miles North of the Sebastian Inlet) on a sparsely populated area of the beach. What are the pros and cons on using ocean water from the surf for water changes.

Thanks for the advice in advance
Old 10/28/2006, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

From what I have read, ocean water can cause a lot of problems. Firstly, the pH and what not would be different than the water you already have in your tank. Secondly, this water is coming directly from the ocean and you have no idea what kind of things are living in it. Most of the microorganisms that live in the ocean water would not be able to survive in the aquarium and would die, affecting your water quality.

However, at the same time, I am sure it can contain a lot of mineral and what not that would be benificial to your tank.

Is there not somewhere that you can go to buy RO water, or you can get one of the RO things that creates RO water from what you already have.
Old 10/28/2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input....

I can do the whole RO thing, but I was just curious if walking out in the surf and getting water from surf would save me the hassle of installing a RO. I checked the PH of the ocean and it is pretty close along with the salinity. The whole microrganism issue is all that is keeping me from wading out with buckets.

Thanks
Old 10/28/2006, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Hi Knightking,
I live in the US Virgin Islands. My tank has had nothing but ocean water since inception and I have had zero problems. The only caveat to that would be that my tank is stocked completely with locally caught marine life.
I have found that it is better to collect at least 100' from shore as my salinity here is much higher real close to shore.
Hope that helps.
Best Wishes,
Jim
Old 10/28/2006, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

I use Natural Sea Water (NSW) for all my water changes. I get it one hour before high tide to get the incoming water. I also get it from shore using a sump pump, hose and container. I don't filter the NSW. although some people do. I have never had a problem and the corals and anemones perk right up upon its addition. I'm definitely very pleased with the results and will continue to do so. By the way, I have 5 - 160 gallon buckets of IO salt in my garage and two RO systems. The salt goes unused.

The cons would be if you pick up during a red tide. it's rare, just be careful.

The NSW would not eliminate your need to get an ro for topoffs. I would get an RO/DI instead by the way.
Old 10/28/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

but arn't the shores from the ocean like natures skimmers? and would not be good for water in your tank which is why it would be a good idea to get the water out from the shore?
Old 10/28/2006, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

granted given the two options, I would prefer to pick up my water offshore. Unfortunately, It's not practical for me. One thing I noticed If I pick it up on windy days there is more sand particles in the water column. on calm days the water is crystal clear. I used to used to test it and never had a problem.

There are areas of some beaches where sometimes there is a foam build up on shore. I just don't pick up from there. nor do I pick up after a rainstorm, due to the sewage runoff.

I'm pretty sure the commercial NSW suppliers here pick up from shore also.
Old 10/28/2006, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I would use RO. With ocean water, you never know what could be in it (pollutants, etc). Especially after a storm event, the water near shore would have a lot of runoff from land.
Old 10/28/2006, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

lcdd where is s fl are you located i'm in hollywood?