Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2004, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

here is my buddys 525, the stand is going to be finished off. All equipment is going to be on the other side of the wall. The stand is a beast! the guy in the red sweatshrit made the stand.

Git-r-done...
Old 02/03/2004, 04:26 PM
Moved On

Lowes has outdoor deck screws for preasure treated lumber. They are a green color and not susposed to rust with the coating they have. I used these on my stand for the 180, which is all 2x4 with 3/4" plywood top with foam between the tank and stand. I used the double header system. like the pics.
Old 02/03/2004, 04:28 PM
Moved On

The pics. that were posted on the other threads.
Old 02/03/2004, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Keep in mind the load on the tank is only supported by the rim around the bottom of the tank, so plywood is not neccessary and doesn't do anything for you . I have built several from wood all of which were big time overkill, kike the ones other responders are showing . Did you ever look how flimsy the store bought stands are???? They are scary!!! Particleboard crap.

I found with a drilled tank and corner overflows it was difficult to use the wood stands as the drain lines interfered with the stand itself. I recently built steel stands for my fish room that easily holds all my tanks and provides complete access . I used 1 3/4" square tubing with about 3/32" wall thickness ( thin stuff ) it cuts easy and welds easy . It's straight to!! Not like wood!!

Put strips of cork or hard rubber strips under the edges of the tank to even out any stresses created by an uneven stand surface.
Old 02/03/2004, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vortextoolman
Keep in mind the load on the tank is only supported by the rim around the bottom of the tank, so plywood is not neccessary and doesn't do anything for you .
This is only true for glass tanks Acrylic tanks need full bottom support

But Honey it won't be that expensive of a hobby!!!
Old 02/03/2004, 11:24 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang
This is only true for glass tanks Acrylic tanks need full bottom support
Agreed.. Acrylic tanks must always be fully supported underneath.
Old 02/04/2004, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Yes! Good point on the acrylic tanks. I assumed we were talking about glass only.............
Old 02/07/2004, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

LIL Sweet LOrd how much did the tank itself weigh? it looks like its in a basement what had to happen to get that down there? LOL