Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Propagated Corals & Tank Raised Livestock Selling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2003, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

FS: Tank Bred Baby Banggai Cardinals in Central CA

We have 11 tank bred 2.5 month old Banggai Cardinals for sale. They were born on Sept. 28th and are approx. 1" long. They are eating frozen brine but still prefer the live stuff if given a choice. We haven't tried feeding flake as we never feed our tanks flake. These are 2nd generation tank bred meaning that their grandparents were wild caught and their parents were tank bred (by fingerwrinkles). Attached is a pic of them approx. 3 weeks ago. They look pretty much the same, just a little bigger now.

$10 each. Pickup only. They are located in Manteca CA but we can make arrangements for them to be picked up in Davis CA. If you ask me to ship, I will say NO. I will be attending the MARS meeting this Friday (first time), so I can make arrangements to meet there.

If interested or have any questions, please email me at: admartin@ucdavis.edu . I check my email more often, so you'll have a more timely response if you email me. Thank you.

Arlan
Old 12/17/2003, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

You got mail.
Old 12/17/2003, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Arlan
Is Fairfield too far to meet up?I would like to take 2

plmk rene
Old 12/17/2003, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

8 are being held at the moment... 3 are still available...

Arlan
Old 12/17/2003, 05:33 PM
Huahine Sunset

Been looking for some tank raised cardinals. Too bad you're so far away. Hope you find good homes for them all.

-Chris
Old 12/17/2003, 05:48 PM
Reefer Power (2.1 KW)

If you have 2 left by mid-January, I can pick them up in Davis. Please put me on your list. Great excuse to drive up to Davis ... Fuji's ...

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12/17/2003, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I think all the babies are spoken for at the moment. We'll see after this weekend if all the deals actually go through. If not, you'll be next on the list Jim. Thanks everyone.

Arlan
Old 12/17/2003, 07:37 PM
Reefer Power (2.1 KW)

Thanks Arlan, just email or PM me with status. If no luck now, maybe the next litter.
Jim
Old 12/17/2003, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Jim,

You may just be in luck, we already have another litter of two babies that are about two weeks old. Though I'm not sure if they will be ready in January, but they might.

Rian
Old 12/17/2003, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Rian, even if they are ready in January, which I doubt, we definetely won't be... I think we're looking at mid-February realistically.

Arlan
Old 12/17/2003, 08:13 PM
Reefer Power (2.1 KW)

No rush, just let me know when I can pick them up in Davis. Feb, Mar, April Picnic Day, ...

Jim
Old 12/17/2003, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Undergrad....................... Not looking to buy anything But what did you use as your guide to raising the cardinals? the famous Joyce wilkersons Clown fish book? I think that raising tank bred fish in the saltwater trade is beyond cool, cause one its not the norm and frankly anytime we can do something to not to take away from the ocean is all the much better. Within the next month Im redoing the basement and one area is going to be the Breeding/ fragging area to trade others and buy more stuff to grow and frag and to basically finance My habit and provide things that are not overpriced to any hobbiest.
Old 12/18/2003, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Adam,
Glad to hear about your plans. The more people non-commercially breeding SW fish, the better IMO. Wish I had the funds to do what you're undertaking.

As for your question, raising baby banggai is much easier than raising clowns. You skip the whole step of raising rotifers and start them out directly on baby brine (its better if you enrich them with omega-3 fatty acids - i.e. selcon). The best place to get information for breeding and raising Banggai Cardinals is probably at the Fishbreeding Forum here on RC. HTH and good luck. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Arlan
Old 12/18/2003, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

i am in Livermore and interested, do you have any more available? Paul
Old 12/18/2003, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, all of them are in the process of being sold. We should occasionally have other clutches available in the coming months. If you're interested, shoot me a PM every once in a while and I'll let you know when we may have some more available. Thanks.

Arlan