Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

ID Please

This thing appeared on my live rock shortly after I purchased it. I did not think much of it and figured it would eventally just go away. It is now noticablly larger, about the size of a marble, and there is a second one. This one is very tiny and about four inches away from the first one on the same rock. I am wondering what it might be and if it could disrupt my tank harmony. So far I have had no problem with the first one and it seems to be thriving and growing.

Thanks,

55 gal FOWLR
-Coral Beauty
-Lawnmower Blenny
-Ocellaris Clownfish (x2)
-Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
-Peppermint Shrimp
-Purple Urchin
-Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Old 08/15/2007, 07:39 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

It is a bubble algae. Remove it and the other one. But do your best not to pop it.

Trust me they can/will take over your tank.

They don't cause any real harm, but they are super annoying. In fact I am going to redo my 58 because of it.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

my guess is bubble alage. get tweezers and pull it out, but don't pop it.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

- sorry accidental post & not authorized to delete it
Old 08/15/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Bubble algae. If you pop it when you try to remove it, it will spread spores through the water and the spores will settle in the tank and make more. Just think of it like a regular old land mushroom. When the open up and spread the spores that's how they reproduce. Basically like a bunch of tiny seeds.
Old 08/16/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

someone suggested to me that if it was possible to take the piece of rock out of the tank do so and try to chip the bubbles off while still attched to the rock. thus minimizing chance of spread
Old 08/16/2007, 05:49 PM
clams are your friends.

don't go through the hassle of removing rocks. That one will be very easy to nix. put your hand in there and yank it out.
Old 08/16/2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilfishgirl
someone suggested to me that if it was possible to take the piece of rock out of the tank do so and try to chip the bubbles off while still attched to the rock. thus minimizing chance of spread
I have done this with great success. When doing a water change I pull the rock out and put the rock with bubble algae on it in old water. Then I carefully as though i was doing it in the DT and remove them. This way if they spread the spores most of them are in the water being thrown out. Works for me, I have not seen any in a long time.

What have you got to lose?
Old 08/16/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

you can just siphon them out usually, they don't have that good of hold on the rock, plus if you siphon them and they break the spores will leave the tank with the water that is being siphoned.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Good idea oct2274. I would suggest to try that first. If that doesn't work just pluck it out.