Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/01/2006, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

mag levels

my mag level is 1450 and im seeing less polyp extension i mix io and oceanic which i will monitor how do i drop mag level or do you just wait it out,thanks mike
Old 03/01/2006, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

The recommended level is 1250-1350. so you're not really out of whack. If you have lots of coralline it will aid in the useup rate. (If you don't you may soon). If you stick with weekly water changes the level should subside.

Have you been adding any suppliments for Mag., or is this the level achieved by the salt mix? If it's just the salt, then the source for high Mag. is likely Oceanic. IO usually mixes to a Mag. level of 1170-1200. Maybe just use IO for your next couple of water changes.
Old 03/01/2006, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

definatly salt mix i made to changes because i thought something was wrong and its because of the mix ill let it ride thanks for the advice i usually keep it at1300-1350 solid but its prob the reason for less polyp extension