Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

$600 Per Polyp?!?!?

That can't be right, about halfway down the page they're askin' $600 for a single polyp, i'm thinkin' that's gotta be a typo, those zoas aint even that nice

http://www.reefenvy.com/Zoanthids.html
Old 09/04/2006, 05:36 PM
Zoanthid proper

nope thats what ppl try to get for them. And yea i wouldnt pay more than 10$ a poly for them. They are kinda ugly. Hell when i got my PPEs i only paid 25 for 4 of them lol.
Old 09/04/2006, 06:44 PM
Losing my mind

Unfortunately majestic sea life is correct...that is the going rate. I'd like to think that if things grew faster or maybe people let their colonies grow out before fragging (could contribute to faster growth because of less stress?) prices would drop. However, since our society is powered by the almighty dollar I think that my theory is just a pipedream
Old 09/04/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

When he says, "Growth is eternalm," that isn't sarcasm. That really means there's 0 growth. It's all about supply and demand. I don't understand why someone would want to pay $600 for zoos that don't grow though.
Old 09/04/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

You'd think they could afford a nicer website charging prices like that.
Old 09/04/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Yeah...the site isn't all that great looking... although maybe they can't afford it cuz their prices are so high..they aren't selling anything..heh.
Old 09/04/2006, 09:07 PM
Moved On

there is a thread somewhere here where someone bought a few polyps from them I do believe...disposable funds I suppose. To each their own.
Old 09/04/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

i will definately take it after i cash in my lottery ticket.
Old 09/05/2006, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

So it's the color that no one has? Orange and Wine?
Old 09/05/2006, 12:32 AM
SPS Freak

It's just one of those people who can list it for whatever they want. There is always one sucker who will buy it. Obviously he isn't selling many of them as I haven't seen it go. No more till Jan 2008 seems more of a marketing step imo. In one year you should at least have quite a few of them.

Personally I just laugh at it. All it does for me is not order from a place like that. I just can't support a business that overcharges on stuff like that. JMO
Old 09/05/2006, 08:36 AM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k

Personally I just laugh at it. All it does for me is not order from a place like that. I just can't support a business that overcharges on stuff like that. JMO
agree completely, he will never get any of my business. had he kept it at 100 per i might give him some leeway, but at 600 i just laugh.
Old 09/05/2006, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]All it does for me is not order from a place like that. I just can't support a business that overcharges on stuff like that. JMO [/B]
I'll third that.

What I think is so kind of ridiculous is that they are right below the bam bam oranges which are going for $5/polyp, still a bit much but at least reasonable. The two dont really differ that much aside from the green mouth, and apparently growth rate. So for $600 you can buy one polyp of the envy orange PPEs or 120 of the bam bams. Or of course you could get like 80-100 frags through vendors offering frag packs or fellow reefers and then have a full tank with some very nice zoa's.
Old 09/05/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

heh , im going to buy a 850g tank .. and just buy that single polyp and put it in the middle .

Even better , win the lotto .. Then get a zoa eating nudi and video tape it eating it just to aggrivate people .

The main thing is , it could color morph eventually ( could just be a rpe that "faded" funny ) ..

so in a year and a couple months another polyp will grow? Im sure he knows in a year they will be like 45 a polyp . People like that disgust me , even worse the people who buy it.
Old 09/05/2006, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Even at $45 a polyp your a idiot, IMO.
Old 09/05/2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

i like the fact that the pic shows three polyps and they are selling two of them - cool - so i see how its done now - buy a three polyp frag cut two off and sell them individually - vacation in figi - gotta love capitalism
Old 09/05/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Better yet. The first frag of this got sold in the "tank raised corals" section on here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8080045#post8080045

Even managed to make a quick $50 turn around.

And here is a link to a thread in the reef discussion forum in case anyone missed it.

http://http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=922253

A prime example of someone new to the hobby and trying to figure out whats so special with these polyps.

Actually, I've been in the hobby for awhile now and I'm still trying to learn what is so special with these particular polyps as well. Maybe they'll do my laundry, or upgrade my tank from a 40 to a fully equipped 120.
Old 09/05/2006, 09:34 PM
SPS Freak

He made 50 but not technically. He either grew another polyp or didn't.

To me, this is the same as the PHE's which were HEAVILY photoshopped. A guy on here bought some and said the only way they looked like what was in the picture was under pure actinic. That was an illegal colony obtained though.
Old 09/06/2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys I am going to stick my neck out for JC since I have known him for years and he is a great guy. I have seen his tanks personally as I am always going to his house to get frags and I can tell you that the growth on those envy orange ppe's is non-existent, in fact I don't think that he has had any growth at all other than the polyps sticking to the rock. I know he has tried various techniques to get them to grow but they just will not spread and mind you he has had them for some time now (probably 4 + years). Also let me assure you that these things are as orange as can be and are not the faded rpe's that people are trying to pass off as the envy oranges. The envy oranges are by far the nicest people eater polyps that I have ever seen and completely blow the original PPE's out of the water, I know this because JC has almost all of the different people eaters out there and even some that I bet most of you have never seen before. As for the web site I don't think it has been updated much since this isn't really JC's main business just a way to make a little extra cash to support this expensive hobby and he is normally very busy with work and such which leaves him little time to work on the website.
Old 09/06/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

The guy that was selling the 2 polyps of Envy orange for 650 and 2 polyps of Wine for 100, said he was selling because he was getting out of the hobby..... No wonder! If I paid $700 for 2 or 4 polyps, I never would have stated this hobby. Thats crazy!
Old 09/06/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

"...this isn't really JC's main business just a way to make a little extra cash to support this expensive hobby...."

Ironic isn't it?
Old 09/06/2006, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

So, just a question on the relativity that is usually overlooked. Should I read from this that no one here has ever bought baseball cards, comic books, rounds of golf, sports cars, or other collectibles or hobby related items that others thought were way over priced? I think if anyone looks at their own purchases, they'll find that they fit the descriptions and names they are calling others. I agree the price is awfully high on Envy Orange and can't justify the cost myself (or I'd have had some a few years ago when they were only $50-100 per polyp), but before people start calling names, they should really look at their own lives... As we all have the ability to defecate, I guess the saying stands that we should all be entitled to our opinions, but name calling really shows maturity. If someone were being ripped off by misrepresentation, that is one thing, but that is not the case here. Does anyone out there know anyone that actually has Envy Oranges (and I'm not talking the true RPE's that turn Orange under lower K lighting, I'm talking actual Envy Oranges)? If so, do they get any growth? All accounts I've heard on them is that there is almost no growth at all, over a years time... I know the price is high, but if I want a Porsche over a Pinto, no one has any place to tell me I'm an idiot because I got something I wanted...
Old 09/06/2006, 07:41 PM
Keeping It Real

Let'em have it Gary... lol I agree... Its all about supply and demand... If you think the price is over your head, don't pay it... If you think its worth that price and you want it badly enough you'll pay it... Can't hate on someone willing to give the price you're unwilling to...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 09/06/2006, 07:58 PM
SPS Freak

Nice guy or not, you cannot say 600 a polyp is not bending someone over. I have some corals that I'm sure people do not have but I don't try to rip someone off by charging extreme amounts. Just my opinion though.
Old 09/06/2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Allow me to just point out...

Quote:
Originally posted by gflat65
I agree the price is awfully high on Envy Orange and can't justify the cost myself (or I'd have had some a few years ago when they were only $50-100 per polyp), [/B]
Yet JC's friend said "I can tell you that the growth on those envy orange ppe's is non-existent, in fact I don't think that he has had any growth at all other than the polyps sticking to the rock. I know he has tried various techniques to get them to grow but they just will not spread and mind you he has had them for some time now (probably 4 + years)."

So he's had the same few polyps for 4 years with no growth. He tried to sell the polyps a few years ago for $50-100 per polyp. Now he's recently jacked the price up to $600 per polyp.

Brilliant marketing strategy, I must say, since everyone in the online reefing community has heard of "Envy Orange" now, but I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that JC isn't trying to rip people off with this laughable price.

With that said, whoever is foolish enough to pay that price for this rather boring and nongrowing (yeah it makes it rare, but how is a nongrowing coral a good thing?) coral deserves to lose that cash. I just don't think JC deserves to receive that cash. Whatever though, I'm not involved either way, unless I get to personally point and laugh at whoever buys it (which I'd love to do).
Old 09/06/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

lol . how long a single zoanthid polyp lives?