Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Schuran Jetstream/ Deltec or Korallin Calcium Reactors

Hi All,
Last peice of the jigsaw puzzle.

Looking at buying a calicium reactor and have narrowed it down to several brands.

Korallin C4001
Deltec PF1001
Schuran Jetstream 2

Given the first two are the brands that seem to come up most frequently in Oz im wondering on what peoples thoughts are on these items. The jetstream Ill have to order in from Europe.

The reactor will be utilised to run 3 tanks approx volume of water will be 4000lts, there will be a mixture of coral/clams in each tank, but will most likely be dominated by acro's.

The tanks (1 @ 10ft*30in*30in and 2 @ 6ft*30in*30in) willl be lit with 400w MH every 2ft.

I imagine ill need a reactor that will be able to keep up with a heavy demands put on it by specimens kept.

Which reactor is best suited to my setup? (that is if there is such a thing as best?)

Is there another brand that you could recommend. People experience with above brands would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Frankie

Last edited by sonofstarstamps; 12/14/2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

I would say it would be between the Deltec PF1001 or Schuran Jetstream 2. Deltec sometime have problem with there pumps but a lot of guy really like the Schuran Jetstream 2 once you get it dialed in. Another thing these use 2 different types of media.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply reefaholic,
I am leaning heavily toward schuran but there appears to be little info from actual owners.
Would like to hear from any Jetstream owners before finally comitting a sizeable chunk of money on this reactor.
Cheers,
Frankie
Old 12/17/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I've used a Schuran Jetstream 1 and currently a Korallin 1502, I like the Jetstream better but you have to get a metering doser, i used the aquamedic SP, to get it to drip consistently. The korallin is nice and small but i hate restarting the pump when you need to prime it, not an regular task but a pain since you have to tilt it quite a bit and occasionally some media will get sucked into the intake. My next reactor is either a Deltec or the newer AquaC (too small for your tank). Maybe a GEO might be good for you.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I obviously own a smaller model ( the pico ) And although the build quality is outstanding and performance is very good. I had ran into a problem which you might want to be aware of .

If you have any problems or need a replacement fitting ( All I needed was a simple T and valve )

The bottom blue tee had broken , No vendors ( not their fault though , schuran was not answering them I suppose since most of them tend to buy from a warehouse and not direct with schuran ) , and me writing German and english emails to the company I was unable to find or locate this simple tee fitting . As for drilling a large hole which due to how its built wouldnt work , was not not much of an option .

Fantastic product just keep in mind if something goes wrong , and the place you are buying from carrys no warranty on it . you are basically screwed to put it lightly.