Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Naso won't eat

Naso won't eat
tried live brine shrimp, frozen mysis, dried green algae, frozen bloodworms, flakes.

Ideas?
Old 12/07/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

just an idea
try dried cyclopeeze
they really smell so maybe it will perk his interest
if there not to small for him
Old 12/07/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

I have never seen a naso that did not like nori..

Try pellet food.... My old naso used to love marine pellets with garlic... He would go crazy over it....
Old 12/07/2007, 04:54 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
nori or ogo... aka tang heaven

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/07/2007, 08:38 PM
Reefer

I've started many tangs by taking small rubble rock and rubber banding a folded up piece of Nori (soaked with one of the garlic products) to it. Then I wedge it into my rockwork and they will usually start grazing on it. Then after a week or two, I can just drop the rock with the attached nori onto the sand bed. After more time, they will usually start grabbing the nori that floats up off the rock into the water column.

Eventually, they will start to feed from food dropped into the water column. However, I did have a Powder Blue that took 2 years to start eating food from the water column. Most tangs have figured it out much sooner.

As tangs naturally graze in the ocean, I've found that this is a good way to start them eating.

Joyce
Old 12/07/2007, 09:40 PM
Mortar Target

How long have you owned said naso?
Old 12/07/2007, 09:50 PM
SPS Freak

Rubberband trick should work. Also try chaeto. For some reason most I've seen love that stuff. I soak my nori in garlic/selcon to encourage eating with new tangs. Works great. See if anyone in your area has red gracilera(can't recall spelling). It is the red macro algae also known as red heaven as mentioned above.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Reefer

Yes, I've used chaeto and red gracilera in addition to the nori with the rubberband method. I've also wrapped flake foods that are made for tangs in the nori so that as they start to eat it, they find and test out the seaweed flakes.

Joyce