Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2006, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

adding LRs to established system

any advice from experienced reefers here on adding LRs to an established system?
just got LRs abt twice the amt of those currently in my 3ft, was out of water ard 2hrs. is there a need for them to go thru 1mth of curing again?
will need to re-aquascape one of these days, any advice on the frequency i shld add in the new LRs?
and is it adviceable to remove my fishes first b4 re-aquascape?
Old 06/12/2006, 03:58 AM
Registered Member

If it was only out of water for 2 hours I think you should be ok. To be on the safe side you could put them in a seperate container with saltwater and check parameters over a few days. If everything is ok then the rock is ok to add.
If all the LR is fully cured you can add it all at once, It would probably be easier to remove the fish but that is up to you.
Old 06/12/2006, 09:47 AM
Moved On

put it in a bucket for a week or so with a power head any sponges on the LR will die off from the air along with some other things on the rock test water when its about rite add slowly to your tank over the corse of another week
Old 06/12/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Give it some time in a bucket or tank outside your set up to be safe, you put that much time and money into doing it right in the first palce why screw it up with haste, JMO
Jim