Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

leaking HOB overflow sealing question?

Posted this in DIY forum also, didn't know where it belonged:

Hi All,
I am helping a friend set up his 55G. We got everything up and ready to go with the wet/dry. When we went to fill the back (external) side of the overflow, it was dripping from the mid to bottom of the seal where it seems to be a bad weld-on job. Can something like this be fixed with weld-om or silicone. Our LFS does not have any of these in stock, and I need to try to fix this one, at least temporarily. Thank you in advance for any help.

-Jay
Old 10/31/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

What kind of HOB is it? If the bulkhead at the bottom is leaking bad I don't know if I'd risk it. They are dangerous enough even when running properly. I know because I have one too. How bad is it leaking?
Old 10/31/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

it is actually where the two pieces of acrylic are sealed together.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Hmmm. If you could epoxy it WELL, I guess you could do it. But as soon as those things get air into them you lose your siphon. I would be worried that it would eventually fail.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

use weldon 16 on the inside seam.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I cracked one and and ran PVC glue into the crack and let it dry there. Made a filet in the corner. Then spead glue on outside also.
I then tested to make sure the glue held and put water in for a couple of days to make sure leak was fixed. This held for over 2 years. I have since sold the tank and the overflow went with it.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the replies. I thijnk I will try the weld-on 16. We have some time now. I went ahead and bought him a new one in the meantime from the other LFS. I may just try to take the other one back to the original LFS though. You know how this hobby goes, once you put water in it, its hard to return.